Anonymous
Years ago

Is Matt Flinn up to it?

When is Flynn going to be start being put under the pump?

Lots of question marks around around the Hawks game plan, tactics and rotations so far.

Watching him reminds me a lot of watching Andrew Gaze on the sideline the last few years. Just feels like he is out of his depth, clueless, lost and not sure what he's doing.

I reckon Hawks are regretting not having Bevo, I think this team would have been really exciting under him.

Topic #46122 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone else see Hawks roll out the shuffle tonight???

Reply #769484 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bevo quit despite being under contract for this season probably don't have the budget so looked down the bench at Flinn & Cooks and Cooks has already had a shot.

Reply #769490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's got pick his best 8-9 players and stop giving time to end bench guys. Dech plays D but never gets on.

Reply #769495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like he’s pushing shit up hill with a stick

Reply #769506 | Report this post

FCF  
Years ago

He's in a tough situation. He has to play Ball his contracted minutes.

But the team isn't going to win with Ball playing those minutes.

It's great for publicity. It's great for ball. But it's not great for wins.

Hawks are just making up the numbers this season.

For as talented and exciting and entertaining as Ball is, it's a shame the hawks will not reach their full potential.

Their team has a decent amount of talent to compete.

Reply #769516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball is a liability offensively outside a layup. Once the hawks can't make the playoffs he’ll leave. Tough spot for Flynn, but having brought brooks off the bench is laughable.

Reply #769520 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Assistant coach at SEM.

He has to play Ball his contracted minutes.
Citation on Ball's contract having a minutes stipulation?

Reply #769522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball can play but imo he's playing safe, not going to get hurt. Unless it’s an open lay up he throws up floaters instead crashing into defenders.

I don’t see any any set plays either except run and gun and selfishness from the team, that’s on the coach. Why sign Anderson, not playing anyway. To many guards, no quality four man.

Reply #769530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they played the shuffle and scored 1st play btw as well as an old Gordie McLeod offense. Not sure if either offenses are showcasing his players best talents but sometimes you have to coach the plays you know best!

Reply #769536 | Report this post

Flynn or Flinn.

Reply #769538 | Report this post

Jenna Morey  
Years ago

cool

Reply #769541 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I actually agree Alphonso, it does feel like Flinn and his lack of experience is detrimental for the league. Simon Mitchell looks a vastly superior coach right now. It truly is a shame that All these eyes are on Illawarra without Geordie or Bevo... but if Ball went to Cairns when Fearne was coach, then we'd be writing about how much of a disgrace/embarrassment it is that Ball has to put up with playing under that defensive system.

It feels like roles for the squad haven't been selected still and whilst that makes the team fresh and interesting as you never know who will play, it's making them look very amateur. If they can stop fouling they'd look better also.

Reply #769545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Ball is a liability offensively outside a layup. Once the hawks can't make the playoffs he'll leave. Tough spot for Flynn, but having brought brooks off the bench is laughable.)

Is that you Lavar

Reply #769548 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees Ball will be gone by Christmas

Reply #769549 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The Hawks roster isn't very good as they are playing an 18 year old 30+mins a game and it shows with the poor team results they are having.

The above said if you listen in the timeouts the extend of his coaching seems to be just play harder and he sounds like he should be in the front bar yelling at the rugby league on tv.

Reply #769557 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The people of Illawarra have well and truly proven they can't support a team. A potential future lottery pick and one of the biggest names in NBL history and they still can't get 5.5K to games. It can't be blamed on their marketing budget as Ball (and to a degree Brooks) sell themselves. Less than 1% of the Illawarra turns up to games. Not a good look going forward.

Reply #769565 | Report this post

Reality 2.0  
Years ago

I have been super impressed with Melo, I think you could fairly accuse him of playing basketball without much care or passion. His talent got him by, but he really his pushing himself to get better. I listened to the WOj with Zo and the distance they have put with Lavar in regards to their development seems to be a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Melo goes number 1 because of this experience. He will come into the NBA with experience of a pro-life, where theres a lot more responsibility on the player to do things for themselves. This is hugely valuable, many rookies struggle with the adjustment to independence. Plus uber-talented, like 6;7 .

Reply #769566 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"... every three point shot Ball has taken has been under pressure..."

That is so laughably untrue.

Reply #769567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(The people of Illawarra have well and truly proven they can't support a team. A potential future lottery pick and one of the biggest names in NBL history and they still can't get 5.5K to games. It can't be blamed on their marketing budget as Ball (and to a degree Brooks) sell themselves. Less than 1% of the Illawarra turns up to games. Not a good look going forward.)

5.5k not bad for a Monday

Reply #769570 | Report this post

Didn't coach tell Brooks that he needed to score 40 for Illawarra to win last night? That's a gameplan!

Reply #769572 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Its almost as if giving undeserved game time to a young player who isn't ready and will be long gone by the time he is ready isn't the best way to build a team the local fanbase can get behind.

Strange.

Reply #769573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Citation on Ball's contract having a minutes stipulation?
You don't think he would have? It's a forum, not a legal case.

The Brooks bench thing is irrelevant as he's started now.

Their crowd was 2,603. They had their struggles when they had stalwarts or half-decent imports. At one point, it seems the front office mangled everything and they haven't been able to sort it out since.

If you aren't in the mix for finals, then getting a drawcard to bring some sponsors and a crowd isn't the worst plan, but 2,603 isn't really fulfilling the crowd part.

Reply #769579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2600 on a Monday night in Wollongong probably not bad result due to a massive family area. When they get a decent weekend time hopefully it will fill up.

Reply #769590 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Ball shouldn't be starting and isn't ready to run a team at this stage of his development.

The hawks are always going to struggle to get W's with the team as its currently being run.

Reply #769610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^The hawks best players are Ball and Brooks. Are you blaming Ball for the loss?
The hawks need 3 imports plus Ball and for the rest of the team to turn up to win including the coach. Why don't they have 3 imports?

Reply #769613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow so much hate on this forum

Reply #769614 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

The crowd at the game was disappointing, but surely plenty of that responsibility falls on the NBL for giving the Hawks another shitty Monday night game? I mean come on.

Reply #769617 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I don't blame Flynn solely for the Hawk's situation, although as the coach he would be the first to fall on his sword.

Ball is maturing, it takes time, I didn't think he would come in and be MVP, he is doing OK, his skillset is much higher than any 18 year old we see in the league.

The team balance is off. They need to get rid of Boone or DA in favour of a PF, probably Boone as import 4's are easier to find. I was hoping Blanchfield could do some of that but it seems no.

Hawks aren't too far off I think.

Reply #769663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball isn't that good. #1 draft pick. No way. Top #10 No way.

Reply #769672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One on the worst rosters but playing a 12man rotation every game that is 40minutes

Reply #769738 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Maybe there's a good reason for 2 Monday night games (venue availability, etc), but it does seem like a shitty way to start the season. More interested to see the numbers they get on weekend games to gauge exactly how good or bad fan engagement is - it'd be a shame if they still don't get bums in seats because the Hawks may not have won a lot of games but they are still one of the most interesting teams to watch with Ball and Brooks - guaranteed a few "holy shit" moments each game.

Reply #769746 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:01 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754