Anonymous
Years ago

United v Wildcats Oct 20

Anyone know what time United landed back in Melbourne? There has to be genuine concerns of jet lag.

Could be a similar result as the Kings v 36ers game even though United's the home team.

Topic #46111 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to tell which wildcats team will show up, when they play poor can lose to anyone.

Reply #769049 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I guess we'll know in a couple of hours.

United are 0-2 and unless they took the Dreamliner are likely to be a little seedy. Perth were absolutely punched around the ring by Cairns and are likely to be squaring up as two losses in a row is as unusual for Perth as a Wildcats supporter wearing deodorant.

Providing Cotton and White stay out of foul trouble, the game is there for the Cats to lose, especially in the 4th Quarter

Reply #769052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to do with the actual results, but I'm liking the hooley write ups and interviews on the Melbourne site. Get him onto the main commentary team, a nice even balance with a twist of humour.

Re the game, jet lag could be massive, probably only been home for one night. On this I think Perth should bounce back which will leave Melbourne chasing hard the rest of the season. I also think Gleeson is a very good coach but if they get beat it could also show how much Neilson and Forde are missed.
Perth by 18.

Reply #769058 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Can't see jet lag playing a part. They had a game in Sacramento so not overly far from Los Angeles airport. Then a straight flight from la. They might be tired from a tough schedule, but I think they would be over jet lag by now

Perth travelling to Melb after game on Friday would also mean fatigue

Reply #769067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth to bounce back or Dazz to lose his shit.

Reply #769070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I call BS on the jetlag thing.
Was Adelaide Affected?

Reply #769075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Adelaide affected?
Could be used an excuse for losing to Sydney.
Not really a feasible excuse though as Perth were hammered at home by Cairns.

I think it's gonna be a close one Perth by a whisker they bounce back after big losses.

Reply #769077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On yesterday's performance which Adelaide played well and positively I’d say yes jet lag was a problem.

Reply #769078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just think Sydney are better.
Jetlag not a factor at all.

Reply #769079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone saying jet lag not a problem has clearly never tried intense exercise after such long flights.

Everyday people yes we will recover in a day or two and get back to normal sleep patterns. Elite athletes it's a much longer process and a very proven factor in fatigue and lactic acidosis tolerance.

Reply #769084 | Report this post

Perthwor1d  
Years ago

Adelaide just weren't good enough.
Suck it up princess

Reply #769089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if we will get a descent telecast and commentary tonight. Has been crap so far this season.

Reply #769115 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The EU would like to know why we complain about the commentary so much. Maybe they should watch a game.

Reply #769116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wonder if we will get a descent telecast and commentary tonight. Has been crap so far this season."

Dwayne Russell will most likely be commentating, so no.

Reply #769117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two things to look for
1. How many times will forum tosser Perthworld post.
2. Bitching about the commentary.

Reply #769118 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nothing to do with the actual results, but I'm liking the hooley write ups and interviews on the Melbourne site. Get him onto the main commentary team, a nice even balance with a twist of humour.

He's the sideline reporter for this one.

Reply #769119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seen about 40sec of Hooley on the telecast, and tbh I've gotta say he's a natural at it

Reply #769120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These white Wildcats jerseys are pretty ugly and bland.

Reply #769122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Perthworld do you find Hooley easy on the eye?

Reply #769123 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not a fan of the beard.

Reply #769124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You prefer clean-shaven then mate

Reply #769129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wonder if we will get a descent telecast and commentary tonight"
I'm wondering if you will ever provide DECENT spelling.

Reply #769131 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Can anyone miss frokblong range against perth? Lots of these threes contested and all down.

Reply #769132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy to have backed United tonight.

Reply #769133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL going backwards.

Reply #769136 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Steindl worst player in the nbl, also what is with his amish haircut.

Reply #769138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley found his spot, use him more.

Reply #769139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley by all accounts is a pretty funny guy and already he is doing the job extremely well.

Reply #769143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Hooley offering a % of his pay to talk him up? In that case he is so great!!!

Reply #769146 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

What is cotton meant to do? Surely that can't be a foul

Reply #769151 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Especially considering on the next play terrico does not get the call

Reply #769152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thoughts on the clean shaven Norton @Perthworld?

Reply #769153 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Perth to bounce back or Dazz to lose his shit."

Have to pick MU at home

But, great game so far. Perth still looking a little undersized inside, but overall getting the job done.

Question is going to be fatigue down the stretch. Perth in the 2nd game of the round, MU fresh off the plane from their USA games.

