D2.0
Years ago

Is Hunt a Good Fit for this League and the Cats?

Just once I'd like to get an import that actually matches Gleeson's claims.

Hunt was supposed to be an athletic centre who could run the floor and protect the rim.

He actually seems like a good player, and he'll get even better once he settles in. But he's just hopelessly outmatched in this league.

Watching him trying to guard Nate was comical.
Maybe he was once as athletic as hyped and age has caught up with him??

In this league, you'd be pretty happy with him starting at the 4, occasionally backing up the 5, and/or coming off the bench as an impact player. But as your starting centre???

I'm also biased because I am accustomed to years of tough Wildcats Defence, and he is definitely more of an offensive weapon.

Given that he has carved out a very successful career, I can only suggest it's a combination of age & injury slowing him down, along perhaps not being accustomed to the physicality and defensive requirements of this league.

Topic #46099 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the league was full of fit healthy Nates then Hunt wouldn't be a good fit. But is isn't. He's fine. Pretty good actually.

Reply #768792 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

Classic cat chat content

Reply #768799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep
Perth supporters are funny one loss and sack the import. Stop losing your sh!t it's a long season.

Reply #768800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Hunt was supposed to be an athletic centre who could run the floor and protect the rim. )

He is.

(Watching him trying to guard Nate was comical.
Maybe he was once as athletic as hyped and age has caught up with him??)

Watching anyone try and guard Nate is comical he is a legit giant

(He actually seems like a good player, and he'll get even better once he settles in. But he's just hopelessly outmatched in this league.)

This doesn't make sense you contradict yourself

Reply #768801 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

"The addition of Hunt makes an already unstoppable Cotton that much more unguardable."

Five observations from the NBL's first two rounds

Reply #768808 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Give credit to the tipans! They played awesome and didn't matter how good we played they were on fire and played team ball and that's what a team does.

Like every other import, blame the lack of production of the bench and last night showed how valuable Hire was for perth.

Reply #768818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth's bench was weak it's easy to make Steindl the scapegoat but Norton, Majok,Vague and Wagstaff all need to step up.

Reply #768819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^yep plus Cairns played really well. Hope they can keep it up

Reply #768833 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"This doesn't make sense you contradict yourself "

He appears to be a very good player. His defence has been poor, but I'm sure will improve if he can stop getting the cheap foul-shots.

As I said, if we were playing him as a 4, or even a backup 5, great, but I'm questioning whether he can get the job done as a starting Centre.

Reply #768841 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Alarmist bs after first loss at its finest

Jawai had 4 points in 18 minutes and ZERO Offensive boards.

A lot of Cairns 3s had a hand in their face, credit to them knocking them down.

Reply #768854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, takes a Perth thread to bring out all the morons.

"Alarmist bs after first loss at its finest

Jawai had 4 points in 18 minutes and ZERO Offensive boards.

A lot of Cairns 3s had a hand in their face, credit to them knocking them down."

A. I would say Hunt has looked suspect since the first pre-season game. He was crap against United and My Granny could have got a triple-doubel against the Hawks so its got nothing to do with a "first loss"

B. You must be at some new level below brain-dead to compare him to Jawai.
The Starting Import Centre for the Reigning Champs V the local bench guy for the reigning wooden spooners. facepalm!

C. What the Hell has Cairn's 3 point shooting got to do with Hunt? If you think it was his job to defend the 3, then you're even dumber than the Jawai comment suggests.

Hunt is a Crab. We need to have a good laugh if hes the best Trev could come up with.

Reply #768913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's put it another way - which team has a worse starting center?

Adelaide - Johnson - nope
Brisbane - Hodgson - nope
Cairns - Oliver - closer but still nope
Hawks - AJ/Boone - no
United - Long - nope
NZ - Loe - maybe
Phoenix - Benson - Probably

Well done, the richest franchise in the league managed to hire a import centre whose probably better than one other and might be better than NZ local Loe.

Reply #768952 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Been involved in basketball for more than 20 years (and no I'm not 20). Let's walk you through the points you struggle to comprehend.

