Anonymous
Years ago

Continuation? / "In the Act of Shooting"

Can somebody please explain this to me, or at least the current "interpretation".

I get what I think off as the basic concept, that a player fouled "on his way" to making a basket should not be penalised. But specific instances continue to confuse me.

Scenario 1:
A player being defended just inside the 3-point arc is fouled, puts the ball on the floor, dribbles into the key-way, and fails to make the lay-up.
There is no other foul, the ref in effect calls the play back and points to the point of impact. It's non bonus, but the fouled player is given two shots.

Scenario 2:
A player under his basket bends down to retrieve a loose ball, he then begins an upward motion (looked like he was preparing to go up for a dunk) but has his arms hacked on the way up, is dispossessed, and the foul called. They get the ball from the side, not shots.

Topic #46218 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://youtube/5Tt7kfl1pVg

Reply #771528 | Report this post

Frosty  
Years ago

The Act of shooting is when the dribble ends and the offensive player puts two hand or one under like a curry layup on the ball, this is the beginning of the act of shooting.

If the player changes their action mid flight and pass the ball this end the act of shooting.

It comes down to experience with most referees and common sense if a player is shooting or dribbling.

Reply #771530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That link is broken.

#1 - I'm guessing the referee did not believe another dribble has been taken after the foul was made - impossible to say without seeing footage. But based on your explanation free throws should not have been rewarded.

#2 - Again, a foul probably occurred as the offensive player had possession but before commencing the act of shooting, or appeared to try passing rather than shoot. Your explanation would be a two shot foul though.

Reply #771533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry! https://youtu.be/5Tt7kfl1pVg

Reply #771535 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754