anonymous
Years ago

should joey wright get the sack?

this is a very harsh topic but there is reasoning behind this.

1. last year they had a good enough roster to play in the playoffs. moore, sobey, wiley, DJ might be missing someone.

2. joey wright has been coaching at adelaide for how long now 7 or so years.

3. if he doesnt get to the playoffs this year there has to be massive ??? surrounding his future at this team. having griffin, DJ, Moore and randle should be at least top 6 in the league very close to playoff contention.

4. but the way they played against sydney DIDI didnt play and bogut was injured for a good half of the game and still lost by 21 points yes they came back from america and had to play sydney away but randle and DJ were the only shining lighst there bench is terrible.

5. the management of adelaide needs to be looked at and who they sign because they have DJ whos a very good player they lost wiley they now have randle i dont think moore is up too being a import in this league anymore but maby hes only playing because hes cheap.

6. this adelaide team has potential but maybe its the coaching staff if they go 0 and 3 the has to be concerns over the coach and the GM on what imports they sign and what aussie players they sign for there bench.

thoughts!!!!!

Topic #46087 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, Lemanis should. Everyone knows that.

Reply #768553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel like the Phoenix coach should be sacked.

Reply #768556 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

im not talking about other coaches am i im talking about joey wright and yes lemanis should be sacked but wont because he is the australian national team coach

Reply #768558 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Budget has something to do with this. How much money do you think the 36ers spend on roster? Well I'll give you a hint - it would be less than half of what Sydney, Perth and Melbourne spend. If you want to know why the Sixers aren't making the playoffs, have a look at that. We cannot afford the talent and depth those teams have. I mean look at Melbourne's bench. Most of those guys would start on almost every other team in the league.

Reply #768560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Well I'll give you a hint - it would be less than half of what Sydney, Perth and Melbourne spend."

Rubbish.

Reply #768565 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

i understand budget i pretty sure i put that in but coaches need to get the best out of there players and they did make a grand final a couple years back aswell because they had good veteran players shannan shorter they had creek

Reply #768570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some questionable recruiting.

Much has been said about teys.

Attitude/culture wise? Few hot heads in the team.

Johnson has been there how long and can't use his left to wipe his ass.

Froling will be come an enigma. Potential has a shelf life.

Drmic showed so much promise coming out of Boise st, had a great record setting career, he hasn’t seemed to improve much at all.

Interesting to see if susceptible to some defence again with lack of shooters and domestic level schemes (high/low) to combat it.

Reply #768575 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Personally I think a lot of English teachers should be sacked.

Reply #768579 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Not sure how you can look at this roster and say the coaching staff is the issue.
The players just aren't good enough this season.

Reply #768593 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I can't wipe my ass with my left hand! Just sayin...

Reply #768595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As the losses mount up for Adelaide expect more of these hilarious threads.

Reply #768596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to agree, cant wipe my arse either with my left hand!

Reply #768598 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

the recruiting side of things is what the coaches do aswell

Reply #768599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No not at all
So quick to push the panic button

Reply #768604 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So quick to push the panic button

This isn't a post by a 36ers fan. There have always been more than a few anti-Joey obsessives on here usually from Perth that look for any excuse to start these threads. The team is 0-1 and this clown is calling for his head lol

Here is the giveaway OP isn't a Sixers fan:

1. last year they had a good enough roster to play in the playoffs.

Not we or us but "they".

Reply #768608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this the annual Fire Joey thread or what? Wish we can go back how many years and the same thing is posted.

Reply #768611 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Have to agree on the left hand thing. I can make a layup with my left hand but no way can I wipe my arse with it or carry out another important male function. Rightie all day

Reply #768613 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Line up isn't good enough to do anything this year. Joey can coach however he likes but you can't make a Honda a Ferrari. And it's not up to Joey who is in the team, and that was made apparent when Randle was picked up. That was entirely a management decision for crowds. And it was also, to me, the 36ers admitting they don't have the talent to win games so you might as well just fill seats.

Reply #768614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bad contracts - so management to blame as much as anyone..

Joey a 5 year extension was crazy.
Signing Moore for 2 years
signing Teys and White
Doyle for 2 years

stuffing around Mitch creek

I'm going to support no matter what but sometimes i wonder who makes the contract decisions.

Reply #768615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Here is the giveaway OP isn't a Sixers fan:"

Thanks Detective Zodiac. Now explain how you know these threads are started by Perth people?

Reply #768621 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Because smart arse it doesn't usually take them long to start going on about Joey punching their assistant coach at the time back in his first year as Sixers coach.

