Aussie
Years ago

NBL pulling in big bucks from next stars

Matt Logue has an article up he wrote in the Telegraph.

I can't read it because of pay wall.

Can someone please paste the article?

Topic #46210 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

A fluff article, nothing of note.

30% increase in crowds in games featuring ball and Hampton.

They aim to reinvest into next stars

Reply #771176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

click on the article via his twitter post. it bypasses the paywall

https://twitter.com/mattlogue7/status/1189457396281667584

Reply #771179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Update: The NBL has received a significant financial boost from the presence of NBA-draft bound teens LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton, which will be reinvested back into the league including the Next Stars program.

CEO Jeremy Loeliger told The Daily Telegraph that Ball and Hampton's signings with Illawarra and New Zealand have resulted in a cash boost for the clubs and the league.

On the back of record crowds and landmark deals with Facebook, Twitch and Slam magazine, Loeliger says the NBL is in a financial position to re-invest in the Next Stars program.

Live stream selected games of the 2019/20 NBL Season with ESPN on KAYO with your TV, Mobile, Tablet or Laptop. Get your 14 day free trial & start streaming instantly >

The Hawks’ Lamelo Ball (left) and the Breakers’ RJ Hampton have been money spinners for the NBL. Picture: Getty Images
The Hawks’ Lamelo Ball (left) and the Breakers’ RJ Hampton have been money spinners for the NBL. Picture: Getty Images
"We want to make sure that the Next Stars is sustainable and continues to attract the right talent," Loeliger said.

MORE IN SPORT
YOKOHAMA, JAPAN - OCTOBER 26: The England head coach Eddie Jones, looks on during the Rugby World Cup 2019 Semi-Final match between England and New Zealand at International Stadium Yokohama on October 26, 2019 in Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan. (Photo by David Rogers/Getty Images)
'Enjoy the play-off’: Eddie’s brutal sledge to rival
‘Enjoy the play-off’: Eddie’s brutal sledge to rival
Jordan Rapana of the Raiders in action during the NRL Preliminary Final match between the Canberra Raiders and South Sydney Rabbitohs at GIO Stadium in Canberra, Friday, September 27, 2019. (AAP Image/Lukas Coch) NO ARCHIVING, EDITORIAL USE ONLY
NRL slams door on rugby defector Rapana
NRL slams door on rugby defector Rapana
“Any game featuring LaMelo or Hampton, attendances have been up 30 per cent for both home and away games.

“The television numbers continue to grow domestically but more importantly the international market in the US is significant through Facebook and Twitch.

“We’ve seen a lot of benefit but we are still doing it tough here at the NBL.

“We are by no means on easy street but at the moment we are all in the spirit of re-investing back into the growth of the NBL.”

The success of Ball and Hampton’s time in the NBL in the Next Stars program hasn’t gone unnoticed on the global basketball stage.

RJ Hampton makes a pass for the Breakers against Melbourne United. Picture: Getty Images
RJ Hampton makes a pass for the Breakers against Melbourne United. Picture: Getty Images
Loeliger has been inundated with expressions of interest from players, family members, agents and even big-name brands who track rising high school talent.

“They are waiting to see if players will make a move to the NBL next season,” he said.

“We are having discussions already but they are early because people tend not to make decisions or announcements this side of the New Year.

“But all the right people are paying attention, so I have every expectation that it will get bigger and better.”

Loeliger admits he didn’t expect the Next Stars program to attract such record-breaking attention, including almost 2 million people watching Ball and Hampton’s maiden NBL match-up via Facebook.

NBL boss Jeremy Loeliger. Picture: AAP
NBL boss Jeremy Loeliger. Picture: AAP
“I certainly had expectations that they would get this type of attention but I didn’t necessarily think we’d get to that point this year,” he said.

“But LaMelo and Hampton have settled in really well and are playing well.

“In the last round they had their best games so far this season.

“Didi at the Kings has also created a lot of interest in Brazil as well and he is playing some exceptional basketball.

“I think the players’ form is demonstrating the value of the Next Stars program.”

Reply #771181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no real facts ie. $$$$'s mentioned at all.
It not a fluff piece it's a waste of space. That's not journalism what so ever.

Reply #771189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol haters will hate

Reply #771190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No hate mate. There are no facts in the article. Thats what news is reporting the facts.

Reply #771238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Logue articles are all the same. Have some click-bait intro to make them appear interesting, be light on facts that support the title, then just repeat the same old stuff that gets mentioned in every other article.

Reply #771264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this the same guy that was going to start a new NBL franchise?

Reply #771265 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Any media coverage is good and this guy does a good job getting articles printed.

But pretty much all of the mainstream media coverage, Logue included, is little more than PR pieces for the NBL, pushing the "LK and his team are amazing" line and providing very few facts or critical analysis. Or even asking difficult questions.

Reply #771267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every sport is puff pieces of journalism, the afl is full of it, it's all crap.

Reply #771269 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

NBL needs all the media coverage it can get. If it's "basketball is booming" "NBL is going strong" "LK is getting it done" it conveys competence, confidence and creates a bit of a bandwagon for people who go "oh this is on the up better check it out"

Reply #771270 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

That aint journalism though, its PR

Reply #771271 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'm with you, KET

Reply #771272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair point KET, I suppose I am not the target audience because I've been following the NBL for 30+ years. I see some of these articles as papering over the cracks but happy to disregard them if they are helping put bums on seats.

