anonymous
Years ago

Illawarra hawks

I like the look of this Illawarra hawks team.

Lamelo ball has been playing well enough to be a starter.
aaron brooks is a scorer and plays solid Defense.
AJ ogilvy is too inconsistent.
Blanchfield is decent.
Boone has doent much but he just got injured so give him the benfit of the doubt.
but yes they have young players off the bench but what are they building for there bringing 30 odd imports so are they going for a championship or not if they are bring in a 3rd power forward shooter type so there starting 5 looks like this .
PG Aaron Brooks.
SG Lamelo Ball
SF Todd Blanchfield.
PF Import
C Josh Boone

bench
PG emmett narr
SG Dan Grida
SF Tim Coenraad
PF andersen/froling
C AJ Ogilvy

this team has alot of potential it seems to be that they dont have money but if they can bring it a import 4 so they can play coenradd off the bench then this team could be a playoff contender.

Topic #46088 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why haven't they already done this?
Carmelo Anthony?

Reply #768603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was Carmelo i'd legitimately do it.

Reply #768612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech should be coming on as an early sub, he plays defence. Grida is all media hype, not that good. Coenradd can play four spot. Froling should be third back up five man on very limited minutes.

Reply #768620 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Illawarra isn't that good a team. They're filled with the odds and ends left over from other teams, and Aaron Brooks. LaMelo Ball is an exciting talent, but he's just a kid, and everything he has done is being blown out of proportion because of his potential and because of the style he has. If Cedric Jackson was producing at just the rate LaMelo is, you'd be asking some questions and maybe packing his bags for him.

Hard to imagine them not being bottom 2 at this point.

Reply #768629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this will be a up & down year for the Hawks but if they can keep this young group together ( Narr, Grida, Dech, Glover & Froling ) in the upcoming years & get good imports & keep players like Blanchfield they will be a good team.
Big problem for the Hawks is the bigger teams will come after the younger guys with more money

Reply #768658 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I really like the look of this team and yeah they may be the team full of odds and sods from other teams but I like players like Ogilvy and Froling and I'm excited to see more Angus Glover...

However I think the Achilles heel is definitely the coach, he seems so unproven and I'd be fascinated to see what Bevo could have done with this squad this season

Reply #769260 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

As someone from Sydney, I've been struggling with liking this team, but they really are very enjoyable to watch, moreso than the last few seasons... I agree though that it would have been great to have seen what Bevo could have done with them, but if Matt can have a solid season and grow into the HC role, it could be a good long term move...

I just wish there wasn't another boost in ticket prices this season, as that could really put off a lot of people and having yet another poor average attendance will look pretty bad, especially with Lamelo only here for one season, if that...

Reply #769272 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754