Reply #768624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Detective Zodiac lol.

Some Adelaide fans are sensetive.
I don't think Zodiac likes Perth haha.

Reply #768626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What?

Reply #768627 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sack Joey.

Reply #768633 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not we or us but "they".
Maybe anonymous doesn't subscribe to the absurd notion that watching the team on TV once in a while actually makes them part of the organisation?

Reply #768634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, remember that time Joey punched our assistant coach???

Wait, not "our", "their" assistant coach. I'm not from perth, honest I'm not!

Reply #768640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When one only looks at the negatives with a pessimist mindset things will always look bad.

Joeys a great coach if you only bother to look at the positives, of which there are plenty.

He aint perfect, neither is the roster or the admin. But they are my team.

People should lay off coach, perhaps even reflect on the years before Joey rebirthed the 36ers from the edge of extinction.

Reply #768644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leave Joey alone pussies.

Reply #768656 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

No don't sack Wright, my rationale being :

- We are 0-1 against a red hot Sydney, hardly panic stations.
- Wright has 2 more years on his contract after this year. We would have to pay him out.
- We do not have the financial clout to punch at the levels of the top three, 6 teams are essentially vying for 1 playoff spot, it's not easy.
- Wright can be a hot head but over all he has had a more positive impact on the organisation than negative. Please remember who was there before Wright.
- Wright has shown with the right mix we can push to contend a la the Shorter / Childress / Moore year.
- Mitch Creek is not Wright's fault.

Reply #768659 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

I would take Joey over the Marty Clarke/Ninnis era in a heartbeat
is it because they were bad coaches or because Adelaide didn't have good players? Who cares. they were bad days

Reply #768660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is gold. Using most metrics Joey will go down as the top 2 or 3 NBL coaches of all time. If you throw in limitations of Adelaide spend on players maybe higher.

Maybe we should just go back to the title town era where they were spending all of BASA's revenue and Government grants on cheating and paying players outside what was allowed in order to win titles.

Reply #768662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey's definitely a good coach but he's only won one title, I wouldn't have him even close to the top 2 or 3 NBL coaches of all time.

Reply #768663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dudes a cancer. Hasn't really achieved anything of significance. Brought a championship in Brisbane. Other than that mediocre results.

Reply #768664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We do not have the financial clout to punch at the levels of the top three.." nor get the tickets out in a timely manner.
They do however have bargain hot dogs @$5.

Reply #768666 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Joey's been a great coach for the Sixers getting us to a couple of Grand Finals but I wouldn't have him close to the Top 2 or 3 coaches of all-time.

Reply #768668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least 768598 has an arse and you should practice wiping it with your left hand.
Don't know why the others would be trying to wipe their ass. There can't be that many Australians with donkeys.

Reply #768672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Using most metrics Joey will go down as the top 2 or 3 NBL coaches of all time."

Behind Goorjian and Gleeson?

Reply #768674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes x1000. If the club wasn't in financial issues Joey would have been sacked last season. Players leave because of Joey. Every star they've had end up in his doghouse

Reply #768698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers can't afford to sack this man even if they wanted to. They have no real money to play with. I’m hoping his contract won’t be renewed though, he hasn’t done much but talk a lot this past few seasons.

Reply #768778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won a cheating championship. That is meaningless. Was an average player and in all reality is an average coach.

Reply #768782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright or "Joey" as they call him in South Australia is insignificant.

Wish people would stop crapping on about Adelaide having limited funds.

Reply #768783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But they do have limited funds. This is the main reason he hasn't been sacked, they’d have to pay him out, with those limited funds...

Reply #768785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 years of Joey. Enjoy.

Reply #768786 | Report this post

B-ball  
Years ago

Haha @ Lemanis should be sacked.

Yeah, good luck with that one (national coach or not).

Won a cheating championship? Nice try.

Reply #768842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 years of Joey.
Sucks to be Adelaide.

Reply #768843 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Bullets title with Joey. Biggest cap iss take * of all time.

Reply #768844 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's a seasonal thing...

Adelaide fans are only allowed to rubbish their Team and Coach in the pre-season, post-season, off-season, and end-of season if they don't make the playoffs. Any criticism during the season must therefore come from Perf fans.
NB: This doesn't apply to rubbishing Management & Ownership who are fair game all year round.

We know its a Perf fan because anybody else would be too busy yelling "suckit Perf, Gleeson is a flog."

Reply #768848 | Report this post

Jo  
Years ago

Pains me to say it, but Joey must go now. Been given every chance, but no results, but excuses. Killing culture of our club.

Reply #774523 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754