Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney has 4 imports?

How is it that Syndey has Didi treated as a next star when he has already been drafted ? Its like someone getting James Ennis as a next star. He should be taking a regular import slot. Unfair advantage for Sydney.

Ball and Hampton are pre-draft.

Topic #46295 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I imagine the distinction is not that they are pre- or post-draft, but that they are yet to play as a professional?

Reply #773054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, the press release for the program states they must be eligible for an upcoming draft.

https://nbl.com.au/pages/nbl-next-stars

Reply #773057 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hasnt Didi played pro in Brazil?

Reply #773059 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Didi was already playing pro ball for a few years in Brazil.

It's dodgy but the NBL allowed the Kings to get away with it.

Reply #773060 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

Technically he should be an import.

There's no hard fast rule.

Didi is a next star because the NBA team wanted him to learn English and play ball overseas.

Essentially, if he could fluently speak English, he'd be an import.

Presumably, all teams had a chance to bid for him.

But like with any next star, Sydney is always going to be more attractive than say, Cairns.

Reply #773064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cry me a river

Reply #773066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The more black this league the better

Reply #773067 | Report this post

I dont think breaking rules to potentially win a title is the way to go. They need to cut one of their imports.

Reply #773069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't we see all this at start of season, the rule hasn’t changed since. Keep up to date.

Reply #773072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They need to cut one of their imports."

Uh, no they don't.

Reply #773073 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

"The window of opportunity closes faster than it opens" - homicide.

The Kings have a very small window to capitalise on Bogut, so they are pulling out all the stops/

Reply #773074 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

If it doesn't damage the brand, it's okay appears to be the NBL's attitude to dumping or massaging their own rules. In the last couple of years, there've been a couple of decisions in that vein (e.g., Wesley's non-import status a couple of seasons back,allowing a third import) and this is another.

Seems to be working to both improve the brand and the product on court, thus far.

Reply #773075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is this even a thread.
Technically no rules broken but Didi is only 20 compared to Ennis who was 23 and graduated college if that makes any difference when people bring up Ennis.

Reply #773076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The more black this league the better"

Check Cairns' starting 5 ;)

Reply #773077 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Imagine if the Wildcats did it? be an outcry.

Reply #773081 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

So basically OP is a Bullets fan who only just figured this Didi thing out?

I agree that it's dodgy and it would have been better if the NBL came out with the change in rules first and then teams could all take advantage of it, but it's not pulling a swifty, it's just massaging a few things and trying to big up the Next Stars program while they can...

Reply #773083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not against the rules, but it should never have been a rule in the first place. A second round draft pick stash was already a viable option for an import (like Ennis). TheNext Stars program didn't need to incorporate them as well.

Reply #773088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a bit dodgy and i don't love it, but at the same time i don't mind because it seems like thats going to be the future of the next star program with the NBA and NCAA making changes. In a couple of years the next stats program might be made up of mainly draft and stash guys.

Reply #773091 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LK has made no secret he is keen for Sydney to win a title.

Reply #773092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Lisch is Australian as a vegemite sandwich but different legitimate rule used. And Bogut spent how many years playing in America he is nearly half US.

Reply #773094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings need to roll out this small ball line up at some stage, just for the melts

PG: Taylor
SG: Lisch
SF: Ware
PF: Didi
C: Tate

Reply #773097 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

TBH I am more concerned about the rumours of the money being paid to LaMelo, perhaps acting in concert with this relaxed interpretation of the rule.

The one thing I don't like about LK's NBL is the lack of transparency. They announce one thing, then do another.

Next Stars are supposed to get paid $100k. If Didi is getting paid that, as a drafted but uncontracted player, then no problem.

But you have rumours of Next Stars being paid over 4 times that amount.
If true, I would hate to see a club getting away with paying that to bring in a stashed NBA player "off the books" under the NS program.

I don't think there is a problem with Didi, or any other current Next Star, but once you set the precedent you have to be careful about what somebody does next year.

In a year or two Martin & Wagstaff will retire. With a Naturalised Cotton, and the ability to sign 3 imports, do we really want to see the Cats' bench boosted by a highly paid NBA draftee??

Reply #773105 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Rd 6 and you woken up, welcome to the season!

Reply #773111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather is the most coin in the league if you take Bogut shares out of it.

Reply #773125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Prather is the most coin in the league if you take Bogut shares out of it"

Can we please ban all dipshit Sydney fanbois.
Bogut's Cash deal is over $1M per season, plus merchandising.
Ware's package is $750k per season plus bonuses.
Prather was not on that at his best and in fact signed for considerably less this time around due to his injury concerns.
But sure keep on beating your "Sydney is spending less than Melbourne and Perth" drum.