Reply #769154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As an NZ baller time has come for Breakers to be allowed to play and not give away 15 points per game to the 3 players in grey

Reply #769156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also noticed Norton shaved the beard.
Thoughts @ Perthworld..

Reply #769157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Acul not looking that great in an important game

Reply #769160 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Not convinced by Melbourne's performance so far. Too much swatting on defence, seem to have trouble scoring inside against Perth, and their offense seems too complicated compared to Perth’s. Melo seems like a backwards step from Casper, and McCarron seems to have pulled back into his shell a bit.

Reply #769161 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

But I do like Hooley on the sideline

Reply #769162 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Same call on majok as hunt, why is it a foul, tje d is straight up??

Reply #769165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot of empty seats. NBL propaganda machine will be active this week. 2nd best league in the world...not!!!

Reply #769168 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Wtf was that foul on Steindl for? Goulding slaps the hand away and gets rewarded. Ffs shit call!!

Reply #769169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#whereisperthworld

Reply #769171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be concerned. Hooley will save it. He has made massive difference to the telecast and commentary. Massive

Reply #769172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Hooley and Gaze with homicide bot saying much even Dwayne is ok.

Reply #769173 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

5 fouls in a min. Just give united the game already.

Reply #769174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, home cooking at its finest.

Soft contact fouls on cats while United are body checking on defense

Reply #769175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesse fouling out probably isn't a bad thing for perth

Reply #769176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Goulding allowed to shove with his armbar on defense. Refs packed up shop on one side of the court

Reply #769178 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This is Stiendl's last season under contract, right?

Reply #769179 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Twice in a row Barlow should have passed to Long right under the basket. Reverted to his form from 2 years ago.

Reply #769180 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Kay just got shirtfronted by long going for a block, but no foul...

Reply #769181 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Regardless of the result here, holy sh*t this has been a cracker of a game.

Reply #769182 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's been Grand Final like.

Reply #769184 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Take that to the BANK!

Reply #769186 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The bank is open on Sundays

Reply #769187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunday afternoon in Melbourne and the bank open. Great game, never underestimate Perth.

Reply #769188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, Melbourne is like la lakers.

Reply #769190 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

United determined to lose ... and did. Some pretty dumb stuff in the face of Perth's tough defence.

Reply #769191 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ouch. Pretty rotten call on Long with the travel, but once again hats off to Perth. Huge shot by Cotton, but the Martin and White shots down the stretch also massive.

Reply #769192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple dumb fouls from Barlow down the stretch.

Reply #769193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8pts up with 2 to play WOW, don't lose those ones. Well done Perth.

Reply #769194 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

100% Cotton, 100% clutch

Reply #769195 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Well that was an escape. United should not have lost that. Having said that some consistency in calls would make the game better

Reply #769196 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cotton banking $600K in Perth and that shot in Melbourne.

Reply #769197 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Is that 3 wins in a row against United won by clutch shots.

Reply #769198 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Melbourne as low as $1.01 in live betting. Ouch.

Reply #769199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Regardless of the result here, holy sh*t this has been a cracker of a game"
Well said Gus. Good to see you here. Been a few years since we last spoke. I backed United and down the stretch they lost it.
However a great game to watch.

Reply #769200 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Oof

Reply #769201 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I have to think fatigue got Melbourne in the end.

If they get Prather back healthy, and they get their shit sorted at the 4, they are going to be scary good.
Clearly the plan is to go back to Barlow, and hope he can somehow find his form from this time last year. Not sold on that idea. Of the options they have, I think JLA is a better season-long prospect. Or at the very least, manage Barlow's minutes better. 28 minutes for a guy who was clearly struggling.

Is it too late for them to get a Next Star PG? Cos Ili is a spud.

I'm still not sold on Hunt. Had a great game, but we still looked undersize inside.

Reply #769207 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

NB: Can somebody please explain to SBS how streaming is supposed to work, and what the term "On Demand" actually means.

Reply #769210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunt +12, Long minus 10. JLA ain't the answer. Melbourne got defensive problems.

Reply #769211 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Jesus, Hunt with 7 assists!

Didn't watch the game. How did he rack them up?

Reply #769212 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

What an exciting finish, couldn't help but think what a difference Prather would mean to United in crunch time, surely they don't play Ili down the stretch, I know he's a good defender but he's hardly got the clutch gene.

As a Wildcats member, it still feels like we are a piece missing from our squad and I don't think our reliance on Wagstaff in second halves is the answer. I'm a massive Steindl fan but he needs to let more go, otherwise he is a liability.

Norton looked really good today and I hope he can stay aggressive throughout the season.