A) Hunt is adjusting to rules, which is why he struggled against Melbourne. A lot of bigs that have been in this league for years still struggle. Using preseason for any arguments is flawed to the n'th degree. Your Illawarra comment isn't worth addressing. And his defensive issues are prominent when he picks up 2 fouls early and teams start going at him (and rightfully so).

B) Brain dead to respond to OP who mentioned it? Or to the other posts that mentioned it? Nate had minimal impact when Hunts defensive capability against a 130kg+ man was questioned. Just discussing the topic at hand. He may be a starter, but he is the 3rd import choice which I think makes him a solid pickup given he could average a double-double if he can last 20+ minutes a game.

C) I apologise, this one needs some explaining of basic basketball concepts that I presumed to be common knowledge. What happens when a big unit like Jawai dominates low block? Rotations and doubles, freeing up perimeter shooting. The post explains that Cairns efficiency did not come from a liability in post defending. Cairns were just efficient, if Cairns go 7/11 from deep from their starting centre and power forward again then maybe we can discuss his perimeter defense but I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Probably one of the same anons the wrote of White and the wildcats last season.

Gleeson has a bunch of other issues I could bring up way before Hunt makes the list. But I don't know what they would have to do with the topic. Maybe start another thread for that if you want to...

Reply #768961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

913 wtf you on about?
The original poster said Hunt couldn't guard Nate, hence the stats posted above to prove otherwise.

Reading not your strong point champ?

Reply #768966 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Perth was plus 18 fga, plus 14 o boards, had 1 more d board even though cairns shot twice as well. 7 less turnovers. They lost by 23... sometimes its as simple as scoring more than your opponent.

Hunt is fine, he was scared to collect a 3rd and gave up a few to easy points, you could also say he was I the wrong end of some real 50 50 calls too

Reply #769020 | Report this post

Let's see how he goes against Long tomorrow before we all get carried away.

Reply #769022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunt has proven he's very good.

Reply #769185 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Hunt has proven he's very good."

maybe I'm just splitting a very small hair, but I still draw the distinction between Hunt being a very good player, and being a very good fit.

In fairness, part of this discussion has to be about his backup Majok, but as is always the way Locals are what we've got and the focus is on the import filling the gap.

Between the two, we need better than 34 minutes, 13 points, and 7 boards. And we need a much better defensive impact.
When a dinosaur like Pledge can roll out his Zimmer and get 8 points and 7 boards in 10 minutes, then we have a problem.

Reply #769244 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

You're also missing his ability to move the ball, he led the game yesterday with 7 assists, that's an underrated stat, if he's going to get our guys easy buckets the way Bogut does I'm happy with that. Crashes the boards well for an undersized big and 100% getting used to the umpiring like every other big import that has entered the league.

Reply #769301 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't really understand what I am seeing..
He's had games where he got into foul trouble, he's had games where he was crap, and he's had games where he's started brilliantly.
And it's the SAME story. He get's benched and we barely see him again.

Against SEM early he was dominating. Massive Dunk at one end followed by a Huge rejection at the other.
Bang, he's benched, and only comes on in dribs & drabs.

He's averaging less than 19 minutes a game.

WTF?
Is there some medical condition we should know about?

It's not like Jook is filling the gap, between the two we're not even getting 31 minutes, with the gap covered by Kay, Wagstaff, and Vague

What exactly is the plan here?

If Hunt is part of Trev's grand new plan to play small-ball, then just get the fuck on with it and lets see if it works. Don't keep ganking him after 5 minutes.

Reply #771010 | Report this post

PerthD  
Years ago

Relax Daz. Cats are 5-1. Gleesons plan is getting ws

Reply #771021 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Similar minutes to Angus in previous seasons

Reply #771059 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

True, but Gus was a local, which is always a "take what you can get" scenario.
Hunt is an import and we should be getting more.

Reply #771140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunt is here to replace Gus. You don't get exactly the same player, but you get different pros and cons.

Relax dazz

Reply #771147 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754