Anonymous
Years ago

Melbourne Cup 2019

Yay or neigh?

Do hoopsters on here like racing or not?

Any tips or thoughts?

Topic #46255 | Report this topic

Moose  
Years ago

Anything that gets you out of work for a few hours is good.

Don't care for horses or the racing of horses.

Reply #772379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cruelty.

Reply #772390 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No interest in the hoops at all. Boring as bat shot. Maybe refs could learn to ride horses and f.... off into sunset.

Reply #772395 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I find it both boring and inhumane. But on the other hand I am strongly pro-public holidays.

Reply #772398 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Inhumane, boring and well past its used by date. Terribly overrated (not just the cup but the entire Spring Carnival season) and i wouldn't even call it a sport, the way its run. Could not care less.

On the plus side, although no public holiday in Perth, a slower day at work is nice.

Reply #772411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Exactly haz 100%

Reply #772439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horse racing industry 3rd largest employer in the country

Reply #772468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Horse racing industry 3rd largest employer in the country"

What?

Reply #772469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather we made some real Fords and Holdens.

Reply #772470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, 122 race horses died after the running last year... pretty screwed up.

Reply #772472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering only 24 are in the race, what happened to the other 98? Horse float pile up on the way home? Murder suicide pact?

Reply #772477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you own a pet dog consider where your PAL pet food comes from

Reply #772479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horse meat is a common food in parts of Europe and has been for centuries.

Reply #772481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, I meant after running. All races over year.

Reply #772483 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Love it...it's the best event this country has to offer every year

Reply #772518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horse racing is trash and outdated. When I think of it, I think of old men at the TAB...

Can bet on a lot of other sports these days with out risk of inhumane activity.

Reply #772548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

these days just full of bogans getting drunk within an hr of being there.
Really gone to crap. Same in the u.k now also.

Reply #772550 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Since when the forum turn into hippy protest #yuptothecup

Reply #772552 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

shame they dont promote basketball half as much as they promote this dam race, not only is it cruel but the government spend 72 million supporting it, it may provide a number of jobs but christ $72million, that could be better spent and provide jobs too without the cruelty, not forgetting the drunk bogans who trash the place, and while we are at it better tack on domestic violence , it increases 45% cup week, like grand-final weekend.
yet a sport like basketball, that is really a community sport as it covers all age groups and socioeconomic groups, it gets jack all in the way of promotion and support.

time it was abolished, the days of it being 'the sport of kings'is long gone, its the sport of cheats and animal abusers and bogans

Reply #772556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Shayno'

= ...’

Reply #772557 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

What an awesome day it was with the Aussie Bred horse getting the nod and winning on the big day.

Its a shame that certain elements in Australia don't embrace the Melbourne Cup and horse racing as an industry but its there loss as its such a great spectacle.

Reply #772620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is all this talk of inhumane treatment

Reply #772639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#639, you been in a cave. Race horses been getting miss treated and sent to abattoirs getting whacked with steel pipes and turned into pet food, while the paper work says they are living a lovely life on someone's farm enjoying retirement.

I can understand the attraction to horse racing but don’t follow it, but some of even the big trainers are getting suspended for electric shocks to horses and other inhumane treatment. They need to clean it up, governments make enough money out of it.

Reply #772680 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Its a great sport with a long history that's a core part of Australia and its folklore.

Those who don't enjoy it simply haven't enjoyed the finer things at the track like beating the bookies, getting up a group quaddie, enjoying french champagne whilst getting served great food.

A day at the track ticks all the boxes of a good time.

Reply #772682 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754