Lawsy
Years ago

Kings sign Deshon Taylor

Kings have signed Deshon Taylor to replace Lisch- I thought he signed in Germany or some euro league last week?

Not overly fussed on this signing

Topic #46213 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good addition. Deshon will thrive in Will Weaver's calm system.

Reply #771277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Lisch Australian now?
Surely the rule needs to be you replace like for like in injury circumstances.
Ohh hang on......., it's Sydney. My bad.

Reply #771278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have an import spot available, they can sign whoever they need to.

The real issue is them having a second round draft pick as a Next Star instead of making him an import.

Reply #771279 | Report this post

Botiworld  
Years ago

The Didi as next star issue aside, Sydney are within their rights to sign an import to replace Lisch or any other Aussie for that matter.

Reply #771282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Surely the rule needs to be you replace like for like in injury circumstances."

Agreed. You should only be able to sign someone the same height, weight and star sign as the injured player.

Reply #771283 | Report this post

Botiworld  
Years ago

Same star sign to keep salty anon happy.

Reply #771285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You should only be able to sign someone the same height, weight and star sign as the injured player"

Or the same initials, so Kevin Love, Kyle Lowry or KD Lang would have been better.

Reply #771290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Point guard, not seeing the need for him unless Ware carrying an injury. If Bogut goes down kings in big trouble.

Reply #771291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or doesnt pay his bill

Reply #771292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This would have to be a short term signing, if Lisch comes back they would have one to many on the roster. I'm not seeing this as an advancement to the kings.

Reply #771294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it sounds like the kings bought out his contract? Liam Santamaria on twitter

Reply #771295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Likely will finish out the season. They bought out his contract and you don't do that for just a short-term deal.

Reply #771297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone will have to go as you can't have 12 players. Three imports, next stars, plus eight locals, plus up to four DP. If Lisch comes back someone has to go or Taylor becomes a DP if that’s allowed.

Reply #771299 | Report this post

Dead Buckets.

Fuck you.

Dead Buckets.

Reply #771311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we see the salary figures please?

Reply #771312 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Can we see the salary figures please?"

Why? NBL teams can spend whatever they like, as long as they pay their luxury tax.

Reply #771313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the team that's currently 5-0 is adding a pretty good import, plus lisch eventually. Kings are stacked. DAYLIGHT.

Reply #771314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

could the injury be worse them reported

Reply #771315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor was just about to start in the Estonia- Latvia league, it's hardly top shelf, he’s agreed to joint Sydney till Lisch is back. It would be a budget import at best and maybe a plan to the future. Sydney team compared to Melbourne would be 50% less, there top five are on remarkable money.

Reply #771316 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

So the Kings are considering replacing Lisch, a great defender, all round good player and very team oriented player, with Taylor, an all round good player, defender and team contributor? He might stay on if he goes well, or Lisch doesn't recover.

Anyone would think that the Kings are trying to build a championship team, not a motley collection of offensive players.

They still have an import slot if Taylor doesn’t work out.

They seem serious about winning this season.

Reply #771319 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Is Taylor suiting up this week?

Reply #771323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG was serious about winning but you need more than reputation to put a side together.

Reply #771324 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon 324

Exactly. Serious about winning. Taylor doesn't have a huge rep, but he’ll fill in well for Lisch. Recruiting to fill team needs.

Reply #771379 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Sydney's attempted purchase of a premiership fell short last season - they are making sure of buying those rings this year! What a joke! Imagine who they will get next year if they still miss out!

Reply #771412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne United and Perth have purchased a few rings over the years why not Sydney?

Reply #771417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure that LIsch has been injured for most of his Kings career.
If he's out for 2 months minimum assuming he comes back will he have even played enogh games to qualify?
Kings aren't breaking any rules and Perth do the same thing year ager year.
PeterJohn summed up some anonymous idiot's "can we see the salary crap please ?
Just shows you the dicks here that are happy to post crap without knowing nothing about how the game is run.
AS a long time Kings fan let's hope this regime get's it right and wins it all. Since they Kings have been back it's been so poorly run, coached and underwhelming.
No JVG, no Gaze that's a great start. Will is a very astute coach and unlike Gaze is a refreshing change at the Kings. He actually knows how to coach. I have certainly spoken to the Kings insiders and many were prepared to walk rather than do another season under Gaze.

Reply #771418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^looks like you have had a few mate :)
I like Gaze but it was hard to watch him coach last year. Go the kings

Reply #771422 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Kings are entitled to pay their top 6 whatever they choose. Since he will replace Lisch, there's no problem. Bogut remains their 1st Marquee. They lose the ability to treat a 2nd local as Marquee, but that might have been Lisch anyway. LOL

Seems a slightly strange signing, another PG, but I assume Weaver likes him and thinks he can play as a SG.

Sure, Sydney have spent obscene amounts to buy a championship, but its within the rules. And it's not like it has made them super dominant. They didn't even make the finals in their first two years of extreme spending.
Wait and see how they go.

Reply #771438 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

D2.0, I imagine their lowest paid 5 would get under the 40% of cap requirement. They only have to average ~$120,000 each among those 5? Should be a gimme for any team to make.

So, as you say, they can pay the rest whatever they like.

