Anonymous
Years ago

I wouldn't have signed Rice Jr: Boucher

""I don't know Glen Rice Jr from a bar of soap, I know his history and it's a history you don't want to get involved in," Boucher told Sky Sport News."

I guess we're getting some insight into why Boucher and the breakers parted ways?

Topic #46293 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

No one doubts Rice's playing ability, but his previous off court activities have raised concerns.

During Rice's chequered pass he was shot in the leg in an incident outside an Atlanta restaurant in 2015. Then after police arrived, they charged him with reckless conduct and marijuana possession.
In 2016, he was arrested on aggravated battery and drug possession charges in Georgia, according to the Washington Post.

In February 2017, he was arrested again on misdemeanour battery charges in Miami after police said he punched a bouncer at a strip club. He received six months of probation and community service, according to online court records.
Here's a story about the 2016 battery/possession situation.

Reply #772963 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

I wouldn't have signed him either. What a fall from grace for the business side of the Breakers.

Reply #772964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gangster, listen to him speak.

Reply #772965 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Just watched the presser. Was he stoned?

Reply #772972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on the breakers for giving him a chance. Looks as though he can play

Reply #772980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has ever questioned his abilities as a player, but if he wasn't such an idiot away from the game, he’d still be in the NBA on talent alone.
Guess the Breakers were willing to take a chance on him changing. I’m sure Marion reached out to his dad to ask if he was worth a shot but based on his chequered past, I don’t think he’s worth the distraction

Reply #772988 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He's a short term injury replacement mid season.
He has the talent and NZ believe they have the systems in place to get the best of him while he’s here.
I’m looking forward to the next game to see what he can produce with a few practices under his belt.

Reply #772989 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I guess if it's only for a short time, they think that they can keep in check for that short a time... At least it's not like JvG bringing in that basketcase to the Kings that he knew was a problem player and thought that they could bring in a handler and it would all work out... buh-bowwww...

If Rice Jr can produce like this and keep any issues off the court in check, then it will be worth the risk...

Reply #772997 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Reading this thread brings back memories of Julius Hodge's time in the NBL

Reply #772998 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

PeterJohn, you don't have to stray that far. Corey Webster failed a drug test and was separately found guilty of assault. Feisty backcourt!

Reply #773009 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ Wookiee; you mean Tyler? That's who Rice Jr reminds me of. I mean, benefit of the doubt and all that, but much like Tyler it sounds like Rice Jr would still be in the NBA if not for all the on and off-court drama.

Reply #773011 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Rice looked good and controlled when he was on the court even copping the fouls. I did notice a couple of times at timeouts that he wasn't even anywhere near the team huddle. It's prob another paycheck for him and to put on a show for his next contract.

Reply #773021 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Will he get a visa to enter Australia?

Reply #773025 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Reality - that's a really good question. Good thinking. In fact, it's debateable whether he should have even been let into NZ.

Tyler the Creator got banned from entering NZ in 2014 for safety reasons because of the lyrics of his songs! It incited violence apparently.

Reply #773030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he plays a dominant role in getting the Breakers season on-track, it will be telling if they let him go or if they will be tempted to keep him around.

His talent is unquestionable. But I also figure that the Breakers got him cheap. I can't imagine demand is high for him in reputable leagues. It looks like he's been messing around leagues in South America. But at the same time, if he can play well and remain relatively disciplined it may just help get his career back on track.

Reply #773044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of stories say he was arrested. But has he actually been convicted of anything?

Reply #773045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #773047 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Sounds like one for Peter Dutton!

Reply #773079 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@AngusH: Yup, Tyler, that's the one... So much talent wrapped up in a giant toolbag...

Reply #773084 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

His one game was better than anything Boucher ever did. LMFAO.....

Reply #773118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ignorant on that take ThunderJam. Knew his role played it to perfection. Purists would know this.

Reply #773133 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Was Barlow getting physical later in the game to try to instigate a reaction from Rice? Or just trying to draw Rice's 5th foul? This occurred just before Rice fouled out.

I wonder if teams will test his in-game temperament given his past behavioural issues off the court. Are there any reports of in-game incidents involving Rice?

Reply #773140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One in Philippines.

Adelaide will be an interesting test for him!

Reply #773143 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"His one game was better than anything Boucher ever did. LMFAO....."

His game was better than winning four titles?

Reply #773150 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good point re visa, don't know about NZ. But in Australia, plenty of people with far less shady histories than Rice Junior have been denied entry on "character" grounds

Reply #773322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Common now, having a criminal conviction is a prerequisite for getting into Australia.

Reply #773397 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Common now, having a criminal conviction is a prerequisite for getting into Australia."

It used to be compulsory to have a criminal conviction, unless you worked for the government.

Reply #773406 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I've always hated the Breakers but Rice has got me really excited to see them, I have never enjoyed watching Breakers basketball more than this season and Delaney has hardly been sighted... can't wait until Breakers come to Perth next home game...

I hope all his off court issues are behind him and he can let his game do the talking.

Would the minders of RJ Hampton be happy with Rice hanging around or is it good that he isn't in such a bubble?

On another note, remember when there were rumours that an NBL club would sign Gilbert Arenas... shame that didn't happen.

Reply #773909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signed in Lithuania. Good luck.

Reply #815738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754