Herbert Cadbury
Years ago

Rob Beveridge to Coach Southland Sharks in NZNBL

Announced this morning on the Sharks' Facebook page. Will be interesting to see where he will look to recruit players, especially the imports. Great for the Sharks in my opinion.

Topic #46115 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over the Tall Blacks role from Henare and this is part of that. It will be great for New Zealand basketball if that happens.

Reply #769283 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Bevo is clearly alot better coach than Henare but will the kiwis stomach an Aussie as head coach?

Reply #769287 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

A great pick up for the franchise.

He will e very beneficial for them and you never know what may happen.

Reply #769290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo did some clinics for BBNZ back around 2005. He was liked a lot by coaches and players. His style could fit the Tall Blacks and I think the rivalry with Perth and the Breakers means that he is well-respected.

Other than him, who would be another candidate?

Reply #769292 | Report this post

Herbert Cadbury  
Years ago

I could definitely handle Beveridge as Tall Blacks coach, he always comes across as being very resourceful which would lend itself will given sometimes we struggle with player availability and they like. They were floating a few ideas around on Overtime, Fearne was another one among some local options (Pero, McMains etc.). Beveridge did get a mention too I think.

Reply #769299 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Bevo is clearly alot better coach than Henare"

Henare has been very good at international level, so I won't back that comment up, both are very astute coaches. Interestingly, where Henare took the Tall Blacks this year would slot nicely into the style Beveridge likes to play, would be a great replacement.

Reply #769304 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Bevos style of play goes hand in hand with the stuff NZ bball has been rolling out for years, if he coaches the tall blacks it would be a great fit and would be great to see him with the underdog tag in the international game, Tall Blacks vs Boomers would be a great rivalry to watch.

Reply #769307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It already is.

Reply #769309 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Agree, but I think the Aussies will have their work cut out for them a little more if Bevo was at the helm of NZ.

Reply #769310 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anyone have any insight into why Bevo has been passed over by NBL teams recently as a coaching option? Are his methods just outdated?

Reply #769313 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure Bevo still had a year left on his contract with the Hawks when he quit at the end of last season so probably has to sit out for a season.

Smart move to coach in NZ though the Breakers are unstable and who knows Shamir could quit and go back to Israel at any point and he would be settled in over there and know the lay of the land by that point.

Reply #769317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure Bevo signed for four years after his first year at Hawks so yes he had one more year.I think been told not to play Cody Ellis was the start of a strained relationship with the owner.

Reply #769374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was a really good interview with bevo on one of basketball podcasts mid off season. I'm pretty sure it was aussie hoopla. he talks about his move away from the gong and almost getting the Kings head coaching job. Well worth a listen.

Reply #769494 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think been told not to play Cody Ellis was the start of a strained relationship with the owner.

That was the previous owner Spenceley I think?

Reply #769496 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks guys, I'll have a look for that podcast.

Reply #769558 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754