Hangin Round
Years ago

Yellow Cards

During the 2004 Junior State Champs, BASA trialled a system which was to lead to zero tolerance in regard to abuse of refs.
If a player/coach/spectator was found to be out of line, the ref could show a yellow card which signified as a warning that any more comments would lead to a Tech foul. This idea had some merit as it put 'all' on notice. Sometimes a spectator can be away from the bench and the comments to a ref are not heard there, but the card gives a warning to the whole team.
What happened to this? Too hard or not enough interest?
Does anybody know?

Topic #4618 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

it is still in practice

stadiums should still have them

it depends on the head ref putting them out - which seems to go lacking sometimes

Reply #53541 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

I thought that got ride of that system after some ref's at pas used them a little to much.

Reply #53552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The card system has only ever been for spectators. After the yellow card spectators are given a red card and asked to leave.

Player/coaches are delt with as usual through technical fouls.

Reply #53571 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

yeh i know that, it was the spectators who felt the force of the yellow cards at pas. The record is 7 in one game.

Reply #53576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leigh Newbury or Alex Jordan must have been umpiring that game!!!

Reply #53616 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

No it was both of the twins

Reply #53620 | Report this post

Jnr  
Years ago

lol, Leigh and Alex don't warn, they just throw u out. That what you get when u don't understand the game.

I understand that some parents take the game to seriously, but the reason that the yellow card has been brought in is because the referee's are not taught how to deal with coaches on a personal level. They are taught to tech first or yellow card.

There are some parents that take it to far and its the way that BASA is dealing with it. But there are better ways. Better education of referee's.

Reply #53659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yellow/Red cards are long gone. The new season will see another new anti abuse policy enforced which covers all spectators, players and coaches.

Simply put keep your mouth shut and you won't have a problem.

Reply #53662 | Report this post

Jnr  
Years ago

ah very true my dear anon. What is the policy that is coming in oh knowledgable one.

Reply #53668 | Report this post

Leigh  
Years ago

In my defence I have only handed out a yellow card when the abuse of a parent has, in my eyes, gone too far. I have never handed out a red card and I didn't really think the system was that effective in dealing with spectator abuse anyway.
The newer system is the code of conduct. It was actually posted on this forum a fair while ago. All stadiums have it and most referees know how to use it.
On another note I would like to say to anonymous #53616 thankyou for spelling my name right, not even Sturt managed that. :)

Reply #53695 | Report this post

Alex J  
Years ago

No system works the way it is supposed to when idiot parents go to far. For example a parent at Mvale was asked to keep quiet after he abused a fellow official. This parent then continued to abuse said official and recieved a Yellow card. After which an attempt was made to restart the game. How ever this was not possible as the parent continued to abuse both oofficials and recieved a red card after which his was asked to leave. Not happy with just being ejected he then decided it was a good idea to continue to abuse the official and not leave. As such he was then put on report. Not content with that he continued to abuse the officials whilst the report was being filled out. Now what did BASA do about it? They wrote a stern letter of warning to the club. BIG DEAL! Guess who got thrown out of the stadium the following week but a different umpire?

Reply #53714 | Report this post

Alex J  
Years ago

SO I ask you If I have ever thrown you out and you were to see a video tape of your antics. I wonder just how stupid you would look?

Reply #53717 | Report this post

Jnr  
Years ago

Leigh, I few weeks ago u umpired a U16 G D1 Norwood game. You had problems with the Norwood Parents and you teched the Norwood coach. No yellow or red cards were given.

Now the reason the yellow card system is not effective is because umpires don't use the system there to protect them. We already have to many old umpires that umpire the games 1970 style
(Port Adelaide umpires example ).

I agree there are some parents that are living their sporting career through their kids, but umpiring the game the way the rule book or codes of conduct have instructed are why we have the rules book / code of conduct.

If at the end of the day the umpires have not done that then who is to blame.

Reply #53723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bpoor kids. How embarrasing

Reply #53784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the code of conduct about. Dont remeber reading it but it sounds like a good idea

Reply #53790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be difficult for the umps

Reply #53799 | Report this post

Leigh  
Years ago

Jnr,
I haven't umpired a game of basketball since two weeks before finals due to personal reasons.
Red card/Yellow card system hasn't been in use for a while. If I really did this game then me issuing a technical to a coach isn't really the point as coaches are not covered by the red card yellow card system anyway, which as I have already mentioned, isn't being used anymore.
Pardon my grammar.

Reply #54431 | Report this post

jnr  
Years ago

if u read it correctly it was the parents who were cracking up and you teched the coach because of it. Don't Tech the coach, speak to the UIC and let him deal with it. If he doesn't deal with it (which I know Mike will) then throw the parent out, But go through the proper people. Don't make the rules up as u go along. (Which u do so well)

Reply #54458 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I know when I was reffing school social on Saturday mornings, the ruling was if a parent was giving the refs grief, first warn the coach to control said parent, also do it loudly enough that the parent hears if they continue, they will cost their childs team a tech foul on the coach.

If the parent continues, tech the coach. The rule book actually used to state (havent seen one in a couple of years) that the coach is responsible for the actions of all players, team officials (assistant coaches, doctors etc) and followers.

Reply #54463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was the old ruling yogee. Things have changed. They bought in the yellow and red card system for spectators. This was then taken out and now the "code of conduct" rule is in place. Not exactly sure how this works or what it is. Could someone post a link to the new ruling.

Plain fact for the old ruling where the coach is responsible is a bit iffy. Basically how can you be sure that the particular spectator is part of that team or club? Because they're sitting the same side as the team? Because they're cheering for the team? Basically anyone could go to a game cheer for any team, abuse the refs and get a tech foul for the coach without having any part to do with the club/team.

I would just like to know how the new ruling works. I thought the yellow and red cards were quite good and would like to know how the 'code of conduct' aims to stop abuse.

Reply #54465 | Report this post

Alex & Leigh  
Years ago

If you go to the post "BASA Anti-Harassment and Abuse Policy" you will be able to download a copy of the policy which clearly states that "coaches are to adhere to and assist a referee's request to address the conduct of his\her players and spectators. For any breach of the coaches code of conduct the referees should follow the outlined procedure in order for administering the penalty.
1. warn the coach of his/her breach of the code
2. advise the other referee of the warning
3. upon a second offence the penalty shall be invoked.

The penalty being a Technical foul to be issued to the offending coach.

Reply #54530 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed at author's request.)

Reply #54532 | Report this post

concerned parent.  
Years ago

(Mod: Zzz)

Reply #54538 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed at author's request.)

Reply #54550 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

(Mod: as above.)

Reply #54551 | Report this post

concerned parent  
Years ago

Reply #54557 | Report this post

Brix  
Years ago

Reply #54561 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

I would just like to say that to my memory, the "twins" have never given out 7 yellow cards in a game. This is on a Friday night!

I can only count on one hand the amount of times I have rostered both the "twins" on the same game!

Reply #54576 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Loads of posts deleted. Keep it on topic or keep it off the forum please.

Reply #54641 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

FIRE UP LEIGH

Reply #54677 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:38 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754