Shot clock graphic on NBA on TNT broadcast

The new 24 second shot clock on court graphic near the freethrow line on TNT broadcasts is obtrusive as fvck!!

Topic #46137 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, it looks awful.

Reply #769789 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I like it

Reply #769793 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I don't see the point tbh. Is it really that hard to see it on the scoreboard?

I can see the point maybe to have it somewhere obvious once it gets to 5 seconds, but at all times I agree its just annoying.

Reply #769802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annoying af

Reply #769817 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I just had a look at it on an external site since there's no context (again) in a thread on here.

It's a great move - having to move your eyes down to the score ticker when points haven't changed to view the shot clock takes you too far down. I'm surprised this wasn't implemented earlier.

Reply #769818 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #769819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It says 19 on the floor, and 18 on the scoreboard graphic. Sounds like something the NBL should implement

Reply #769821 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Here's an in sync one:

Reply #769846 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Perthworld, you still have to divert your eyes from the action to see it, and considering that it's a light colour on a light surface AND often will have players getting in the way of it, it seems pretty pointless.

Not to mention there being something not quite right about placing things from the broadcast ON the court. Seems tacky to me, one of those 'hey look how cool this piece of tech we've come up with is' things that hadn't been thought of/used before for good reason.

Reply #769856 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I like it.

Reply #769857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see it being useful, certainly if you’re on the other side of the court, it be confusing.

Reply #769859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that a joke?

Reply #769877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it as well.

Reply #769882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You spend a lot of spare time on the internet Perthworld.
That's sad.

Reply #769888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know its his spare time? He might be posting from work.

Reply #769890 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

I loved it

Reply #769900 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I wonder if this innovation will eventually lead to the end of on-court decals being stuck to the floor.

Reply #769905 | Report this post

too cool  
Years ago

SO I ACTUALLY LIKED IT. YOU GET USED TO FLICKING YOU EYES THERE QUICKLY AND SO IT REALLY DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH WATCHING THE GAME (LIKE HEADS UP IN A CAR - DOESN'T GET IN THE WAY OF YOU DRIVING) AND ARE YOU SERIOUS ANOMALOUS ABOUT BEING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE COURT? IT A TV THING...THEY FILM FROM THE CORRECT SIDE, PEOPLE IN THE STADIUM CAN'T SEE IT.

Reply #769917 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I wonder if this innovation will eventually lead to the end of on-court decals being stuck to the floor.
This tech has been around since the 90s, it's nothing new. The WNBL used it to generate on-court ads a few years back when they were streaming games.

Reply #769926 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Big Ads possibly yes. In European football there are leagues which for a number of seasons already now have virtual ads hovering over the grass behind the goal line - and it doesn't even look fake.

The hot topic at sports broadcasting conferences in recent years is how to implement the whole ticker into the broadcast rather than having a solid box. The TNT shot clock is just the beginning so get used to it. Of course money talks so a lot of the impetus behind this is about increasing revenue by inserting virtual ads and also live betting odds that update constantly with the action on court or field. Interestingly Kayo recently partnered with BetEasy to do this for select matches, although I haven't seen it in action so it may just be outside the video window. It's coming.

Reply #769931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure the A-League does virtual advertising as well mostly behind the goal line and I think I saw it along the sideline at the SCG, much more obvious in the NRL though as they do it on the playing surface and it's constantly disappearing and reappearing when they zoom in on a tackle.

Reply #769948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate it. It takes away from the game. The NBA has become very fast game, and we don't need anything on the court that distract you from seeing the ball move from side to side. It's a horrible feature. Why not bring back the glowing 3 point line. TNT please knock it off!!!

Reply #781209 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754