Anonymous
Years ago

NCAA to allow players to make money

They've agreed to change the rules. Targeting implementation by 2021.

is this a big blow for the next stars program

Topic #46202 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe, depends how much their names images etc are worth vs potential sponsors & match payments

Reply #771027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big mistake imo. College kids should not be paid. You should be able to go straight into g league from high school.

Reply #771031 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not a mistake at all IMO, but if anything it doesn't go far enough. Time to drop the student athlete charade altogether.

Reply #771033 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

This will take some time it won't happen straight away.

They'll more than likely have to distribute evenly across all rostered players so this might not be that much money once its all said and done.

Let be frank thou this is about making sure the NBA doesn't get rid of the USA based players age restriction rule.

Reply #771034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow they are scared of the NBL
Still the NBL is a slight steep up from the NCAA and could still be a good place to showcase young talent to the nba scouts.

Reply #771036 | Report this post

Colcon  
Years ago

The door is opening to allow payments for NCAA college athletes to earn $ from marketing their image etc. This follows a California court ruling a few weeks ago to allow payments from 2023. The NCAA is now saying 2021 for payments "consistent with the collegiate model". I guess that means a raft of regulations to come to ensure no reduction in the level of playing fields (maintaining fair competition across/between conferences) or undue incentives to lure players to particular rosters? However, it is very hard to predict where the NCAA will land with this but this statement is a positive step for basketballers.

As opposed to a push to pay basketballers for playing, which would re-direct NCAA funds away from other athletic programs to individual basketballers, payments for marketing should not detrimentally affect other athletes.

See link: https://www.thescore.com/wcbk/news/1866317/ncaa-opens-door-for-athletes-to-profit-from-name-image-likeness

Reply #771038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"College kids should not be paid"

Why not? If the NCAA is profiting off these kids and their athletic ability, why should some of that money not go to them?

Reply #771041 | Report this post

Colcon  
Years ago

"Why not? If the NCAA is profiting off these kids and their athletic ability, why should some of that money not go to them?" anon ~041 above.

I also think they shouldn't be paid. The NCAA is a not-for-profit organisation. They make money from 3 or 4 sports (mens basketball, football, baseball, hockey?) which then subsidises the other 40 sports. If they pay mens basketballers then there is less for the other sports athletes. Basketballers are fortunate that they have the opportunity to play professionally post college which most other athletes do not have. They do incredibly well now, without also paying them at the expense of others. If basketballers get paid then there will be other athletes who wont get their college opportunity which is what it is all about.

I realise that many on this forum are focussed on basketball and believe they should be paid. However, I think the bigger picture needs to be considered - the money needs to come from somewhere.

Reply #771047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a mess and the disparity between talented kids is huge. Fair to have 1 kid get 30,000 on the assumption he’ll be good over a bench kid who gets 500$.

Reply #771048 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Still the NBL is a slight steep up from the NCAA and could still be a good place to showcase young talent to the nba scouts."

I don't understand this 'slight' stuff. Have to remember all the kids on a NCAA bench end up doing other things with their life instead of basketball, 1 out of 100 might maybe make NBA, and maybe the 2nd and 3rd options on the best teams might make Europe or NBL. The step up from college and NBL is much bigger than slight.

Reply #771053 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

" The NCAA is a not-for-profit organisation "

College coaches and team managers certainly make a profit

Reply #771056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoy Next Stars while you can because the NCAA have seen the floodgates opening and they're about to shut them

Reply #771057 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"floodgates"

5 guys. Only 2 who were eligible for college.

Reply #771060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(I don't understand this 'slight' stuff. Have to remember all the kids on a NCAA bench end up doing other things with their life instead of basketball, 1 out of 100 might maybe make NBA, and maybe the 2nd and 3rd options on the best teams might make Europe or NBL. The step up from college and NBL is much bigger than slight.)

Is the NBL slightly better than the G league?
Is the G league slightly better than NCAA?
Are these leagues all just a slight step up from each other until nba level?
NCAA bench players could dominate at nbl1 level and make a small living from NBL and nbl1 nznbl just because they choose a different career path doesn't mean they are shit basketball players.

Reply #771066 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Letting players get paid is obvious. Most people at uni work to get money and study, The basketball IS the work.

Implementation is interesting, perhaps players can be given the same amount based on year? Freshman, sophomore etc different levels of pay

Reply #771070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, if you go to Duke with tuition room and board is if USD$73k per year so a 4 year full scholarship is worth USD$292k !
not bad for a Duke education and future networks and playing basketball at world class facilities and world class coaching

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/02/duke-university-tuition-a-73513-education

Reply #771072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its really simple

The colleges dont need to pay the players a cent

You dont need to have equal pay or any sort of scale

Just allow the players who can to sign shoe and other sponsorship deals, and give them a small percentage of the merch you sell with their name or image on it

It wont cost the Colleges a cent, but the top prospects will be able to earn some great money without having to deal with investigations, suspensions, etc

Reply #771074 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah allowing sponsorships seems to be the easiest way. Their are cons to that though.

Local sponsors saying "we will give you this much in sponsorship if you choose this college" means the bigger schools are likely to get an even bigger cut of the top players.