Reply #771275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More NBL propaganda. Things are not going as well as they might have everyone believe. Crowds down, TV viewers down, sponsorship down. Not sustainable. Like soccer, a second tier sport in OZ cannot survive on its own.

Reply #771499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowds are up

Reply #771500 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

More NBL propaganda. Things are not going as well as they might have everyone believe. Crowds down, TV viewers down, sponsorship down

Talk about baseless comment!

Reply #771504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tv viewers are up now we get every game fta and Facebook

Reply #771507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sponsorship is up too.
499 sounds like your from SA, you should say no to drugs and stay off the meth

Reply #771509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#499 probably from an opposition sport, doesn't like competition.

Reply #771511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(No hate mate. There are no facts in the article. Thats what news is reporting the facts.)

The fact is your a hatter
No facts in the story, did you even read it? It's full of facts you just want to hate that’s all good mate just a sh;t way to live life.

Reply #771513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

( Like soccer, a second tier sport in OZ cannot survive on its own.)

Yeah I guess 40 years the NBL must be just about to fold

Reply #771516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never ever been a hatter.

Reply #771524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I did read the article. That's why I said it was baseless. Please tell me where the FACTS are in the article seeing youf think I am so wrong.

Reply #771525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Never ever been a hatter.)

Until now

Reply #771532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Update: The NBL has received a significant financial boost from the presence of NBA-draft bound teens LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton, which will be reinvested back into the league including the Next Stars program.

^FACT

CEO Jeremy Loeliger told The Daily Telegraph that Ball and Hampton's signings with Illawarra and New Zealand have resulted in a cash boost for the clubs and the league.

On the back of record crowds and landmark deals with Facebook, Twitch and Slam magazine, Loeliger says the NBL is in a financial position to re-invest in the Next Stars program.

^FACT

Any game featuring LaMelo or Hampton, attendances have been up 30 per cent for both home and away games.

^FACT

The television numbers continue to grow domestically but more importantly the international market in the US is significant through Facebook and Twitch.

^FACT

"We've seen a lot of benefit but we are still doing it tough here at the NBL.

“We are by no means on easy street but at the moment we are all in the spirit of re-investing back into the growth of the NBL."

^FACT

The success of Ball and Hampton’s time in the NBL in the Next Stars program hasn’t gone unnoticed on the global basketball stage.

^FACT

“They are waiting to see if players will make a move to the NBL next season,” he said.

“We are having discussions already but they are early because people tend not to make decisions or announcements this side of the New Year.

“But all the right people are paying attention, so I have every expectation that it will get bigger and better.”

^FACT

Loeliger admits he didn’t expect the Next Stars program to attract such record-breaking attention, including almost 2 million people watching Ball and Hampton’s maiden NBL match-up via Facebook.

^FACT

“I certainly had expectations that they would get this type of attention but I didn’t necessarily think we’d get to that point this year,” he said.

“But LaMelo and Hampton have settled in really well and are playing well.

“In the last round they had their best games so far this season.

^FACT

“Didi at the Kings has also created a lot of interest in Brazil as well and he is playing some exceptional basketball.

“I think the players’ form is demonstrating the value of the Next Stars program.”

^FACT

Stay off the meth mate

Reply #771536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know any of those "facts" are true?

Reply #771537 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah I guess 40 years the NBL must be just about to fold

NBL 1979-2019 #40yearsstrong. FACT. Longest running professional league with no rename/rebrand in this country. FACT. Surprised NBL aren't promoting the FACT it is the 40th year anniversary, although Hawks 40th birthday back in February (FACT) wasn't promoted. Strange.

Reply #771552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You all drunk the cool aid. We have seen this movie before and it doesn't end well. 40 years of NBL, yep, 10 of those years in the spotlight. The rest of the time it was a second their sport with 0 sponsorship, 0 crowds, 0 TV rights, etc etc

Reply #771571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld
Yep ^ but what is your point?

Reply #771657 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I wanted to write FACT a whole bunch of times, plus the comment about not being able to survive made me proud of the NBL reaching 40.

Reply #771659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Yes I did read the article. That's why I said it was baseless. Please tell me where the FACTS are in the article seeing youf think I am so wrong.)

Lol

(How do you know any of those "facts" are true?)

Soooooo now you acknowledge there are FACTS in the article,now we age getting somewhere.
Now you need to concentrate and acknowledge that most of the article is about more viewers because of melo and RJ, now all of the figures can be calculated and totalled by almost anyone including you. And those figures are saying more viewership across the board and in turn more sponsors that equals more money. Do you have any other stupid questions?

Reply #771661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(You all drunk the cool aid. We have seen this movie before and it doesn't end well. 40 years of NBL, yep, 10 of those years in the spotlight. The rest of the time it was a second their sport with 0 sponsorship, 0 crowds, 0 TV rights, etc etc)

Are you sticking up for the NBL or putting it down?
I've been into the NBA since 1985 (go the Lakers) and have followed the NBL and the kings since 1988 I’ve seen all the ups and all the downs but I’ve never seen the NBL have no sponsors at all, or no crowds at all, its moved around a lot on different tv channels over the years then dropped off but who needs tv when we have the internet, I’ve never seen so much info on the NBL ever before.
those 10 years you speak of where excellence times for the NBL riding off the back of Jordan mania and the anticipation of the Sydney Olympics, but right now is so much better so let’s enjoy it.

Ooh yeah stay of the meth mate

Reply #771663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld
Yeah it is fun FACT and let's hope for another strong 40 years, how good is the NBL right now :)

Reply #771664 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754