Anon
Years ago

Who is Andrew Gaze the Coach

Think bit rich for Gaze with his coaching record to bemoan the sixers teams talent. His coaching record very ordinary so not sure how he can claim to know more than Joey about assembling a team. Now if he comparing player talent with player talent as he is the player benchmark. Very different outcome. Gaze the forgettable coach not the unforgettable player. Could be sensitive but over the kicking of the crows when chips are down. Now it's Sixers coping a 4 b 2. Might be eating humble crumble pie. Don't think Sixers are just rolling over. Perth are very beatable on the road. Time the team makes a statement and no better place to start at home v Perth. It's gunna get hot.

Topic #46321 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide aren't a very good team. They are middle of the pack at best. It’s shows. They build teams to save money but just spend enough to bring fans money in.

Gaze may not be a great game night coach, but the kings were decently stacked last season. I’d agree with his opinion if he was being honest about how poor the 6ers roster is.

Reply #773706 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

When Gaze retired as a player, the Tigers won 2 of the next 3 flags.

I think Kings will probably do the same.

Some of his teammates said he was hard to win with even though a great player.

Will Weaver looks a lot more comfortable on the sidelines (dummy spit aside) & with Bogut in the middle he has great imports & aussie rotations. Even Bruce & Walker look legit & confident.

You can never take anything away from the great man but it is what it is...

Reply #773711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I certainly know someone who wasn't going to be back if Gaze was still coaching.

Reply #773714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be Adelaide 26ers.
Not good enough to be 36ers.

Reply #773715 | Report this post

Dj  
Years ago

Good player,but in the top 5 worst coaches to grace the NBL....Stacked team last year....

Reply #773731 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So if joey has worst team and team is still play off contention. I think gaze needs to revisit what he wrote.

Reply #773736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still in playoff contention.. after six rounds.. which technically applies to EVERYONE. Hand him COY already.

Reply #773737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey's team won’t be in playoff contention for much longer. They aren’t good, and it’s simply a case that the season isn’t deep enough in yet for the mathematically possible talk.

Reply #773747 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I have the utmost respect for the 6's. Been around a long time, fielded some great teams and great players, and always managed to stay competitive despite not having the money of other teams.
Always seem to pull decent crowds too, which says a lot for their fans.

They need a bit of luck on their side, and when things come together for them they are impressive. Should have won a couple more rings recently.

Losing Creek and then Sobey hurt them. Local guys you've put years into developing are hard to replace, especially when you don't Have Perth's pulling power to simply go out and hire them from elsewhere.

As for Gaze, I'm no sure why he is in commentary or how he got a gig as a coach. Every time he opens his mouth he displays a distinct lack of intersect.

Reply #773750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous
Yesterday

I certainly know someone who wasn't going to be back if Gaze was still coaching.

You mean the guy who has scored 2 points in his last two games

Reply #773752 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Distinct lack of rule knowledge too

Reply #773753 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[When Gaze retired as a player, the Tigers won 2 of the next 3 flags.]

Perhaps that was something to do with the arrival of a prime Chris Anstey?

Reply #773755 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

On what we've seen to date, it's hard to see the 36ers taking more than 4 wins against the top 4 teams. More likely only 2. That leaves them with at least 12 losses, more likely 14, against top 4 teams.

I expect them to split a couple of the series against the other teams and to drop a game or two against the remaining couple. So around 12-16 to 14-14 record by end of regular season.

I expect each of the current top 4 teams to finish with a winning record. So no playoffs for 36ers on that scenario.

This may change with injuries to key players for any team. That said, Sydney and SEM are both covering injuries to key players and still winning. That's how big the gap is between the top 4 teams and the rest, this season.

Reply #773761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To imply that Gaze leaving the Tigers led to Melbourne winning 2 championships is asinine. Say what you want about his coaching - which was poor no doubt - but the man's playing career was unimpeachable.

Reply #773764 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Perhaps that was something to do with the arrival of a prime Chris Anstey?"

