Anonymous
Years ago

The points cap thread.

Seeing Sydney and United spend megabucks, Perth spend big bucks and Illawarra and Cairns spend little bucks.

Made me think how would the NBL go with return of the points cap?

Would be difficult I'd imagine as all 10 point players would be open to bidding wars.

Next stars would be exempt I'd presume.

With the NBL the way it is now will it get boring watching same three teams dominate..

Thoughts..

Topic #46316 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

The points system had its own issues.

Already stacked teams like Eddy Groves' Bullet$ added veterans Bradtke and Copeland using discounted points for loyalty. Problem was that loyalty was to the Tigers yet it rolled over to the Bullets with JvG grinning like a Cheshire cat thinking he was a genius for exploiting such a poorly thought out system. Yuck.

Reply #773574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think its what the league needs right now. IMO it would mean we just lose more guys to europe and stuff, we need to keep the qualityof the league improving. Right now the league just needs to let teams go all out and spend as much as they want on as many good llayers as they want, and then tax them appropriately and distribute funds to smaller spenders.

Reply #773582 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If the worst aspect of the points cap is a loophole that was used once, closed almost immediately, and then not touched for almost a decade, it can't be that bad.

Reply #773589 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That was just one example.

Reply #773591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The original points cap achived what it was meant to achieve. Unfortunately it was manipulated to achieve a result that was never achievble.
It was the answer and still is the answer and achievable.

4 imports is a joke.

Reply #773601 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The current salary cap set-up is effectively a points cap. Players are given a value by the league and a club has a certain amount of value allowed on its roster.

The difference now is it's a soft cap, so teams can exceed the designated value and just contribute dollars to the league.

Reply #773607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What utter rubbish.

The small clubs will never compete with the rich clubs on spending. The NBL has imposed a rule that you must spend the minimum cap, and clearly the disparity (again) in the have's and have not's is the status quo.

Reply #773608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And doesn't that happen in every league in the world? EPL, NBA etc

Reply #773610 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I still think the NBL is one of the most competitive/evenly balanced sports leagues in the world.

Sure teams like the Hawks or Cairns aren't going to win a title - but they will still compete. I remember even that horribly cash-strapped Crocs team in 2016 (And 2015) managed to win 11 games.

And go around the different sports leagues around the world and you'll see even bigger disparities between the haves and the have not's.

It's just a fact of modern day professional sport.

I don't think we have it that bad here - a lot of people like to exaggerate it but you have to put it in perspective;

Reply #773612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Sixer fan it's sad to see our lineup each year and the realisation we’re not gonna challenge for the title. It’s great to see the talent in the League though and I’d keep it this way rather than lose some talent.

Even if United have Prather, Goulding, Long, Tremble who are all studs and wouldn’t come cheap.

Reply #773639 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:29 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754