Moose
Years ago

Sydney’s shaky start

Sydney are very much flattered by their 6-0 record

Have already played basket cases New Zealand and Adelaide twice, and not yet played Perth

Have won a super close game against Adelaide.

Not an impressive start for the Kings at all- the championship quest is looking a little shaky at this early stage

As always, they're doing what they need to do, but soon they'll need to start doing more. And given they carried over 80% of last year's roster, you do wonder how much upside they have in them (unless they make changes or upgrades which is always possible

Topic #46243 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its funny that this time last season, Perth were sitting in their usual place at the top of the ladder and the so-called experts (LV, Homicide) were asking "who have they played?"

No one is asking that of Sydney yet, who have had a very favourable run so far.

Reply #772108 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

On the flip side: Sydney have had Louzada and Lisch miss games, Ware is clearly hampered, and Bogut's court time has been managed.

Defensively, Sydney have been a class above the rest of the league (1st in efficiency) and I don't expect that to change if Bogut is healthy.

Although I do agree with your sentiments, offensively speaking: they range from Spurs-esque ball/player movement to a bunch of random stuff coinciding (7th in efficiency, barely above 8th).

For all the talk of Weaver's calmness, I haven't seen adjustments made when they're struggling to score. He clearly has trust in his players, but I'm not convinced the tradeoff will be worth it when they're playing the better teams. Time will tell.

Also, I don't consider NZ a basket-case (on the court, at least). They have their share of injuries and are putting together reasonable defensive performances.

Reply #772110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a feeling that Moose still lives at home with his parents. Don't be like Moose, he is more like a Goose.

Reply #772111 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

Vs Cairns - talent difference is massive

Vs Adelaide - Sixers just returned from their NBA games.

Vs NZ - also returning from NBA game

Vs NZ - see above

Vs Brisbane - credible win

Vs Adelaide - almost lose in regulation. Need five extra minutes to get the W.

Reply #772116 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Very shaky I agree.
The only reason they are 6-0 is because in all of their games so far they have played better than their opponents. If it wasn't for that they'd be under a lot of scrutiny.

Reply #772119 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

If Adelaide scored more points than Sydney before overtime, they would have won that game.

Reply #772121 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hey Moosw, you should join Cat Chat on Facebook, your topics would be well received there.

Reply #772127 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Moose*

Reply #772128 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

I disagree with the 'basket-case' grade of NZ. They are quietly putting together a pretty cohesive little unit on the court. Impressed with their coach and his demeanour. I reckon they are shaping up as this years dark horse.

In terms of Sydney having a shaky start... 6-0. What else do you want them to do?

Reply #772130 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

Love cat chat. They are my peoples.

Reply #772133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave Q - play better?

Reply #772135 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Dave Q, don't disagree entirely, but don't necessarily think they'll go deep;

Their only 2 wins have come both at home against Cairns and the Hawks (two pretty substandard teams who won't feature in the playoffs).

I think we'll have a good barometer after 3 more games - United, SEM and Perth (away). Lose all 3 (which is possible) and they will be 2-7.

Reply #772136 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

MACDUB, NZ would be punching above their weight to win 2-3 of their next three games without Hopson or Loe

They did only barely lose to Perth, which, home advantage aside, is a fair performance.

Reply #772143 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

I agree with Moose (AKA Andrew Gaze).

Kings are yet to proved themselves against the top 3 teams: Perth, Melbourne, and Phoenix.

Reply #772176 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:49 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754