Anonymous
Years ago

Hawks rumours

Liagelo Ball is in Australia and practicing with the hawks.
Any truth to this or news?

Topic #46206 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of non-rostered players train with teams.

Reply #771101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear the hawks are looking at playing him

Reply #771102 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hawks have import slots to burn, no money, and need a SG...

Reply #771105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the hawks this year should just at making money not winning

Reply #771112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the amount of nba scouts watching the hawks it would be wise for any new import to take a pay cut if they feel talented enough to make the nba next season.

Reply #771116 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Not trying to win and instead playing kids who aren't ready is clearly turning Hawks fans off. While they might get a short term bump in sponsor dollars, this isn't the way to build the long term success of the club.

Reply #771119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Hawks need talent, why would they be looking at LiAngelo?

Reply #771122 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

LiAngelo ball isn't very good but hey lets turn the league into a twitter and Insta league and make it a laughing stock.

Reply #771123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can play......what's wrong with Twitter and instagram? It’s bringing money to the NBL don’t you want the NBL to grow?
The NBL can’t stay stuck in the 80’s and 90’s forever social media is where it’s at #liangeloball

Reply #771128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$400k for Lamelo or there abouts!

Reply #771132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paid by the NBL

Reply #771135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am pretty sure that you could find 2 very good players or even one for that money and they would have more wins.
It's great having 1.9mill views on fb but it ain't helping the win column. All I see when I see lamely playing is an 18yo not very good kid playing against men.

Reply #771142 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LiAngelo is training with the Hawks? Shopkeepers in Wollongong to go on red alert.

Reply #771145 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

PW wasn't it at an airport shop?

No airport at Wollongong. The little airfield at Shellharbour doesn’t count.

Reply #771148 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It wasn't.

Reply #771152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(All I see when I see lamely playing is an 18yo not very good kid playing against men.)

Top 4 in the NBL at steals average 1.7 per game
Top3 in the NBL at assists average 5.7 per game

Not bad for a 18 y/o kid

Reply #771159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah shame about the money being watsed and not scoring more points add to that a 31 point smashing.

Reply #771161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth got smashed by 30 at home by the taipans that would suck

Reply #771164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is in Australia atm. Not too crazy to think he might have joined in training. Gives them an extra number at practice for drills and games, probably good for melos morale having him around, and on the off chance he's secretly a complete gun (even though he's not lol) gives them a chance to have a look at him and scout him.

Reply #771165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the hype about #1 draft pick is hilarious.
He can undoubtedly play but happy seriuosly in the top 10 of NBA draft picks?
Happy to be wrong of course. The hype is great but even the local fans aren't even turning up at their own box office.

Reply #771168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like a hundreds per seat or something like that

Reply #771169 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon - cherry picking stats is pretty easy.

He's almost the worst shooter on the Hawks' team (effective field goal percentage of 37.8%) - almost everyone else in the team is doing better than that, yet he takes more of the team's shots (20% of them) than anyone except Brooks.

He shoots the 3 at 18% and yet takes (nearly) three 3 point shots per game.

There're some cherries.

Reply #771170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ and yet he's getting 100% of the YouTube views and will be drafted into the nba next year 100%
cherry’s are good

Reply #771172 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

How will Instagram and Twitter provide a sound business model to keep the team running all season?

What happens when people stop following them actively, whether thru boredom or cos of poor results?

Reply #771173 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

LaMelo's court vision and passing skills have been impressive, but his shooting and shot selection has been detrimental to the team. LaMelo plays more like a player wanting to show off his skills to scouts and play out of himself, demonstrating floaters and step-back and deep 3s, than play within himself to win. It's more of a G-league mentality. It's an interesting comparison with RJ because RJ's stats are less impressive, but he appears to be playing within the system towards a successful team.

Reply #771175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most mock drafts have Lamelo top 5

Reply #771184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably one of the worst 3 pt shooting styles I have ever seem.

Reply #771188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(How will Instagram and Twitter provide a sound business model to keep the team running all season?)

NBL pulling in big bucks from next stars

Matt Logue has an article up he wrote in the Telegraph.

Reply #771191 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Likely that the truth is in the middle of it all. Cost a lot, but bringing in a lot of attention and I imagine has paid off. Is a young, flawed player, but a solid prospect (remember that Ferguson went from doing very little with the 36ers to starting at OKC quite quickly). Might not be a net positive on court, but currently the only contributing import they have!

Reply #771194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True ^
And this happened

Corey "Homicide" Williams Twitter
·
11h
NBL OVERTIME has now hit the global stage.
@Liam_Santa

@camluke

@espnausnz

@sportscenter

@espn
#SeeIncredible #Nbl20

Reply #771204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ESPN America has a weekly NBL news update provided by the NBL overtime crew.