And the Tigers with him, D-Mac and DT turned 180 degrees to focus on defence.

Reply #773765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it was funny that Gaze was talking about "back in my day" on the weekend, when they played 48 minute games on back to back nights, and he sometimes played 45 minutes in those games.

He didn't mention that he got plenty of rest at the defensive end of the court though.

Reply #773771 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[And the Tigers with him, D-Mac and DT turned 180 degrees to focus on defence.]

Yep, one game I'll never forget is the first game of the Westover/Anstey era.

Played Wollongong at The Cage.

Absolutely shut them down. Final score was 103-61 or something like that. And it was the D that was most impressive, switching up different defenses.

That was a statement game.

Lindsay Gaze was a great coach, but the 2004-05 season left a sour taste, sitting Tucker whilst Copes kept getting time. DT and D-Mac also underutilised and the defense suffering as a result.

Reply #773781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

[Perhaps that was something to do with the arrival of a prime Chris Anstey?]

Wow LV, so you're now telling us that prime Chris Anstey is better than Andrew Gaze?

Reply #773788 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I was pointing out that prime Anstey more than cancelled out the loss of a 39 year old Gaze in 2005.

But actually, that's an interesting question.

Prime NBL Anstey - from 2006 - 2009 probably wasn't far behind the 1990's prime Andrew Gaze.

I give the nod to Drewy, but not by a huge margin.

Drewy was the unstoppable, the greatest scorer this country has ever seen. Anstey was elite at both ends, a rim protecting force and an outside shooting, passing big- a man before his time.

Reply #773794 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In other words, totally different players.

If you were sitting there in 1995, and you could pick one NBL player to build a team around, everybody would've said Gaze. Likewise Anstey in 2005 when he re-joined the league.

Prime Gaze won 7 MVP's in 8 years, Anstey won 2 in 4. Both absolute top shelf legends of the NBL.

Reply #773797 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

2 in 3* for Anstey actually, but I'm sure in 2007 and 2009 (His non MVP years) he came very close.

Reply #773798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure McPeake paid for the top shelf, and the rest of Anstey's kitchen renovations too.

Reply #773804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was gazes father who cost them winning 5 or more titles. Domestic junior coach at best lindsay

Reply #773810 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

We've had this discussion on this forum before, but key points are:

- Perth Wildcats were a great team with great players in the 90's

- Goorj is the GOAT coach and had a talented, well prepared team every year

- You had other teams popping up here and there eg: North Melb with Jent, D-Mac, Maley and Reidy

- Gaze had no help whatsoever until about 1992

- Gaze missed a year overseas, Bradtke missed another year. So even in the 1990's, the Tigers had years where it would've been very tough

2 titles from 4 GF's for Lindsay and Andrew was a good achievement. I don't buy this idea that if they had some other coach, they would've won it every year....unless perhaps, that coach was named Brian Goorjian.

Reply #773829 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Off topic. It's a bout gaze commenting about 6ers lack of talent. He had talent and did nothing with the talent. Suxers got no talent according to gaze yet can argue joey is doing something with them. 6ers talent is just fine. Others are using extra ordiblnary resources.

Reply #773838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we please stop this bullshit argument that the 36ers don't spend money. They do, and whilst not at the top of the tree spend wise, would certainly be top 5.
Hardly a 'budget' team.

Reply #773843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is the best commentator in the league, he's paid to comment, he did and you either agree or disagree. I don’t see a new topic put up every time another commentator says something not agreed with.
His coaching career was probably not his shining light but he was a player of his times and best ever at that time with records that will remain for years.

Reply #773846 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure McPeake paid for the top shelf, and the rest of Anstey's kitchen renovations too.

This brings back memories. Nice.

Reply #773852 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Absolute buffoon as a coach. The main thing I remember about his reign was when that Chinese stiff wrongly thought he was meant to go into the game and Gazey threw a tantrum

Reply #773869 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754