Anonymous
Years ago

Breakers CEO fined and suspended.

https://nbl.com.au/news/breakers-ceo-suspended-for-breach-of-nbl-code-of-conduct

Topic #46327 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

$5,000 is a fair whack, given the slap on the wrist afforded Weaver recently...

Reply #774016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd guess that whatever Walsh said/did was far worse than Weaver's theatrics.

Reply #774017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this guy simply dumb? What was he trying to achive?

Reply #774020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Completely deserved in my opinion.
He acted like an absolute moron when he marched around to have a bark at Loeliger in front of the crowd.
That's the sort of conversation you have off line away from the fans

Reply #774021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Breakers are going to be a thorn in the side of the league for a while now but when you lay down with dogs, you get fleas.

Reply #774022 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Loeliger signing off on Wellington's entry into the NBL as we speak.

Reply #774024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shocking calls from refs..

Walsh invests millions on team only to have flopping rewarded. Embarrassingly next star is punished on world tv.

And the refs did a tv review of it.

This is unacceptable as owners rightly demand culpability that you do when you spend millions.

Reply #774026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would Walsh have to say to Loeliger? I don't understand.

Reply #774029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was screaming at him right in front of fans... doesn't really matter what he said

Reply #774031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The leagues press release sounds tough (for once).

Why was Walsh having a go at Loeliger, anyway? He didn't make the calls on the court.

Reply #774032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what I meant, why yell at Loeliger lol?

Reply #774033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not responsible for the referees either.

As someone said above, surely a call on Monday morning expressing his concerns, including with how f’ng bad the reffing can be at times in this league, may have at least got Loeliger’s sympathies. All this has done is probably created more enemies for a guy that’s fast running out of friends.

Reply #774035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was his heated conversation in the minutes after Hampton was ejected? If so, he's an absolute idiot.

Reply #774036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. Was seconds after wasn't it?

Reply #774038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, straight after the announced the unsportsmanlike fouls and Hampton was ejected, Walsh stomped around immediately and went off

Reply #774039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh seems like a bit of a twat? I don't follow the breakers too closely but he always seems to have his name brought up, usually in a negative way?

Reply #774047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Walsh seems like a bit of a twat? " Twats are useful ;)

Reply #774049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oluc has video footage on Twitter. Doesn't look that bad. Certainly not screaming at him.

Give me a break. Weaver can go completely mental over very little.

Welsh has a conversation in front of fans, after being completely reemed on a call.

Not right

Reply #774059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have the link to the video?

Reply #774061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/1194571335772409856?s=19

Video of the incident

Reply #774066 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Weaver's incident was seen by everyone, and it looked 100 times worse (based purely on that Olgun Oluc vid)

So why is Walsh getting pinged 10 times as much?

THE LEAGUE WANTS SYDNEY TO WIN A TITLE SO THEY GO EASY ON WEAVER!!! CONSPIRACY!

Reply #774073 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Probably not the time or place for an animated conversation, appearances are everything these days. Also maybe it was because he is wearing a cap inside..

Reply #774077 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The CEO seeking out the Commissioner is an entirely different thing from a coach arguing with refs.

Reply #774082 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

What he did was way out of line. Loeliger had nothing to do with the situation. He doesn't have telepathy with the referees and he may not have even agreed with the call. But to go over and "have words" with him about it, in some sort of standover man manner, is inexcusable. There is a professional way to handle yourself and that's not it.

We can also agree that what Weaver did was pretty ridiculous, but there was a bit of "hold me back, hold me back" then "Okay NOW I'm ready to fight!" with his little performance. Plus his grievances were justifiably with the referees and referees can expect to cop a bit of a grilling from time to time. Matt Walsh took his grilling and threw it at someone who was basically an innocent bystander. Completely different thing there. He clearly doesn't understand that Loeliger is above him in the pecking order. They're not equals. There is a way you interact and approach a CEO of a league that is different to how you'd speak to your own players, coaches and referees. Loeliger is above the happenings on the court and Walsh is actually meant to be a little bit also.

Reply #774085 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Also maybe it was because he is wearing a cap inside..

This. Plus he's an owner who dresses like he's 18.

Reply #774088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cap is a pretty cringe look. This video looks like a father having an argument with his son at half time, because dad won't let him go to the movies after the game with his mates he’s bumped into.

Reply #774089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay see the difference is that Weaver screamed abuse at the refs - and because all the miscreants in here love nothing better that to cry about the refs all day - that is acceptable behaviour.
But Walsh interupted JL while he was having phone sex with his boss - so that is unacceptable.

Reply #774092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there's more to this fine than just what happened. I can’t help but think this is the league saying to Walsh, you’re regularly out of line, calm down, and stop it.

Reply #774093 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Stupid comment 902

Reply #774099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with 093.

Reply #774102 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

lol ok, so we've got at least 1 Kiwi anon then...

There's probably a lot of contributing factors to this, but tracking JL down and going after him is not the right behaviour from an owner...

Reply #774104 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

#093 is the most logical explanation

Otherwise, what's their angle? They can't say he's "bringing the league into disrepute" or anything cos no one outside the stadium saw it did they? It wasn't broadcast on TV, so...

Reply #774105 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think any owner coach or player can go to the commissioner heated, regardless of who sees it. It's not for the commissioner to take it or to have to calm someone down.

If a person has been straddling the line, then it's not unfair to consider that in the punishment either.

We've seen Wright punished more on track record than on pure statements before.

Reply #774112 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The fact is the CEO of the league doesn't have to answer for what the referees called on any particular play. And from the video it does look like it gets reasonably heated.