Reply #771206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^just another thing melo has brought to the NBL not bad from an 18 y/o kid that a lot of you are suggesting is the worst player in the league

Reply #771207 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I'm been quite impressed with Lamelo.
Yes, he's playing like a high-schooler, and needs to be reigned in a bit, but they also don't have many options.
Yes, he frequently takes shots he shouldn't, but I wonder if sometimes its due to a lack of options?

Put a decent SG in the backcourt with him, Play Blanchfield at the 3, and maybe get a PF with a range greater than 2 feet. Suddenly options open up, and he can use his passing to advantage.

But also keep in mind that he is here to LEARN. Hopefully he does, and improves steadily.

Reply #771208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He ain't learning anything playing for that coach.

Reply #771218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^melo has a personal coach with him

Reply #771220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not LaMelo's fault. What about how they recruited no power forwards? Opening night started Boone and Ogilvy together and now forced to use Coenraad there.

They are a very young team, relying on the likes of Ball, Grida, Naar, Froling and Dech to play roles. As I mentioned they have no recognised power forward on their roster and their veterans are on the downside (Boone, Andersen, Ogilvy). They also started with Brooks coming off the bench for a while, which was a bit of a head scratcher.

Probably the only guy in his "prime" is Blanchfield and he had 0 points vs Perth.

Reply #771226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone is expected to play on Sunday.

Reply #771239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm still hearing things about Li Angelo joining the hawks. Can anyone confirm if he is in Australia training with the hawks?

Reply #771250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah saw him training at the Snakepit

Reply #771255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm Gelo will be playing in my social team tonight as a trial for the Hawks. Announcement of signing coming Saturday is my guess

Reply #771287 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

We've all heard of rebuilding. Some of you may see comparisons between Hawks 2020 & Taipans 2019. Lots of young'ens, lots of (potential) talent and a never-before-tried new HC.

Cairns had a shocker last year. This year,.. they're much better. Let's hope that the Hawks can be compared as an improver next year. With this statement from Anon: "They are a very young team, relying on the likes of Ball, Grida, Naar, Frolling and Dech to play roles." Not a bad local core for a team in the near future, say next year.

Anon went on with, "As I mentioned they have no recognised power forward on their roster and their veterans are on the downside (Boone, Andersen, Ogilvy)." who are all due to be replaced next season, anyway,IMO.

Very sad about Brook's injury (and loved someone's comment that he, Brooks, should/could be offered a PR role with the NBL). Also thought him a terrific influence for the young guys. His presence though, and that of Lamelo, led to unrealistic expectations that they may be a winning combo. For the sake of developing for the future, and I do mean next season, not 10 years from now, Brook's replacement is a chance to go for a player to fit in with those youngsters. Add a couple of decent imps, and the hardest part, replace that front line.

They could look like this:

*Guards: Import, Naar, Grida, Dech, Blanch (as a 2/3)
*Forwards: Import, Coenraad (reckon Bairstow/Motum would be great)
*Centres: Frolling and then????? [Lansdale to team up with Naar again - see if they still have it!? Humphries. It would be a great springboard for him if he does not make the big dance. Has a good 2020 with the Hawks and he is worth anything to the other (NBL) teams in 2021 for multi-year cont.]

Don't like saying this but AJ's time, with the Hawks is up! Could still be sound value in the league, say ala Jervis, but not at the Hawks. For me, AJ epitomises what the Hawks are now. A very good team on the way down. AJ is a very good centre, on the way down. Same can be said for Boone, I think. As for Anderson, I would like for him to stay on. Firstly 'cos he just deserves it for what he has achieved over for ever! Also, he delivers what's expected. Also, will ever be a fabulous role-model for future young bigs.

Coenraad & Blanchfield are different in that they are not yet, on their way down and could even share say, a 3-guard spot on the team.

There! Now that I've fixed the Hawks for 2020/20121 season, I'd like to add that that is the role I heard Flinn describe as the Hawks role in the NBL, as a development team.

And Lamelo!? He is a God-send. [so too was Brooks but as the scriptures (apparently) say, "He giveth and He taketh away."][No, not preaching, just saying]

Reply #771302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns had a shocker last year. This year,.. they're much better.

yeah, but they let their coach of 9 years go after the season ended and by the time a replacement was signed it was so deep into post season they had to sign whoever was left. they only brought back 3 players from last year again but they actually had the luxury of putting some thought into signings this year.

the hawks are lamelo + a grab bag of bad ideas.

Reply #771308 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Thanks for that comment, Anon. Were you referring to Hawks or Taipans? Because you wrote, "they only brought back 3 players from last year", I suppose you are referring to Cairns. Otherwise,also fits, doesn't it?

Reply #771317 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754