Anonymous
Years ago

Why doesn't Adelaide have a Next Star?

Serious Question, and one I think Sixer's fans should be asking.

Ok, so most teams don't have one, and I'm not singling out Adelaide for criticism.

But Joey could almost claim to have pioneered the concept with Ferguson. And with his contacts, I'd have thought it would be right up his alley?

Is it a money thing? It's not really clear when the league is paying 100% of the costs for Ball, Hampton, and Didi. But either or, Adelaide fans should be asking "why not us?".
If the league is indeed paying the full whack, then other teams have a right to be asking "where's ours?"
(And not, they have a right to complain that its unfair.)

Now obvious in any year there is a limited number of high calibre players available, but even somebody the next step down would be good.

And if a stashed Draftee is allowable, then surely there's a case to be made for guys that went undrafted?

Topic #46339 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

With SEM joining the league it has diluted the Australian talent available. Im not a fan of Adelaide but I would want them to have a Next Star to improve their game play, excitement etc which is important for their efforts in the new stadium and getting crowds along.

NBL has mishanlded the whole program, works fine to give Next Star to bottom tier team. To give a Didi to Sydney is not correct. Adelaide lacks depth , mediocre imporants other than Randle. They should have a next star.

Reply #774531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league does not pay the full whack. They pay $150k, and then teams can "top up" on top of that, outside the cap. Both Ball, Hampton and Didi are on a lot more than $150k. Not sure about Armstrong. Considering Adelaide are cheap and like to low ball everything, and then screw relationships by demanding what they are not entitled to, perhaps it is outside their operating scope?

Reply #774536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Where did you get this info?

Reply #774537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could players not have wanted to go there because of the way they handled Creeks contract release?

Reply #774538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide are not cheap. Can people please stop believing this coach generated bullshit. They are just behind the biggest spenders. The fact they can't spend their money properly doesn’t mean they don’t have any. Whilst the roster may look budget, it isn’t. Nobody of any caliber wants to play for Adelaide currently. Wonder why that is?????

Reply #774541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide are not cheap. Can people please stop believing this coach generated bullshit. They are just behind the biggest spenders. The fact they can't spend their money properly doesn’t mean they don’t have any. Whilst the roster may look budget, it isn’t. Nobody of any caliber wants to play for Adelaide currently. Wonder why that is?????

Reply #774546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the NBL introduced melo and RJ it was hinted that 2 or 3 more next stars where possibly coming this year. What happened to them ? and who where thay?
Adelaide might have been interested in them at the time.

Reply #774547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um... Didi and Armstrong are two more, right? Unless I cannot count.

Reply #774549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three things are certain in life; death, taxes and good ole' Adelaide trying to extort something from someone.

Reply #774550 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

I believe Joey is friends with Hamptons father and organised RJ to come to Adelade but the NBL said that he had to go to NZ

Reply #774556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annon you are completely off-base. There is a relationship, and Hampton DID meet with teams other than NZ, including Melbourne United (Vickermann confirmed), but Hampton and his family felt that NZ was best for his situation. Joey has spoken on the topic.

I know for a fact that Adelaide also made a play for young Victorian Josh Giddey, as did two other clubs, the same way that two clubs made a play for Tamuri Wigness as part of the next stars.

Reply #774558 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'Adelaide are not cheap. Can people please stop believing this coach generated bullshit. They are just behind the biggest spenders. The fact they can't spend their money properly doesn't mean they don’t have any. Whilst the roster may look budget, it isn’t. Nobody of any caliber wants to play for Adelaide currently. Wonder why that is?????’

Actually, Adelaide are on a very tight budget, yes they spend to nearly the cap, THE MINIMUM CAP...
Nothing to be compared to the Sydney and Melbourne of this league. The 36ers are very limited in what the can offer after the top 2-3 players.

I can give them credit attempting to put together a competitive team, but with the losses of the Creeks and Sobey’s types it is impossible to replace these players. Replacing these players with players like 33 year old Dillion etc... for two years sums up the financial position and the overall standing of the 36ers in the eyes of other players.

Reply #774559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have too many slow unathletic whitr guys on there roster. Would of benefited getting a young athletic next star. I put it down to management being incompetent once again. Good thing they cut deshon taylor though, he flat out sucks.

Reply #774568 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

A.....if ADL are spending close to the floor, isn't that an example of 'cheap'?

Cheap or not this team is better than this. 4 losses in a row is unacceptable. Last night's game was winnable despite any roster price imbalances.

You would think a Wildcats team with a struggling Cotton would be vulnerable in Adelaide....but no, trust the Sixers to make Dario Hunt look All NBL.

Credit to Perth nonetheless. They made the right plays at the right times. Damo with some terrific defence down the stretch.

Joey can say he is no slave to talent all he wants, but this team is really missing a Sobey.

Reply #774574 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

My first guess when seeing "Why doesn't Adelaide hav.." show up in the right-hand side Recent Posts menu was EFTPOS.

Reply #774576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Um... Didi and Armstrong are two more, right? Unless I cannot count.)

Besides them

Reply #774614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because a next star being punched in the face by Joey would not be good for the NBL!

Reply #774627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Short Answer is "Because theyre not Sydney"
I don't know what's wrong with people in Sydney but since the league was started the NBL has seen getting Sydney crows as the number one priority. - When the deal was done for new ownership in to invest in the Kings clearly deals were done and certain promises were made. - No coincidence that the revised marquee rules were tailor-made for Sydney's new squad.
When Gaze managed to completely fuck that up - clearly more deals were done to bring in Bogut - including promising him a bunch of personal awards - and it still wasn't enough.
No coincidence that Sydney was the only team to get a Next Star last year - and this year had the rules completely thrown out the window. - No stone will be left unturned until the league gets the Sydney v Melbourne Rivalry and Grand Finals and Sydney Dynasty they so desperately crave. - Might as well just give them the trophy now. - God help us if they fuck up again - God knows what concessions they will get next year. - Probably some kind of Veterans Concession That Bogut, Kickert, Newley and Lisch will all automatically qualify for.
Adelaide fall into an uncomfortable gap. - They are successful and well-supported enough that the NBL doesn't need to worry about them folding - but at the same time not important enough for the NBL to help.
There was also the furore of trying to hold Creek to his contract. - That embarrassed Larry and the NBL on the world stage - and Adelaide will be paying for that for some time to come. - Lets not forget who ultimately handed over the suitcase of cash to lure Sobey away from the 6's.

Reply #774769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The crows play out of Adelaide, got nothing to do with Sydney. The rest of your dribble is a fairy tale.

Reply #774780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#769 I know there ain't much to do in adelaide but please get off the meth mate.

Reply #774781 | Report this post

Krazy  
Years ago

The people who run Adelaide couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. The owner doesn’t want to spend his money and the front office staff are far from perfect.

Reply #775215 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754