Secondly, sponsorships to players could affect overall sponsorships to colleges, meaning the schools are making less money and less able to run programs etc.

Not saying either of these are catastrophic, but there's no plan that doesn't have its downsides.

For the record I think players should be able to receive payment in someway if someone thinks they're worth that. I don't know what plan I would favour, but I think there needs to be some provision for payment.

Reply #771078 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Depending on the deal is it fair for a Zion to earn millions while the 8th man on the roster doesn't earn at all?

As these guys are one/done the income generated for sales likeness etc might not happen until they've left the University particularly around the video games.

There is alot to be considered but hopefully it a fair and reasonable system that takes into account that the education they get over the 4 years isn't free but we also can't have these guys so poor that they can't eat!

Reply #771079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^yep it will take some working out but has to be a fair system

Reply #771084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares the NCAA is dead once the NBA removes the one and done rule

Reply #771086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reportedly lamelo and Hampton on $800k between them!

Reply #771089 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The NCAA still has a pretty big following and if the big schools make tourney runs the ratings are very good.

The NBA doesn't have the loyal alumni support that the NCAA has with the NBA ratings falling consistently year on year in the USA so one and done won't be the end of the NCAA

Reply #771094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is being overlooked here is that some of the elite talent have no interest in studying at University. They do not want to have the task of achieving minimum grades to be NCAA eligible. Didn't Ben Simmons miss some games because he didn't satisfy some academic requirements at LSU? Even if the NCAA allow students to be paid there will still be some who can't stand the thought of further study after high school. As long as there is a year between the NBA draft and the final high school year there will be players interested in the next star NBL program.

Reply #771097 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The NCAA will still be fine even without the one and done guys.

What is it maybe a couple dozen guys who leave after one year? And how many of those are SURE they're going to only do one year? I mean sure guys like Zion and RJ Barrett knew, but there's other guys who get injured in year one or just don't have that impact as a Freshman who stay on for another year or sometimes more.

Most college teams play with no future NBA players and still get good crowds and good TV audience. Some will argue it will be better as you'd end up getting guys who play college who WANT to be there.

Not saying it wouldn't mean the NCAA taking a hit of some kind, but their success is about more than a couple dozen guys a year.

Reply #771098 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The Next Stars program was always going to be niche and as it stands, still barely makes an impact among college eligible athletes.

If the NBA and/or NCAA change the rules around their eligibility the small niche for the Next Stars program is done.

Reply #771106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""floodgates"

5 guys. Only 2 who were eligible for college."

I said floodgates openING

Reply #771108 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Be interesting to see what they mean by "consistent with the collegiate model"? Does that mean they want to pool the funds?

Reply #771111 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"I said floodgates openING "

Fair.

I still say it would never have been more than niche even with the changes.

Reply #771118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think some other leagues around the world would already see the impact of these guys in the NBL and be planning to get a piece of the action next season

Reply #771121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NCAA is a not-for-profit organisation

so how is it they can pack out 80,000 seat stadiums on college game days? do you know some of the college football coaches get paid more than NFL coaches? i highly doubt the NCAA is not for profit. either way the NCAA gets a cut from every college program

Reply #771174 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It is not for profit. That's why the coaches get paid so much, the money has to be spent somewhere so they can avoid profiting.

Reply #771177 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Not for profits do pay people to work lol, unless of course you're ncaa profiting from athletes working and not paying them

Reply #771180 | Report this post

Colcon  
Years ago

'Not-for-profit' organisations can make profits - it's just that they return them to their members. The NCAA make over $1billion per year, mostly from the basketball march madness tv rights. You can be sure that what ever happens to player marketing payments that it wont be putting at risk the TV rights value of the basketball championship. The NCAA returns the $1 billion to their members aths depts and students in facilities and scholarships (across all sports).

The 350 NCAA D1 schools make about $10 billion per year from college athletics, mainly from football local TV rights and gate takings and basketball a distant second contributor. The colleges pay the coaches the big money, and invest in facilities to attract the best talent to win championships (organised by the NCAA).

If College athletes get paid based on the money that they make for their college then the footballers would take the lion share and the basketballers get the scraps and the other sports get nothing. I think the current system, which allocates profits across 40 sports and not 2 has a lot going for it.

There are about 5000 D1 college basketballers, and about 1% make the NBA.

As an aside, when my daughter attended D1 college, the local College basketball team attracted bigger crowds than the local NBA team. Don't underestimate the support for the NCAA vis-à-vis the NBA.

Reply #771416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't see why this would kill the Next Stars program.

I think for a high level prospect like Hampton who can justify his minutes and the likes of Melo, Ferguson, Bowen who can justify some burn they will develop better playing a year against men than a year against kids.

If the NBL can attract 2 good names each year, that's great.

The one thing that would kill the Next Stars program is if HS players could go direct to the NBA again.

Reply #771518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's pretty obvious the NCAA is scared

Reply #771642 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

College teams have been paying under the table payments to players and their families for donkey years.

Losing a few stars to the NBL isn't the issue.

To make it legal for players to get paid takes out the corruption and the NCAA will look better in a marketing sense.

Plus, the NBA is looking to run their own development league and therefore, making NCAA a waste of time for star players.

Reply #772427 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754