Reply #773136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What bonuses are in Ware's contract?

Reply #773147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

casper's midget ass is not on 750k

Reply #773152 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Next Stars are supposed to get paid $100k."

I would imagine that's 100K to play basketball, but surely that wouldn't preclude other commercial agreements.

Reply #773153 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

That's dodgy as hell from Sydney. Louzada had 17 points against the 36ers in a game Sydney only just escaped in OT!

I'm all for growing the game, but LK needs to make sure the competition maintains some credibility as well.

Reply #773154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we ban United dip shits on here that don't no jack. We can all post like this.

Prather signed for two seasons is the highest paid player in the league. Lot leaks out Melbourne since the Kennedy storm over pay last season. Girls talk.

United starting five on more than Illawarra whole team.

I always thought I’d post positive but I’ve succumbed to negative against some, might be time to give it a break.

Reply #773156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares the bloke is crap and will not make them better

Reply #773160 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Years ago there was a fuss in england when two premier league teams had only foreigners on the field for a period in a game, now its commonplace.

Thatll happen here soon. Probably not ideal tho.

Reply #773162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about sem they have 5 imports including Stevens plus an injury replacement import. I personally feel it's good for the sport, but the NBL doesn’t need any more imports per team. NZ has a few imports as well, then you look at the hawks who officially only have one, I guess that’s why there on the bottom.

Reply #773168 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree, the press release for the program states they must be eligible for an upcoming draft.
Have you asked the NBL for clarification?

I imagine they'd say it was since adjusted on the fly. Does seem a bit rough to place them with an already strong team.

Reply #773200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Kestleman's League and he doesn't have a Board and he can do what ever the hell he wants.
I have been pointing out the 4 import rule for ages and no one cared.
So be it. The all black starters now exist again. That's cool however the last time I recall that was back in th 80's!

Reply #773205 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

alright listen up anyone could of gotten didi but he chose to go to sydney. lamelo played pro ball in lithuania but because the hawks are last your not talking about that. why would phoenix get armstrong and not play him should of gotten didi but there management is it as good as sydney.

Reply #773276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stephens is NOT an import.
Born in Australia in fact.

Reply #773280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"alright listen up anyone could of gotten didi but he chose to go to sydney. lamelo played pro ball in lithuania but because the hawks are last your not talking about that. why would phoenix get armstrong and not play him should of gotten didi but there management is it as good as sydney."

Wasn't it Sydney who went to the league to ask if they could have Didi classed as a next star?

Reply #773281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Big Trev was having a big cry at the press conference and casually made a comment about the Kings having 4 imports. Sounds like a bully to me who for years have been beating up teams and winning finals and for the first time someone is handing him and his team their lunch. Everything is legal. Kings coach Weaver did an AWESOME job recruiting. More credit should be going to Gaze...I mean Weaver who has shown us what a real coach can do with the talent Sydney has.

Reply #773523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yo dipshit Sydney Fanboi #773156, lets see whose argument holds water:
Ware was offered more than any player in history to re-sign with Melbourne - but he went to Sydney for more money - and you think he's not highly paid?!?
Melbourne had to save money after signing Long to replace Boone. - Had money not been an issue for them, they could have signed anyone. Kennedy, Felix, Patterson, but instead they signed a guy with a crook leg who hadn't played for almost two years. - But you think Prather is the highest paid player in the league.
"United starting five on more than Illawarra whole team" - you say that like it means something. - Bogut alone is probably getting more than "Illawarra whole team"
You should put the bong away and save what braincells you have left.

Reply #773553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey #773156
Methylamphetimine fucks ya brain cells.

Reply #773564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Stephens is NOT an import.
Born in Australia in fact.)

Yeah your right then he lived in Australia for a few months and his family moved back home to America where his lived until now. I think he's great for the league,a solid player and seems like a good guy too. I’m keen to see him improve and one day play for the boomers.

Reply #773572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didi, Hampton or Lamelo could of be at Perth. The wildcats didn't want a next star.

Reply #773603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is this shit coming from that Didi was offered to all clubs? That's completely untrue.

Reply #773611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is true. The league send all the details out to the teams. Teams come back to say who is interested, make there pitch and then the player chooses. Simple.
You are not in the know so don't act like your simple statement of untrue makes it so.

Reply #773626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ You shouldn't talk as though it is fact when you have no clue either.

Reply #773628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"he league send all the details out to the teams. Teams come back to say who is interested, make there pitch and then the player chooses. Simple"

That was last season. They suddenly changed it this season because the Kings had a guy lined up.

Reply #773632 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754