Reply #774115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they bring in Wellington saints, he might just explode.
He probably thought he had all of nz.

Reply #774126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh is an absolute dickhead. That culture is toxic, and it starts with him.

Reply #774129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be good if the code of conduct was publicly available so we could see which part was breached and what the severity was.

Reply #774130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't no Walsh from a bar of soap, but if he’s spending his money I’d say he has a right to do it his way. I personally think it’s a harsh penalty.

Reply #774133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"but if he's spending his money I’d say he has a right to do it his way."

Um no.

Reply #774134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been supportive of Walsh and really want to see him succeed. I honestly believe that some of the things that the Breakers are doing is positive and the brave steps they’ve taken to change things weren’t easy. But this behaviour makes me think how the hell does he treat his own employees behind closed doors if this is how he behaves in public with the league commissioner?

Reply #774139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh to appeal: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/basketball/breakers-boss-matt-walsh-appeal-ban-fine-hopes-nz-vs-australia-feeling-galvanises-team

Interesting point he raises that he wasn't upset so much with RJ’s ejection, but the fact that no one from SEM was ejected.

Reply #774144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone make a list of everything thats happened to nz since start of season.

Reply #774146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Interesting point he raises that he wasn't upset so much with RJ's ejection, but the fact that no one from SEM was ejected"

Because no one from SEM picked up a tech AND an USF in the same play.

Reply #774150 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, that's not a very interesting point. I personally thought the calls were harsh, but I don't see how any reasonable person could expect that a single SEM player deserved an ejection.

NZ's season - what am I missing?

* Make head coach position redundant and hire a head coach with a laughably different job title.
* Replace import C before he's set foot in NZ (was that this season - am I mixing up what happened with Long last season?)
* Assistant coach quits.
* Refuse release/buy-out of Webster.
* GM quits, replace with guy who was originally a towel boy and before that someone who phoned up members to encourage them to renew their memberships, with no GM experience, after the roster has been finalised.
* Hired replacement import with a history full of red flags, including being kicked off the coach's previous team for punching a team-mate in the face.
* CEO fined for abusing Loeliger.

Reply #774154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen flop was of epic proportions.

Reply #774156 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Webster and Hampton have both offered to pay the fine for Walsh.

Reply #774159 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Webster and Hampton have both offered to pay the fine for Walsh."

Can't be that bad if your players come to bat for you.

Reply #774165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NZ's season - what am I missing?"

- Pic circulating of Walsh flipping the bird to a camera at a game with the Kings owner (another quality individual).
- Carmelo Anthony rumours leaking which had to be flushed out on a group chat.
- Telling a journo "I don't care that you're talking about us, as long as you're fucking talking about us"
- Questionable credentials of the "coach"
- The NZ media has completely turned off them.

Reply #774169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Can't be that bad if your players come to bat for you.“

Maybe Walsh has done this all deliberately to fire up their team and galvanise some team spirit? There's stories today that maybe the Breakers get hard done by being in an Aussie league (this is a recurring theme in NZ with all teams that participate in an Australian league). Maybe he’s trying to create a them-us mentality and get the team working harder.

Or maybe I’m giving the guy to much credit and he’s just a loose cannon.

Reply #774172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Fitchett explains decision to quit the New Zealand Breakers before start of ANBL season: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/basketball/news/article.cfm?c_id=21&objectid=12285170

Doesn't say much about Walsh, seems that Shamir was the issue for him.

Reply #774173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shamir has handled himself pretty well imo, his assistant is bonkers and Walsh seems to be struggling running the club.
All in all, I think they will storm back and maybe win the title. Delaney is back, rice will stay imo and hopson should be back sooner than expected. Henry will get booted and Loe coming back also a boost in the coming weeks.

Lose the next and win 5-6 in a row.

Reply #774174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm tipping Nz for the championship as well.

Reply #774175 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The best part about the Breakers situation is it's so utterly chaotic that when a journo went to Rick Pitino for a quote about Shamir - Shamir having claimed to work with Pitino - and Pitino responded "who? Never heard of him," it flew completely under the radar.

Angus also missed Brandon Ashley playing a game in CJ Bruton's retired #23 and the Breakers response to fan outrage essentially being "oh, yeah, good point lol."

Reply #774177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sidenote.
Greece coach got the flick and they hired rick pitino.

Reply #774178 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Angus also forgot to mention this season the Breakers hired an asylum escapee as their lead assistant coach.

Reply #774180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of curiosity, what's the worst record a team has had at the midpoint of a season and turned that around to go on and win the championship?

Reply #774192 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That's an easy one - 1997 Melbourne Tigers started 4-9.

Reply #774196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of people bringing up irrelevant comment about not much to do with the CEO fine.

Reply #774199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's relevant to the discussion of why the Breakers are such a mess off the court.

Reply #774201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it is.

But not relevant to the ridiculous punishment handed down - that doesn't fit the crime. Or that SEM players were not ejected. Or the fact that the NZ breakers have ever since loeliger been statistically given an unfair treatment from the refs.

Reply #774230 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

97 Tigers started 3-9

Wiki says 4-9 but it was 3-9.

I'm not counting NZ out just yet. So many close losses against the best teams says they're not far off the mark.

Reply #774231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What should any SEM player have been ejected for? Do you know why Hampton was ejected?

Reply #774232 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

If Walsh plays up again, does the NBL have a policy which allows them to penalise owners even to the point of suspending the Breakers licence, such as a '3 strikes' rule?

Reply #775436 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754