Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v Cats Oct 27

To say the Hawks have a woeful record against the Cats is an understatement. I'm not sure what the current split is, but on the road in Perth they have lost the last something-teen in a row....

At 1 and 5 they are on the bottom of the table and only the most optimistic supporter would have them pegged to go any higher this season. They have some talent on the team, but it's hard for a rookie coach to win games in such a competitive league. No one gives any quarter. Trevor G could lend a sympathetic ear to the Hawks and take it easy on them, but I'm thinking Cat's fan would be out for the kill. Where's a Boy Scout when you need him to walk an old lady across the road?

Cairns jumped the Cats a couple of games ago, but that's unlikely to happen today. Nick Kay knows the court and should take control that end. But this will be the Bryce Cotton show and I think the Cats will be in like Flynn.

Topic #46178 | Report this topic

Cats for life  
Years ago

Perth will probably find a way to lose this one, need this one got 5 away game's on the road starting with this one.

No Boone, see what Hunt can bring up against the hawk's.

Reply #770494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone out could it be a permanent out?

Reply #770495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game over half way through second. Perth to coast by 25 and bench to get good time. Pozagluu to show hawks what a good club can do with players.

Reply #770501 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Whats the best way to watch this? Is it going to be on facebook? or I am stuck with SBS?

Reply #770514 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Twitch nbl channel is pretty decent aswell

Reply #770519 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I suppose you call it a stream rather than a channel... im not great with explaining these things... dont hold it against me.

Reply #770521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth should coast to win.

Reply #770522 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Whats the best way to watch this? Is it going to be on facebook? or I am stuck with SBS?

What you're really asking is, how come Alfonso Ball hasn't created a Twitch channel yet so we can all watch it that way? I don't know the answer.

Reply #770542 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"What you're really asking is, how come Alfonso Ball hasn't created a Twitch channel yet so we can all watch it that way? I don't know the answer."

That would be truly unhinged commentary, and make us all grateful for Dwayne Russell.

Reply #770546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats up 11+

Reply #770547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats by 11+ *

Reply #770548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This camera angle is horrible.

Reply #770549 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cats are asleep defensively.

Happens sometimes early in games. Either they will start to slowly grind em down, or Hawks are going to run away with this.

Reply #770555 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nice finish, Mitch :)

Reply #770556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Show a replay of Nortons shot ffs. They're so shit with replays. They either don't show what everyone wants to see, or they show an unnecessary replay that no one wants to see, or they show a replay of something way after it happened.

Reply #770557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the 2nd unit have now played more minutes than the starters for the Wildcats

Reply #770558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok has been a great pick up

Reply #770559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the point in getting an import big in hunt and just leaving him on the bench

Reply #770561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking like a great crowd.

Reply #770562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Cotton!

Reply #770563 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Why is Boone not playing?

Reply #770564 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What's the point in getting an import big in hunt and just leaving him on the bench

You're looking at it the wrong way IMO. In game 2 of the round, when your backup guy is out there holding his own then roll with it while you can, especially in the first half. Majok did well, and I like the distribution of minutes for the half.

Reply #770566 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Why is Boone not playing?

Following shootaround today, the club has made the decision to rest Josh Boone in tonight's clash against the Perth Wildcats. Josh’s status will be day-to-day following a premature return from a broken nose last week.

Reply #770567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All good coaches preach about defence, Coenrad at the half talks about defence but commentators only talk about scorers. The nba commentators talk about good offence and good defence. Hawks actually played some defence, it makes a lot difference, hopefully it stays.

Reply #770568 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Luuuc re Hunt on bench

Interesting take. I think Perth could afford to do this against some teams, but not all.

This strategy of resting players could become the norm, with different teams resting different players depending upon their depth. Perth are thin at 4/5, so it makes sense for a deep playoff run

Reply #770572 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Better effort that quarter. Looks like being a good game.
Hopefully the Cats don't run out of legs.

Not sure what the deal is with Hunt, he seems to be consistently kept to around the 20 minute mark, and they seem to keep Vague in reserve for the 2nd half.

Reply #770573 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Think Homocide is being a bit disrespectful in the way he is talking to an Australian basketball legend.

Reply #770578 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Dazz

Planned rotations. Doesn't show much confidence in Hunt, but he does seem to be a budget import. Cotton n White wouldn’t be cheap.

Reply #770580 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Think Homocide is being a bit disrespectful in the way he is talking to an Australian basketball legend.“

When has Homicide ever shown respect to anything outside of his world view?

