John
Years ago

Time for the All Star Game to Return ?

NBL seems to be doing well in terms of generating interest and a great deal of talent on board this season. While I know it is probably too late to organise now for this season, is it time for the All Star Game to make a comeback ?

We've only seen one NBL all star game in the past 12 years (2012-13), and i think the league is in a considerably better position know than back then, particularly in popularity & talent.

Personally I'd like to see a Aussie Vs World/Import format, and surround the weekend with the traditional 3pt shootout etc, and I think a tonne of other curtain raisers could be added to showcase as well (I think the USA/Aus game had an Indigenous Vs Maori game ?).

I just the game and NBL has a lot to offer at the moment and a weekend like this could really showcase this to the non and casual basketball public.

Topic #46123 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think they should bring it back. Keep focusing on the main product.

Reply #769571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather see every team play each other equally, 32 rounds instead of losing more games for all star weekend.

Reply #769576 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I agree with that ^anon, we need to focus on consolidation here in NBL land and not get carried away...

Reply #769583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps an opening game with all new imports v established locals a week before round 1. Then you could top up players salaries in match payments and let people have a look at the best new imports.

Reply #769585 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I was just now, trying to compose something along similar thoughts to, "Perhaps an opening game with all new imports v established locals a week before round 1."

My thoughts also took into account that taking time out of the season-proper and other issues above.

How about as an extra special during the Blitz or the week after the Blitz at a different venue. That would allow for selection of teams etc.

A curtain raiser could be the Indigenous Vs Maori game or something like a rookies v DPs game or even a pre-season game for the home side and anyone else, followed by a 3 point comp, a dunk comp (let's get a taste of what to expect during the main game). Intermission while the teams get ready. Then the warm-ups and game.

Finally, in favour of the next-week idea, any teams playing pre-seasons in the States (or Philipines) may be able to play those games then rather than during week 1 or 2 of reg season, as now.

That different venue could be either, another market the NBL is looking to develop or a venue where the clubs can tender for the privilege (if they see it as such).

Reply #769600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to see an all star game and it could work well. But it’s not the nba, the NBL all stars game looks more like an average star game unfortunately. I would like to see a NBL select team in the nba summer league.

Reply #769618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Focus on the main product with 32 games.
The NBL needs to work more on scheduling also with a FIBA window planned at completion of the regular season it interferes with playoff momentum.

Reply #769623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be hard to pick a world/import team.
Guards are stacked with Randle, Machado, Brooks,Ball, Trimble, Webster, Cotton, Roberson and Ware .

Reply #769624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A NBL select team for the nba summer league for younger Australians and New Zealander players as well as younger import players with water tight contacts so if the nba does come knocking the NBL or NBL team gets some $$ back.

The blitz needs some fine tuning and maybe a new permanent home with an all star game at the end of the blitz.

blitz to be held over 7 or 8 days in a permanent venue similar to the nba summer league venue.
I'm thinking the Gold Coast would be a great host city for the blitz with its glitzy feel and next to no chance of getting a new NBL team plus end the week off with an all star game, dunk comp, 3 point comp.
And maybe if we are lucky the NBL could invite some nba teams as well.

Reply #769639 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

Its fun to name allstar teams, but I'm not sure an allstar game would be ideal.

The NBL has never agreed on how to split teams either. North vs South, East vs West (impossible) or Australia/NZ vs The World

North vs South could be Cairns Brisbane Sydney & Illawarra vs Perth Adelaide Melb SEMelb & NZ but then when Tassie come in it makes it hard.

Australia/NZ vs The World probably works best I suppose. You get to show off the best talent in the league with the best Australians/Kiwis.

Oliver
Patterson
Hopson
Ware
Tate
Randle
Long
Trimble
Cotton
White
Brooks
Roberson

vs

Bogut
Newley
Creek
Sobey
Gliddon
Kay
Martin
Delany
Abercrombie
Goulding
McCarron
Blanchfield

Thoughts?

Reply #769640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have 2 captains (Homicide and Dwayne Russell) pick sides

Reply #769645 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Wouldn't Webster be there? And, with Bogut as the only C, I'd also include DJ and look for another big as well(?).

Can you imagine dolling minutes out to the US guard line-up? Ware, Randle, Trimble, Cotton, Brooks and Roberson. Or, you could just play 4 out 1 in with Ware in the middle and Oliver, White, Long, Patterson and Hopson on the bench. WTF????!

Be a fun game to watch (and probably to play in, too). Globetrotter home uniforms for the Aussies, Globetrotter away uniforms for the foreigners.

And the score doesn't matter (don't even get recorded), just plays. Maybe turn the scoreboard on every now and then just for the hell of it (like, scores count for next 2 minutes or something), make it a real highlights thriller for the players and fans. Don't think they do that in the NBA. Can't think why!

Reply #769661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Have 2 captains (Homicide and Dwayne Russell) pick sides"

They'd both fight over who gets to pick CG43.

Reply #769662 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The NBL has never agreed on how to split teams either. North vs South, East vs West (impossible) or Australia/NZ vs The World

Perth Wildcats vs. The Rest - since everyone hates us
Player draft say Bogut and another headliner choosing teammates ripping off the recent NBA idea?
Round robin of Australia vs. NZ/Australia vs. World/NZ vs. World in 20min games?

Reply #769666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heavens no. It's not even that big of a deal
In the nba now days, all hype and players are just happy to get a weeks rest.

At nbl level itd be so dull.

Reply #769677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Perth Wildcats vs. The Rest - since everyone hates us)
That sounds a little paranoid Perth

Reply #769783 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754