Anonymous
Years ago

Hesitation dribble/carry

It's getting a little ridiculous isn't it? It puts the defender at a massive disadvantage. In the junior leagues, some players are palming the ball from the bottom of the ball, while being closely guarded and don't get called.

While others who diligently dribble legally get called for stuff that is way less advantageous like dragging the pivot foot 3cm.

I can understand not calling it at half court walking the ball up, but some of the hesitation dribbles while guarded are unbelievable.

Topic #46346 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh. This was meant to call out that it happens at professional levels. Not just juniors.

Reply #774708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure there isn't any carry rule.

Reply #774755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Double dribble might be the technical violation. Carry makes it clear what is meant. Point remains.

Reply #774756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just checked the fiba rule pdf. There's a specific official signal listed for
ILLEGAL DRIBBLE:
CARRYING THE BALL

Reply #774757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Lies

Reply #774759 | Report this post

Racistbadger  
Years ago

I doubt juniors can palm the ball while dribbling that easily, especially the younger age groups. You can control the ball well enough to give an illusion to some of a "carry" but it's just good handles bro

Reply #774760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'My kid has no handles, therefore no one else should have any'

Reply #774761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But he does play great defense, in my opinion"

Reply #774766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.fiba.basketball/documents/official-basketball-rules.pdf

Page 64, marked as page 63.

Reply #774767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Compare these two images from the game today.

https://ibb.co/FYn5y9Z
https://ibb.co/7Ks3HK3

Gibson has the ball at rest with his hand under it. One of many instances.

Trimble keeps his hand to the side.

One is legal as per the rules. The other is a violation.

Reply #774768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Racistbadger, I'm not the OP, but agree with some of their point. There are good handles, and then there are 12-year-olds whose whole hand goes under the ball. Not talking about palming it from on top, but literally holding their hand under the ball before continuing the dribble.

I disagree with the OP regarding "way less advantageous" violations that get called. The example given re: dragging the pivot foot significantly reduces the impetus for the offensive player to come to a proper stop, which would enable more aggressive drives, much as a carry enables a more effective hesitation dribble. On a post move, even small pivot foot movements can make a big difference to the pace, angles, and distance and make defensive coverage much harder.

Officiating at junior levels is hard. They are working with 1 less ref than elite juniors and seniors, and have vastly less experience. And they're officiating players who realistically commit a higher number of violations, so if they blew the whistle every time it happened, games would take forever. Junior refs don't really have the ability to guess at the extent of the advantage gained by a particular violation, most are doing well if they can identify it and make a call in real time. A player who carries the ball consistently will get found out eventually. In fact, many will struggle to progress because State-level coaches will look at their skill-set and decide it won't translate to higher levels. So ultimately, who cares?

Reply #774789 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754