AngusH
Years ago

Wildcats v Phoenix Oct 25

I lack Jack Toft's flair for these things, but this is maybe the most interesting game of the season so far IMO. Phoenix look legit but this is their toughest challenge yet. We have perhaps the two best shooters in the league in Cotton/Roberson going head to head (maybe not enough credit to White who should be in that conversation also), who matches up on Creek, is Pineau going to be able to maintain his form against Kay and co? Lots to get excited about in this one.

Topic #46155 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with that job, Angus. I'm looking forward to this one as well. Last game at Perth Arena Cairns made minced meat of the cats defence. Perth look beatable and there aren't too many better ways to prove you are legit than a win there so I reckon they'll be primed to the max for this one.

Reply #770071 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thanks for starting the thread!

Perth host new boys on the block after getting a double dacking by Cairns last week. Can they strike back? The Phoenix are hot at the moment, but a trip to the west will test them. Are they up to it, or will they end up Mitch Creek without a paddle?

Creek has had a golden start to the season with his name featuring in the leaderboards. #1 for scoring (25.3 ppg) #3 in assists, #4 in rebounds, #3 in steals but down the list in blocks. Then again if you're relying on the boy from Horsham for blocking then your team balance is out.

The Wildcats don't like losing two in a row and should come back strongly. Trevor G would be a bear with a sore head if that happened.

And I think it will..... Wildcats are going to find it hard to knock off a team that has the momentum and would have written down as one of their season goals "Beat the Wildcats in Perth". That would be in red texta in their locker room and come their return to the locker room, the ceremonial green texta will be passed to Mitch Creek so he can put a tick in that box.

Phoenix to out run and out gun Perth by about 8

Reply #770073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes should be a cracking game, Perth should not lose this one. Is Pineau going as good as commentators are talking him up or is it the old mates act, Kay will let us no tonight. Creek vWhite could be interesting as well, lots good match ups including the coaches. Perth by 14.

Reply #770074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the ceremonial green texta will be passed to Mitch Creek so he can put a tick in that box"

Not sure he knows how to spell that.

Reply #770077 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

ROFL

Look, anything can and will happen in the NBL, just look at last weeks result against Cairns. But you can only predict based on the norms, and that says SEM are no match for Perth especially at home.

Perth's defence has started to gel, and if that trend continues then SEM will find it hard going.

Hunt & Majok have struggled against genuine size, but unless Benson suddenly sparks a massive form reversal, SEM have nobody to challenge Perth. Pineau will either foul-out early or spend most of time on the bench.

Creek has come back from his American sojourn, and Boomers campaign, in red hot form, but this is SEM's first double. So they'll have to decide whether they want to sacrifice a probable win at home against Adelaide by flogging Creek?

The match=ups will be interesting, as will be SEM's starting line-up...
IMHO they need to start Benson, with Pinenuts at the and Creek at the 3. That will not only give them the best chance of containing Kay & Hunt, but also allow Creek his best opportunity. If they go with Stephens instead, then they're going to struggle.

It's also a test for Mitchell, up against the best coach in the league, and I don't think he's up to the challenge.

I'm looking for big things from Hunt tonight. SEM have nobody currently capable of matching up on him, so if he can stay out of silly foul trouble, he should be able to go to town.

Reply #770108 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I actually want SEM to win by 30 after reading that.

Reply #770112 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Well SEM have their Grown Man replacement import playing tonight?

Reply #770118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree on the SEM bigs being a weakness. Could be a break out game for Hunt if he manages to stay out if foul trouble.

Reply #770120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I actually want SEM to win by 30 after reading that."

I feel you

Reply #770121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobes weird obsession with Dazz gets creepier every year

Reply #770126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at Santamaria, calls Derpwayne Huddo and predicts Nick Kay will guard Hunt to start the game

Reply #770168 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Phoenix dominating on the offensive glass but can't buy a shot.

Reply #770169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon we could see 100 points tonight
If you add both teams totals

Reply #770170 | Report this post

loving the pink!!!

Reply #770172 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What would you call this shade of pink? It has a certain tinge to it.

Reply #770176 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bubblegum pink?