Reply #770581 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Tremendous insight from Heal on the sidelines there. That's why it's worth having people in the stadium not just at the hub.

Reply #770583 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Team brain fade by Illawarra.

Reply #770584 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Stiendl can't even shoot from close range.

Reply #770585 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The plays off that unsportsmanlike may have just saved the Cats.

Reply #770586 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Attendance 3,223

Reply #770587 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Game descending into junk ball.

Makes Rookie Froling look polished.

Only chance I'll have.

Reply #770589 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Homicide just labelled Stiendl as reliable.

Time to go back to the clean feed.

Reply #770590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a huge blow if brooks is done for the year

Reply #770591 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

A knee in the back while going over the top, jump ball...

Reply #770595 | Report this post

serballin  
Years ago

Same travel not being called both ways. Dech getting called for the slightest hand check. Reffing in NBL bad as ever. Hawks hard done by here

Reply #770598 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

WTF is a shabam...

Reply #770599 | Report this post

serballin  
Years ago

I take it back, completely phantom call on Martin favours the hawks. Seriously, I think NBL reffing might be the worst in the world

Reply #770600 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

TERRICOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Reply #770601 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Man that was ice cold

Reply #770602 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

serballin yep - an 18yr old rookie getting bailed out calls. NBL - no better than ever!

Reply #770603 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

bail out*

Reply #770604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield scoreless

Reply #770605 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LaMelo shoots a three in the clutch.

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply #770606 | Report this post

serballin  
Years ago

Blanchfield has been horrible this season. This is the exact time of game he has got to step up for the hawks and what does he do? Lays an egg

Reply #770607 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Man that was ice cold

So was LaMelo's three attempt.

Reply #770608 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Blanchfield played today? In this game?

Reply #770609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prop to Illawarra, much better performance and hopefully the coaches understand you can't play all players equal time or all of them sometimes.

Reply #770610 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Thanks for cementing the win for us, LaMelo. #bigballer

Reply #770611 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Good effort from the Hawks to contain the Cats. May have been closer if not for the injury to Brooks.
If his achilles is done, they need to find a High-scoring combo/SG to partner Lamelo. Replace Boone with a decent PF, and they could be back in this.

Reply #770615 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Prop to Illawarra, much better performance and hopefully the coaches understand you can't play all players equal time or all of them sometimes.

Agreed. Those Kay threes plus that White one were absolute daggers. But overall the Hawks made that way harder than it should have been for the Cats considering they were without Boone and then they lost Brooks as well. (and also considering Blanchfield may as well not have bothered rocking up to the stadium)
Plenty to like for the Hawks I thought. Mentally they played it well. Physically some good looks just didn't drop, and some big ones for the Cats did, and some days shit happens like that.

Hope the injury news is as good as possible for Boone & Brooks.

Reply #770619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawara could possibly bring in 3 new imports.

Reply #770620 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Commentators still going on about lamello, is it contracted that they pump this kid up atleast once every 2 minutes, it's seriously overkill.

Terrible shot selection in the clutch by lamello. Both sides got a little scrappy by the end there.

Reply #770621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a shit thread.
Mostly ramble from Perthworld it's hard to find decent comments amongst his garbage.

Well done to the 9 time champ Wildcats for getting the W.

Reply #770623 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Illawarra could not possibly afford 3 new imports.

Unless a fringe NBA player/s play/s for "exposure"

Reply #770624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball is very good, makes mistakes at times but he's got it. I’ve said previously time to get rid Brooks and Boone, now injuries might make it possible. Get a two guard that can score and play D and a rebounding four man that can defend and hawks would be great.

Reply #770626 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"WTF is a shabam...“

English translation is “shebang", as in “the whole shebang” or the whole thing.

Reply #770627 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Who is the tallish "tanned" guy in civies for the Hawks?
(Reminds me a bit of Simmons with the haircut)

Reply #770629 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

UTA thanks. It's still shit though.

Reply #770631 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Who is the tallish "tanned" guy in civies for the Hawks?

Hyrum Harris development player for the Hawks from NZ.

Reply #770632 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Nah. Was it maybe Boone with a new haircut?

Reply #770633 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't know you're telling the story the only 'tanned' guy (assuming tanned does mean tanned and not black) I saw standing around during timeouts was Harris.

