Rae
Years ago

Nate jawai - still good or has been ?

So I'm not well versed in basketball and although I understand the game enough to enjoy watching. I don’t have the in depth knowledge to really form an accurate opinion. So I have a question regarding Nate jawai. I watch him and honestly don’t see this hyped up great player that everyone raves about. He seems lazy, unfit, misses more shots then he gets. Doesn’t seem to be able to set up plays. Can’t man on man mark. I’m really struggling to see how he’s still as good as everyone claims.

Is he a has been? Or is he still just as good and I’m blind? Please help me here this is a legitimate curious question

Topic #46193 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll show you how good I am baby

Reply #770850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing under Gleeson he'd still be good, he’d know how to use his strengths. He’s still got lots to offer but he has to have a defensive system that works for him.

Reply #770852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't feed the troll. Obviously baiting people.

Reply #770854 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

His size is freakish and makes him a handful but you have to use him in a very specific role. Obviously he's very immobile and isn't a play-maker at all. I wouldn't say he misses more than he makes though - career FG of 56% in the NBL.

Reply #770856 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Jawai has been stealing money for years now. He has extended his career as the Taipans don't pay for his salary as its funded through an indigenous scheme so at least he's free or partially free.

Reply #770864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still good? has been?

.. never was.

Reply #770887 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Jawai was great in his first season with Cairns when he averaged 17 & 9 and was MVP of the All-Star game as a rookie. He then spent two years in the NBA followed by 5 years in Europe.

When he came back to the NBL in 2015 with Perth after those 7 years away he wasn't the same player injuries and fitness concerns had caught up with him he had lost his explosiveness and has only been capable of playing limited minutes since.

Reply #770891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has achieved more in basketball that us hoops.com wankers.

Reply #770896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* than

Reply #770897 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Just ask MU how good he still is.

Nate at his best was freakish. He hasn't been near that level for a while, but is still a very good player.
When he first came back to Aus, and landed with Perth, he was unfit, overweight, and carrying back problems
and still helped us win a championship
Last season he looked as good as he has for several years.

He is (literally) a huge inside presence, both offensive and defensively. He's almost impossible to guard in the low post, and at the other end simply intimidates opponents out of their shot Sometimes he has off games, when his finishing lets him down, but last night he shot 77%.

He is a fantastic local option to have coming off the bench. We'd love to have him back in Perth, and at one point it was rumoured we were talking to him.

Reply #770904 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, great Nate game last night. Got taken advantage of on defense a few times, but more than made up for it down the other end. Was it the season before last where Nate was injured really early in the season (first game?) for Cairns, after looking like he was in the best shape of his career - really crappy timing. No question he's been out of shape at various stages of his career, but he's had horrible luck with some bad injuries and his body type is one where he's going to have to put in a ton of effort to keep weight off.

No question marks about his achievements either - played in the NBA, top teams in Europe, Boomers, he's had a hell of a career, and is still very much worth a roster spot today.

Reply #770911 | Report this post

Rae  
Years ago

Thank you so much everyone for your responses! Much appreciated

Reply #770991 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754