Curtley
Years ago

Next Stars Going Forward

In a perfect world the next stars would be drafted based on where teams finish, especially if as suggested the league pays for them.

Based on that this season:
- Cairns would've chosen Ball/Hampton,
- Hawks same,
- NZ Didi and
- Adelaide wouldve probably got Terry Armstrong.

If there were more next stars then just continue this process to number 1 or even have a lottery.

Thereafter I think teams should be able to pick available Aussie guys from college so Brisbane would've had first pick (Kouat Noi), then Sydney etc etc.

There needs to be some form of equity and we don't want the points cap back. We do want big teams to be able to pay silly money for players if they can afford it. The evolution of the NCAA rules has the potential to derail the interest in the Next Stars program.

Feel free to rubbish this if in fact the Next Stars aren't paid for the NBL as is mostly reported.

Topic #46326 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your ideas have merit Curtley. For the team that finished third last season to be able to get the MVP runner-up plus another three imports (one gifted to them by the league) is ridiculous.

Reply #773959 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

For the Next Stars I agree completely, however I'd like more transparency in any case - especially if teams elect not to take on a Next Star. There have been multiple rumours about that this season with Ball in particular with multiple teams apparently turning him down (according to anon posters here, at least).

On the flip side, I'm sure some Next Stars would heavily prefer certain teams over others for any number of reasons - location/playing time guarantees/import selection/etc - so I don't know how you'd tackle that.

I like the returning college player idea also, but also not sure how it would work in practice. If Cairns have a budget of $60k for a player and Melbourne are willing to pay $100k for that same player, what happens then? I can see guys being forced overseas to earn what they are actually worth, versus the artificial limits imposed through this system.

Reply #773966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe that Campbell and Flint flew to US to meet Ball at the suggestion of the league due to most other clubs turning Ball down due to the hype and all that follows the Ball family. Once meeting the Balls they found out he was a level head good young bloke and went ahead with it. He's been a great asset to hawks, in fact all the new stars have been great.

Reply #773967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're wrong anon. Flinn had never met Ball before he flew out to Australia. Only had a phone convo with him.

Reply #773973 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I would like to see set 100k contracts for this purpose.

Both next stars and Australian rookies (not including returning college players) can register to go into the draft and then teams pick in reverse order for the right to sign.

Reply #773974 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

There's not enough money in it to force Aussie rookies to play for a certain team. Would be different if these guys were earning hundreds of thousands of dollars. Then I think they wouldn't mind being forced to move interstate if required to play.

Reply #773977 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

if they have followers they'll get a gig regardless of if they can play!

Reply #773982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Really?

Reply #773983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if they have followers they'll get a gig regardless of if they can play!"

ok boomer

Reply #773984 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Before Taipans-Hawks last round there was an article published by the Cairns Post/News Corp about how Cairns were close to signing LaMelo. It's behind a paywall so I couldn't read the finer details - it may shed further light on the process of Next Stars and how clubs bid for players?

Reply #774001 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Mike Kelly in an interview on local tv said they had some talks with his people but didn't hear back. He also said the Taipans were aware Illawarra were in talks with Ball as well. The Taipans asked questions such as what Ball was wanting (amount of court time, etc.) and the impression I got from the article is that Illawarra asked less questions and were keen to have him, no matter what.

Reply #774007 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

So how do the restraint of trade provisions in the Trade Practices Act (TPA) come into this sort of discussion? My limited understanding is that these sorts of drafts can be acceptable under that Act if there's a legitimate interest in need of protection; the restraint is reasonable (to protect that interest); and the restraint is not against the public interest.

Maintaining evenness of the competition and viability of the league could be viewed as legitimate interests for this sort of draft. They're cited in online comments about the AFL draft and restraints of trade.

It would probably depend then on whether the interests of the players would be adequately catered for in the draft arrangements. e.g., limit draft contracts to 1 or 2 years, after which players can change teams freely.

Reply #774008 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

What about limiting the amounts you can pay a NS player to say $350k (and the NBL still contributes the $100k).

That means teams are only $250k out of pocket for the NS player - which gives more competition for teams to compete for the NS player and its not just the team with the fattest cheque-book.

I know we may lose some NS coming here with the limit; but $350k AUD is still a decent wad of cash versus earning zilch in college

And frankly my view on it is that if teams have to pay more than $350k anyway for a NS player, then were better not having them in our league because I don't think thats sustainable frankly.

Reply #774023 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Looking at the 2021 NBA Draft prospects, sadly most of them have already committed to Colleges.

Jalen Green intends to choose a college soon.

So I can't see many at all that would come to the NBL

Reply #774030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^What about kids that aren't eligible for college like LaMelo or Bowen?
I’d say NBL teams will be looking for draft and stash players next season.