Reply #770640 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

A pretty unimpressive performance from Perth overall, but they knocked them down when it counted. That game was really the Hawks' for the taking though, some great looks outside that didn't drop, and a ton of blown opportunities on transition and inside the paint.

Reply #770642 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I am really disappointed with Matt Campbell's assertion that Illawarrais a club for developing young talent then they go to other clubs (his words).

This means top down this organisation has no endeavour for nor objective to win, might as well call them Cairns Taipans 2.

Lost a lot of respect for Matt and the Hawks today.

Reply #770650 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

How the hell could you say you've lost respect for Matty Campbell when he's doing the only thing they can do to keep the club afloat.

If you haven't noticed by now Illawarra & Cairns can't afford to keep up with the big spending clubs so they've only got two choices when constructing a roster cheap young guys who are exciting but will leave for more money asap or older veterans that have fallen through the cracks looking to keep their careers alive ala Cairns last season.

The Cairns model from last season isn't great as we saw so developing youth is probably the better option who knows one of those young guys might be loyal and stay on once they've developed as Mitch Creek did with the 36ers.

Reply #770651 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Depends on what precisely he meant, and how you look at it.

If you want to get first pick of next stars, young imports, and young Aussies, then promoting the club as developing youth is a smart move.
Te argument being "why go to team where you'll be a DP, or at best end of the bench 3 minute player, when you can come here and play real minutes and maybe even start.

BUT, you have to make it worth. Signing players nobody else wants doesn't make you a development destination, it just makes you crap.

Reply #770652 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I took what he said as being advertisement aimed at other young Australians and American "next stars" who I'm sure are watching these Ball/Hampton games.

Reply #770655 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

How the hell could you say you've lost respect for Matty Campbell when he's doing the only thing they can do to keep the club afloat.

If you haven't noticed by now Illawarra & Cairns can't afford to keep up with the big spending clubs

I don't expect Matt to construct a team that will be automatic top 3, but he didn't even say he's trying to win or even make the playoffs. He's happy to be a feeder club which is not what the Hawks should be.

How does his team feel when hearing this? The CEO has no objective to win, why should I? I'll just get my stats and screw the rest.

Reply #770656 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Of course it was an advertisement how could someone be as asinine to say they no longer have respect for them, I mean they just landed Sam Froling on a 3 year deal for precisely that very reason.

Reply #770658 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't expect Matt to construct a team that will be automatic top 3, but he didn't even say he's trying to win or even make the playoffs.

Because he doesn't need to it's a given they would like to win but they can't afford it so he's putting it out there to all the young up and comers "come here and you will see plenty of minutes and then you can cash in on your next contract once you're proven".

He's happy to be a feeder club which is not what the Hawks should be.

How do you know how he feels? They're a business he's got to put the best spin on the situation they can, are you seriously that daft?

How does his team feel when hearing this? The CEO has no objective to win, why should I? I'll just get my stats and screw the rest.

I think you will find most if not all the players on that roster know exactly that. They are there to start their careers or finish their careers, they're at the extreme ends of each option and clearly the Hawks got the balance wrong.

The CEO has no objective to win? FMD not everything in life is black or white, they're trying to survive first which should be the main objective of any team worry about winning games second.

Reply #770660 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I took what he said as being advertisement aimed at other young Australians and American "next stars" who I'm sure are watching these Ball/Hampton games."

Correct, Ball's experience with the Hawks has got to be a great advertisement for the program.

Reply #770668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, what was the attendance?

Reply #770679 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/46178-hawks-v-cats-oct-27/#p770587

Reply #770680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About 3000 anon. Not sure of stadium capacity.

Reply #770688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Important for people to understand. The Hawks are literally run on the smell of an oily rag. Their offices are in demountables outside the old Snakepit. There's like five people running the whole operation and Stratford is seriously under resourced as an owner, to the point where the NBL has been propping them up the last couple of years. It’s well known the Hawks still are in debt to the league. Flinn is the head coach for a couple of reasons but one would be he was the cheapest option available. So I can understand Mat Campbell saying what he did, even if you could read the comments as waving the white flag as far as being competitive is concerned.

Reply #770713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Literally huh?

Reply #770716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Capacity is 4000

Reply #770721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looked fullish, hopefully after that performance they can get a sell out.

Reply #770727 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Capacity is 5,500.

Reply #770741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Capacity about 5000 if I recall.

Reply #770745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its 5673.

Reply #770747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ you are correct. My bad.

Reply #770748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:31 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754