Reply #770177 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Too many quick 3s from the Phoenix.

Reply #770178 | Report this post

perhaps persian pink?

Reply #770180 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Magenta

Reply #770181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 in the pink, the other 5 stink

Reply #770182 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

When the shots aren't dropping the Phoenix look very one dimensional. 13 points isn't a huge obstacle with all the shooters they have though, but I'd like to see them go to Creek down low a lot more and mix things up a bit.

Reply #770183 | Report this post

Angus your on the money with shooting prowess of the Phoenix, but this lead is uncatchable as when Perf pop they can't be stopped..

Reply #770186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix found out on their first raod trip. Is anyone really surprised? Serioulsy?

Reply #770190 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I wouldn't say they've been found out just yet. Still hanging around. They definitely look small against this Wildcats team though.

Reply #770197 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It took a while but finally the Phoenix are getting a grown man welcome to the league.

Reply #770198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEM still in very good shape judging by Mitchell's calmness

Reply #770200 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Abysmal couple of minutes from SEM to finish that half. Yikes.

Reply #770202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEM realising what it's like to play against a side that plays defence. SEM defensively not looking that flash either, nerves could have a bit to do with it.

Reply #770203 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Can we start a petition to ban crowd shots during Wildcats home games?

Reply #770206 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Try living here.

Reply #770208 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Streaming gone bad

Reply #770211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't need the replay to see that Damo managed a block and a flop at the same time yet still got the call in his favour somehow #homecooking

Reply #770213 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How many times are SEM going to foul a three point shooter. Ridiculous.

Reply #770218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adnam with a massive carry #awaycooking

Reply #770219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many times is the Perth DJ going to play Rick Astley? #rickrolling

Reply #770220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stevens and Pineau found out tonight.

Reply #770221 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Pheonix need to make the call, and get rid of benson. Tonight has to be the wake up call doesnt it.

Reply #770223 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

SBS on demand showed everything bar the press conferences booooo

Reply #770237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This sign language story has me thinking. Imagine if coaches were only allowed to communicate with refs during play if they use sign language.

Reply #770238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I actually want PERTH to win by 30 after reading that."

fixed that for you Kobe

Reply #770241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Dazz +1 Kobe -30

Reply #770243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL missed a massive marketing opportunity with SE Melbourne. With Adnam, Madgen and Creek on the same team they should have been called the Flogs rather than the Phoenix. What a bunch of dickheads!

Reply #770251 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

The Phoenix press conference was brilliant. Mitchell gave really great, detailed answers and didn't hide. After a massive loss, that’s a real credit to him.

Reply #770252 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Very casual blasé press conference by Phoenix. They need to address how bad they were and not make light of it .

Reply #770253 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Wildcats too strong and too deep.

As I said before the game, that starting lineup was never going to work for them, and won't against the better teams.

Pinenuts may, or may not, be having a breakout season, but he's just not that good. Certainly not starting quality, and nowhere near good enough to carry the inside burden.
They LOOKED marginally better with Benson out there, at least he adds size, but not much else. SEM need to either replace him with somebody more mobile, or figure out a way to use him more effectively.

Hunt was good early, but then got ganked and again played limited minutes.

I was hoping for Gibson to get fouled and then miss both, because if ever a player deserved the nickname "Cheeseburger" its him. Hard to think of anyone else that has been so consistently overrated, year after year.

Reply #770255 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth's defence has started to gel, and if that trend continues then SEM will find it hard going.
Based on the looks SEM was getting, they should've been in front by 8-10 early in the first. Perth did nothing to them defensively early, they just couldn't throw it in the ocean.

Pineau will either foul-out early or spend most of time on the bench.
Pineau played over 20 minutes and committed one foul.

Hunt & Majok have struggled against genuine size, but unless Benson suddenly sparks a massive form reversal, SEM have nobody to challenge Perth.
Hunt & Majok played more or less as they have all season.

The match=ups will be interesting, as will be SEM's starting line-up...
IMHO they need to start Benson, with Pinenuts at the and Creek at the 3. That will not only give them the best chance of containing Kay & Hunt, but also allow Creek his best opportunity. If they go with Stephens instead, then they're going to struggle.
SEM dominated the first five minutes of the game, they just weren't able to put it on the scoreboard.