Reply #774037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't be surprised if some de-commit if Ball and Hampton get drafted towards the top of the first round

Reply #774040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is some proof next stars works

Shout out to #NBL19
@SydneyKings
Next Star Brian Bowen II (@tugs_) on making his #NBA debut + his first bucket

Reply #774043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is that proof?

Reply #774044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next stars would want to hand pick team that would cater to their needs, otherwise the top players wouldn't come. Same with returning college players, playing at home would be a factor, as would joining a stable franchise. Not to mention coach and if they would get limited minutes behind established starter or a chance to play major minutes. At the moment the Nbl isn't in a position to equalise the league in terms of a draft. There's too many options. Reason American drafts work is they are pinnacle both in terms of talent and money. AFL works because there is no other leagues with same money.
To attract these players you need a culture, good playing style and coach. Players like Hampton will be earning millions in a year, six figures is just pocket money till they get to nba. College players will be looking at nba 1st then Europe if they are good enough. Tell them they have to play at Cairns they might go yeah, nah thanks.

Reply #774045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(How is that proof?)

Before he came to the NBL no one wanted to know him in America because of his dad.
Now after playing as a NBL next star he has improved his game and was picked up by an NBA team, and now playing and scoring on that very team.
It very much looks like the NBL and the next star program helped him achieve his dreams what he does from here is up to him.
Nice work Brian Bowen

Reply #774048 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The one downside of league undergoing such a dynamic transformation is that the rules keep moving from what is originally announced.
So I don;t know how much these guy are getting paid, or how much the league is paying. The original number was $100k.

I guess the reality quickly became apparent, that if you want a Lamelo or Hampton, that's not going to work.
If you're looking at an NBA payday next season all but guaranteed, turning pro one year early for $100k is not that attractive.

And no, a draft is unlikely to work as such.
Some limitations are acceptable as part of the agreement (or "contract") with teams. A team agreeing to participate in a certain processes, or abide by certain "rules" is generally not restraint of trade.
But the problem comes in when you try to force an individual player to comply. The courts long ago ruled the NRL draft illegal.
The AFL Draft is their Achilles heal. Nobody has challenged it, yet.
IF the players agreed as part of their contract with the NBL, to be placed at their discretion, then that would be fine. However can you really see any top players agreeing to that?

Reply #774055 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Isn't it only going to be a thing for 1-2 more season?
Once the NBA changes the age limit for the draft I can’t see it being around.

Reply #774081 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Before he came to the NBL no one wanted to know him in America because of his dad.
Now after playing as a NBL next star he has improved his game and was picked up by an NBA team, and now playing and scoring on that very team.
It very much looks like the NBL and the next star program helped him achieve his dreams what he does from here is up to him.
Nice work Brian Bowen "

Wasn't he considered a likely bubble first rounder before coming to the NBL and ended up going undrafted after? Well done Next Stars.

Next Stars was never going to be anything other than niche. Thinking that there was going to be 18 year old phenoms from the US knocking down the doors of NBL teams is pure fantasy.

Of the 5 guys that have been through the program, only 2 fit the original description of who the program was intended for - kids choosing to skip their one year of college to play pro. One was a guy who played college but got booted, another a guy who wasn't eligible for college as he'd already played pro, and one who's already been drafted, after the retro actively changed the rules.

Only Armstrong and Hampton fit that original description and one isn't close to good enough to play. What a success!

The league might be able to attract some more guys over the coming years that fall foul of the NCAA rules and lose eligibility, but that will never be anything other than ad-hoc.

Reply #774107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Wasn't he considered a likely bubble first rounder before coming to the NBL and ended up going undrafted after? Well done Next Stars.)

When was this before or after his dad destroyed his college career?

The NBL gave him the chance to be where he is now.

Everyone wants the NBL to be better than what it was, but a lot of people on here don't like change. Very closed minded.
The problem with closed minded people, is their mouth is always open.

Reply #774111 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I don't see how turning the NBL into G-League south helps it get better

Reply #774120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There needs to be a balance between attracting a higher quality import, but also developing/nurturing/retaining talent so that local fans have got players to relate to. If they get that balance right then it goes a long way to make the clubs profitable and sustainable.

The Wildcats retained their core for the best part of a decade, won titles, membership is increasing, fans love their team. Breakers are/were in a similar boat too. The Kings are about to make the same mistake they did last time they were successful, when they won three titles in three years, with only one player on the team for all three. Fans didn't give a shit about the team and stopped attending.

Reply #774122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings top seven all signed two year contracts plus Hunter three years, I'd say that’s building some thing and that’s not counting Didi.

Reply #774132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can they afford to keep paying those salaries for two years if they don't get the crowds in?

Reply #774135 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754