Reply #769219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not forget Perth was playing D with 5 team fouls for the last 8.5 mins of the last quarter, Hunt was in foul trouble all game (dubiously i thought, but new import centre needs the treatment), maybe we should not judge their defensive performance out of context. Although hunt does have a tendency to step aside and ensure he doesn't pick up another foul.

Reply #769223 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

No game replay anywhere yet. This year's broadcasting is a disgrace

Reply #769227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How did he rack them up?"

Generally by passing to a teammate who was in a scoring position, resulting in a made basket.

Reply #769228 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Trev would have to be happy about us playing "Wildcats basketball" to get that win that probably should have been a loss. Love the fight in this team.

Really nothing for United to worry about though considering the circumstances. They're going to be insane once the jetlag is gone and Prather is back.
Cats are lucky to have had 2 of their games vs Melbourne already, and not going 2-0 is an opportunity lost.

Reply #769233 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"As a Wildcats member, it still feels like we are a piece missing from our squad and I don't think our reliance on Wagstaff in second halves is the answer. I'm a massive Steindl fan but he needs to let more go, otherwise he is a liability"

I think we have a great squad, I'm just not convinced the balance is right. Vague continues to show great potential, but I'm not sure playing him at the 5 is the answer.

Steindl is getting worse. He seems stuck in a "Corner-Shooter" mentality. He's actually very effective when he attacks the basket, as he has the height to make his lay-ups (and even pull-ups) easily. But too often, his only instinct is to prop and throw up bricks from outside.
At other times, even when there's a fast break on, he runs straight for the corner. Great if he was shooting like Gaze, but he's so hit & miss, that opponents are prepared to sag right off.

What I do like, is that instead of going to the tip and scabbing amongst the same old recycled players, we've actually backed some youth for our bench fillers. I was excited to see what Wani could provide this season, hopefully some excitement off the bench, but I guess we have to wait for that.

On the squad, I'd be interested to know who our 6th man is for salary purposes. I'd have thought that with their re-signings, Damo and Wagstaff would now be down to bench salaries, making it easy to comply with the bench-cap.

Reply #769241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather has had a knee injury for over one year and now just had an operation. Will he get back is the question and he's on big big bucks. Will United have the balls to cut him if he doesn’t get up in the next few weeks.

Reply #769243 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

6500 in attendance. A bit low for a Sunday game for United, even moreso considering it was against Perth.

Something to worry about, considering the Phoenix entering was always a possibility to take some United fans away, or were there other factors?

Being 0-2 shouldn't be a reason.

Reply #769249 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I don't think United realised they could've gone for two.

Reply #769255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was no time to shoot the two, made no difference. It was three or nothing.

Reply #769256 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Was no time to shoot the two, made no difference. It was three or nothing"

I don't know, that's similar to the way the first game ended. Perth hit the lead with 11 seconds on the clock. And in both cases MU failed to put up a decent shot.
But 11 seconds should be more than enough time, especially considering Perth would do anything to avoid fouling.

Ultimately it was just a bad use of a timeout by Vickerman. Planned one play, and then they didn't seem to know what to do after that.
Whereas Cats knew exactly what they were doing, run the clock down, then make the bucket.

Reply #769257 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Ummm..it was 4.5 seconds after Cotton hit the long 2.

Reply #769258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly ^^^ only shot left was three pointer.

Reply #769278 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The problem continues to be turnovers from Trimble, costing united every game. Don't focus just on the last min.

Reply #769279 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems unlikely that was travel. Long at end of game.

Reply #769280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why was it unlikely? It either was or it wasn't.

Whats the story with the refs over-ruling White's late game three to a two based on one completely inconclusive replay...

Reply #769305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a blatant travel. The commentary are just useless.

Reply #769306 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How was it inconclusive? It was obvious from the replay. I thought it was a two live, as well.

Reply #769319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haz, great point that no one wants to talk about on here. NBL's business case (LK's) was for the league and its teams to stand on its own 2 feet without him tipping in piles of cash by 2020. First 4 years were gilts and glamour, a showcase, nothing spared. LK and team did an awesome job lifting the profile and convincing everyone that it is the second best league in the world (nonsense, but go with it). Now, poor marketing, procurement decisions, terrible TV production and commentary are exposing exactly where it is at. Sustainable? lets wait and see, some worrying signs. Early days, but we have seen this film before and it doesn't end well. Just saying...

Reply #769324 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Anyone who think the Long travel call was incorrect needs to take off their eye patch, commentators included. Easy call and if it was Hunt he would have been called for a travel and offensive foul.

Reply #769337 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:51 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754