auhooper98
Years ago

Paywall - Kings Players Pay Cut Article

Can someone let me know what this article says please: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-stars-take-pay-cuts-as-they-strive-for-championship-win-alongside-andrew-bogut/news-story/857b414936c6d369358f8d33178f8fc4

I hate paywalls!

Topic #46134 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Senior Sydney Kings players have taken pay cuts in a bid to play under new coach Will Weaver and win a championship alongside former NBA big man Andrew Bogut before he retires. Skipper Kevin Lisch and fellow veterans Brad Newley and Daniel Kickert have all sacrificed cash

Reply #769715 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Sydney Kings stars (l-r) Brad Newley, Kevin Lisch and Daniel Kickert have all taken pay cuts to remain at the franchise. Lisch had opportunities to join the South East Melbourne Phoenix and the Illawarra Hawks during the off-season but decided to take less and re-commit to the Kings."

Reply #769716 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I hate paywalls!

GOD DAMN MONGOLIANS!

Those are the free snippets I found pasted above. Hopefully someone copies in the entire article for us.

Reply #769718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Kings stars take pay cuts as they strive for championship win alongside Andrew Bogut

Senior Sydney Kings players have taken pay cuts in a bid to play under new coach Will Weaver and win a championship alongside former NBA big man Andrew Bogut before he retires.

Skipper Kevin Lisch and fellow veterans Brad Newley and Daniel Kickert have all sacrificed cash to remain at the Kings.

A significant chunk of Sydney's salary cap is taken up by Bogut and star guard recruit Casper Ware.

But in an attempt to keep the squad together while giving the franchise the ability to sign other players, Lisch, Newley and Kickert have copped hits to their pay packets.

Lisch had opportunities to join the South East Melbourne Phoenix and the Illawarra Hawks during the off-season but decided to take less and re-commit to the Kings.

"I went with the Kings because I love it here in Sydney," Lisch said.

“I also love Will who they’ve brought in as coach and the guys in the team, so I’m just ecstatic to be back.”

Lisch pinpointed Weaver’s appointment as coach as a major factor in his choice to remain in Sydney.

The new Kings mentor is one of best young coaches in world basketball.

Weaver was part of the “Trust the Process” era under Brett Brown at the Philadelphia 76ers as an assistant.

He was also an assistant during the Brooklyn Nets rebuild while he successfully steered the Long Island Nets to the G League finals last season.

Add in six years with the Boomers as an assistant coach and a well-rounded Weaver is ready to conquer the Australian domestic league, according to Lisch.

“Will soaks up information like a sponge,” he said.

“His time with the Boomers, his time in college with Texas and his time in the NBA.

“Every place he goes, he soaks up so much information. He remembers it and he is open and willing to pass it along - it has been great.

“He is young and he sees the game in some pretty special ways, which really helps.

“Will is also extremely calm. He gets fired up when he needs to but he is able to slow the game down in his mind and relay that information onto us, which is a pretty special attribute that he has.

“He has invested a lot of time in myself and the other guys, as far as development programs and helping us to get better.”

Newley has also benefited from Weaver’s presence as coach this season.

The veteran swingman credits his strong form to start the year to Sydney’s greater focus on physical preparation.

“Our new trainer Toby Banfield has done a great job managing us. We just do what we are told now. We don’t have to worry about doing it ourselves.

“We just get told where to go and we go do it.

“It is kind of nice as an elderly player.

“It is a breath of fresh air with Will coming in. I’m feeling confident. I’m 34 but I feel 24.”

Lisch felt rejuvenated like Newley all pre-season until he suffered an ankle fracture against Adelaide in round 2.

He will be sidelined for up to 2 months, with the Kings looking to sign a replacement player.

Lisch is devastated to be injured but happy to see Sydney undefeated after four games to start to the season.

“It is always difficult watching games but when your team is winning and playing well, it is also pretty enjoyable,” he said.

“We got two huge wins against New Zealand over the weekend, which was good.”

The Kings host the Brisbane Bullets on Saturday from 8pm.

Reply #769719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, old players who aren't worth as much as they once were, are getting paid what they're worth.

But this must somehow be special because it involves Sydney and Bogut.

"The veteran swingman credits his strong form to start the year to Sydney's greater focus on physical preparation."

As opposed to what?
WTF were they doing under Gaze? Sitting around drinking beer and scoffing pies?

"Lisch had opportunities to join the South East Melbourne Phoenix and the Illawarra Hawks during the off-season but decided to take less and re-commit to the Kings."

He also had "opportunities" to become a windscreen washer or a dishpig, yet turned those done because Will Wheaton is such a great coach.

Bot sure who their intended audience is?
Tends to paint Bogut in a poor light also, implying that everyone else has to take a pay-cut so they can afford him.

Besides, its all relative. Not sure if this is the first time they have been renegotiated, but when they first signed with Sydney their Salaries were humongous, so taking a pay cut probably only brings them in line with what they'd be offered elsewhere.

Reply #769727 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Bogut needs significant chunk of cash....What utter dribble he's playing for $150K.

Reply #769729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go the kings

Reply #769730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good work by the kings
How much did Bogut make at golden state last season?

Reply #769731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bogut gets the most money even though he has made millions playing in the NBA

Reply #769744 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bogut is being $1 million a year by the Kings and not sure how Kickert could've taken a pay cut when the Kings picked up his team option at the end of last season.

Lisch & Newley taking "pay cuts" is understandable as they were free agents and on their previous contracts they were both on $300k a year to lure them to Sydney. It goes without saying if they wanted to stay they would need to take a reduced salary especially now at their advanced ages.

Reply #769749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't really know why this article is trying to suggest the Kings players did the noble thing when they were taking the piss already.

Reply #769751 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Exactly

Reply #769754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly x 2.
Part Bogut salary is shares so while it's costing the owner shares its not costing him cash.

Reply #769755 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Will Wheaton

ROFL, brilliant.

Reply #769816 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754