Reply #771456 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I like the signing, to be honest. We could have survived without him the way Bruce has been playing, but we miss Lisch's perimeter D. In theory Taylor can provide that with the 2nd unit. Anything else he can provide is a bonus.

Reply #771458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"D2.0, I imagine their lowest paid 5 would get under the 40% of cap requirement. They only have to average ~$120,000 each among those 5? Should be a gimme for any team to make"

I thought it was 5 under 400k, or have they changed it?

Reply #771461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings budget this season was slashed, only Bogut and Ware on top dollars. Kauny, Walker, Bruce would be minimum or just above, Kickett and Moller next bracket up, Newley, Lisch, around 200g Tate a budget import probably the same. Didi next starts. Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and even Phoenix have probably spent more.
Taylor is also a budget import.

Reply #771464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sure, Sydney have spent obscene amounts to buy a championship, but its within the rules. And it's not like it has made them super dominant. They didn't even make the finals in their first two years of extreme spending.
Wait and see how they go."
Yeah its no biggie seeing the Cats and United do it ad infinitum.

Reply #771465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney has spent less money this year compared to Melbourne United and Perth and still sit at the top of the league and now they pick up a quality player at a budget price well done to the kings and well done Taylor

Reply #771473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deshon Taylor Twitter
@DTSavage_2
·
3h
I'll NEVER forget that feeling

(With picture of a bloody mouthed lion)

Look out Adelaide Deshon is coming for blood. This could be good

Reply #771476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deshon v Adelaide. Randle v Sydney. Deshon v Randle. Bogut v Froling

Could this be the biggest rivalry of the season?

Reply #771484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would not think Taylor would be in Adelaide for tomorrow game and if so would only just got off the plane. Can not see him against Adelaide this time and depending on Lisch return maybe not at all.

Reply #771488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe I guess we will find out tomorrow

One thing I do know is Deshon is pissed with Adelaide.

Reply #771491 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"I thought it was 5 under 400k, or have they changed it?"

There was a post a few months back that said it was (now) 5 under 40% of the soft cap. I took that at face value but I have no other source to confirm it.

Back when these salary rules were first introduced, $400,000 was 40% of the cap. Now it'd be about $640,000.

Reply #771492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the kings.com

He is expected to arrive into Australia in the coming days, it is not yet determined if he will suit up for the Club's Round 5 games against Adelaide and Melbourne.

Reply #771493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sydney has spent less money this year compared to Melbourne United and Perth"

hahahahahahahahaha what?

Reply #771497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget Pay cuts and technically Bogut’s 10% of the kings for this year isn’t paid in cash or until the end of the season so really the kings haven’t paid as much as melb or Perth but here they are 5 and 0 not bad work

Reply #771506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings wold be behind Melbourne, Perth, Phoenix, and even Brisbane.

Reply #771510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz are throwing some cash around as well

Reply #771517 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It has always been 40% of the Salary Floor, which in turn is 90% of the Soft Cap. So in year one, when the Soft Cap was $1.1M, it was near enough to $400k.
So would imagine its well north of $500 by now.

It's not as "easy" to meet as many seem to think. People love to throw around claims that so many players are playing for the minimum, but that is simply not true.
But clubs do manage, its why guys like Walker keep getting recycled.

It also has no bearing her, since Lisch would definitely not be included in that cap.

Reply #771519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings budget this season was slashed, only Bogut and Ware on top dollars. Kauny, Walker, Bruce would be minimum or just above, Kickett and Moller next bracket up, Newley, Lisch, around 200g Tate a budget import probably the same. Didi next starts. Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and even Phoenix have probably spent more.
Taylor is also a budget import.

LMAO - Have you thought of a career doing Stand-up.

Kings have the two highest paid players in the league, and by a country mile.
The cash component alone of Bogut's deal was $1M. And but for him, Ware would be the highest paid player in the NBL.
Newley and Lish wouldn't get out of bed for $200k. Okay it was reported they took pay cuts in the latest contracts, but that was coming off very high bases. Same with Kickert. Tate didn't come cheap either.

I wish the NBL would publish the gross figures, just so I could laugh even louder at you guys who have no clue and think all these guys are coming to Australia to work on their tans.

Reply #771521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember when the NBL said they would publish individual player salaries? That never happened, but I don't see why they shouldn't publish team salary spends.

Reply #771523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These guys from SA, stay off the meth.
You don't know what you’re talking about lol
Show us some proof of your made up figures ahhhh that’s right you can’t lol

Reply #771531 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The NBL should publish the Salaries like they said they would.

I would be OK with publishing the numbers without names against each number.

Reply #771534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No facts there mate, you should try get correct information instead making crap up. Bogut is the highest player in the league, Ware on good money but Prather, Long, Cotton earn more. Trimble and McCarron also on good money. McCarron had a contract in Europe last season and didn't leave to come play in Melbourne for the love of it. There are others in other clubs to, Paterson for a start. Lisch and Newley are vets and have young families and didn’t want to relocate, it’s well known they took much reduced money.

Players are entitled to wage privacy, but clubs could list players overall salaries with out names being attached to it.

Reply #771538 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Utd couldn't afford to pay Casper what Sydney did..but some numbnuts on here thinks they’ve had a salary cut......

Reply #771542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Casper was pissed off about the lies United told him re his salary and was never going back. Kennedy was nearly on double what he was on.

Reply #771543 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754