The Phoenix shot 26% from three. I highly doubt that happens again all season. Perth shot 45%. Same applies.

Now yes, some of that is due to the defence each team was playing, but SEM wouldn't have had the chance to lose White on the weakside in D trans if they were able to score the ball, and their early looks were excellent. Once they were in a hole it started affecting the way they were playing and Perth were able to turn the screws, but play that opening first five minutes over again and nine times out of ten I'd say Phoenix have a decent lead, which would've changed the game completely.

Reply #770259 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

As I said before the game, that starting lineup was never going to work for them, and won't against the better teams.
Explain, then, why the opening five minutes was the best they looked all night?

Reply #770262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And I think it will..... Wildcats are going to find it hard to knock off a team that has the momentum and would have written down as one of their season goals "Beat the Wildcats in Perth". That would be in red texta in their locker room and come their return to the locker room, the ceremonial green texta will be passed to Mitch Creek so he can put a tick in that box."

Uh huh.

Reply #770276 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They obviously ran out of green textas

Reply #770277 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Pheonix need to make the call, and get rid of benson. Tonight has to be the wake up call doesnt it."

It's going to be interesting how they approach it with Wesley back. I imagine Tai is going to play quite a bit at centre with Creek at power forward. If that's the case, do they back in Pineau and Benson to carry the other 20-odd minutes at C?

Or do they keep Crockett instead of Benson and play even more small ball? He looked good last night and fits the way they play. It could be a little risky in case Pineau gets injured, but it would certainly give them a dynamic and versatile squad.

Reply #770281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent press conference by both Mitchell and Creek. Very honest and matter of fact. Creek gets a lot trash talk but after watching that press conference he's a lot smarter than people think around here. Mitchell calling a spade a spade as well. Phoenix are in good hands.

Reply #770302 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Pinenuts" lol classic

Reply #770311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dan Pinot Noir hahahahahaha

Reply #770315 | Report this post

Joe Right  
Years ago

Think before you post people.
Koberulz is always right and will bend you over and cut and paste you a new one.

Reply #770318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Putting aside readability and style, D2.0 made more than one correct prediction about the game while koberulz made zero correct predictions. D2.0 gets the W.

Reply #770326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kobes weird obsession with Dazz gets creepier every year"

reaching Stalker levels

Reply #770334 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Well yeah.

Anyway, they obviously need to get Wesley back, but I still don't see why they wouldn't try to upgrade Benson to somebody starter quality.
Creek has obviously worked hard in recent years to improve his outside shooting, so IMHO its waste playing him as an undersize 4.
I get that this seems to be a few teams this season, but in most cases those teams still genuinely big guys in the 5 spot. Wesley's a tough operator, and can certainly hold his own, but a combo of he and Creek is still going to struggle against most frontcourts.

Reply #770340 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Creek has obviously worked hard in recent years to improve his outside shooting, so IMHO its waste playing him as an undersize 4."

I think that's his best position in the NBL. He was sensational in that spot for Adelaide and with the exception of last night has been brilliant in that spot for SEM. He has the strength to defend bigger PFs, but they can't defend his speed.

Reply #770355 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I think that's his best position in the NBL. He was sensational in that spot for Adelaide and with the exception of last night has been brilliant in that spot for SEM. He has the strength to defend bigger PFs, but they can't defend his speed."

You could be right, most teams now running wings in the SF position, and many seem to be trending towards smaller guys at PF.

This probably reflect my personal bias, but for me the best NBL PFs are still guys like Kay, Wesley, etc, even Barlow.

Last night should be a wake up a call to SEM and all their bandwagoners.

They got an injury ravaged and massively disorganised MU first up, and have otherwise had an easy intro until last night. It was apparent across the board, but that includes Creek. He and Peanut struggled against Kay and even Wagstaff.

Like any team, it will come down to manpower. We assume they'll get Wesley back, but after that who knows. Perhaps they ditch Benson and keep Crockett??
A starting lineup of Roberson, Magden, Crockett, Creek, and Wesley would work against most teams.

Reply #770366 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754