Anonymous
Years ago

Breakers imploding

Tom Vodanovic was met by Police at Auckland airport after being drunk (and assuming disorderly) on the flight back from Perth.

Topic #46357 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You gotta be shitting me......

Reply #775165 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I wonder how him and Rob Loe get along.

Reply #775166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wheels.......off

Reply #775167 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Saw this guy taking free throws at the end of the game, noticed he had a gut and was wondering how he was on an NBL roster. Now we know where the gut has come from. #nolongerwarriors

Reply #775168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh how the great and mighty breakers have fallen so bad. 4 out of 5 chips and 5 out of 6 grandies between 2011 and 2016... and now this disaster of a season. The blackwells must be rolling in their post-ownership graves

Reply #775172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it normal for players to drink to excess on flights? I would have thought a teammate or staffer would've put a stop to it before it got to the point where police would be called. Seems insane

Reply #775180 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Was he sitting next to Rice?

Reply #775183 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Jeezus.

Reply #775184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh, wearing his cap will be on radio shortly to discuss with Casey frank.

Reply #775185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hampton should get out now

Reply #775186 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Minor incident, no charges laid, who cares?

Reply #775188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodanovic is a great kid. He's a bit of a joker at times, but this is the team culture dragging down an impressionable rookie. He should have been pulled into line by a senior player or staff. In the same way, someone should have been keeping Rice locked down, focused and disciplined. But I guess all of those guys - the Mika Vukonas and Dillon Bouchers - that set the tone and culture, they're all gone now.

Reply #775189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it normal for players to drink to excess on flights? I would have thought a teammate or staffer would've put a stop to it before it got to the point where police would be called. Seems insane

Yes its normal, they play hard on and off the caught.
This is nothing.
Just that alot more social media, they get exposed.

If their was camera in the 80s and 90s god help us all.

Reply #775190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the caught"

Seriously?

No, drinking to excess is not normal for a professional athlete. It may have happened in the 80's but that era is not the benchmark for professionalism.

Reply #775191 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

They were on a red eye flight home from Perth, most of the players and staff were asleep.
Vodanovich took a sleeping pill and had a couple of drinks and it affected him adversely.
He was spoken to by police upon landing and no charges have been laid.
Walsh has said he faces internal punishment from the club but it was out of character so they will be standing by him.

Reply #775192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ohh we check spelling on here, i forgot... yawn

Reply #775194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They were on a red eye flight home from Perth,"

Flight left before 7pm local time, not what I'd call the red eye.

Reply #775195 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If Matt Walsh had been there to provide some strong leadership, this might not have happened

Reply #775197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yourn*

Reply #775198 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

LV made a funny!

Reply #775199 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cos Walsh is great at remaining calm and even minded in a crisis.

Reply #775200 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He should have been pulled into line by a senior player or staff.

Like who Webster? lol The assistant coach that should be in a straitjacket? Shamir? He strikes me as the kind of guy who would spend the duration of the flight hiding in the toilet.

Abercrombie's the only adult on the team and he's too busy keeping his head down signing all the contracts Matt Walsh continually shoves in his face.

Reply #775202 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Offer Vukona a development coach role for next season. Leadership is lacking. Abercrombie might be too mild mannered to deal with all of this

Reply #775204 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Walsh fibbing again to make situation look better?

The whole sleeping pill angle sounds ridicolous.

Can someone enlighten me as to whether this is possible e.g have 2 drinks and a sleeping pill and apparently not remember anything and act up (he must have had to act pretty bad for the police to be called)

Sounds like another cover.

This is even worse that it basically happened around staff and players. Talk about unprofessional.

Reply #775205 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Sleeping pills and booze can definitely be a bad combo (probably take more than a couple of drinks). It's also an often-used excuse however. Don't know anything about Vodanovic or his history but the timing is atrocious if nothing else.

Reply #775208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's definitely plausible, MACDUB. Just google "sedative alcohol interaction".

Walsh's reputation wouldn't put fabricating this story beyond the realm of possibility, but I'll believe it on face value.

Reply #775210 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

The fact he's drinking multiple drinks on a red-eye flight says quite a lot.

We're missing strong, veteran leadership that will keep the team accountable. Abercrombie's mild-mannered but don't know how he'd keep the team accountable (compared to Boucher, Henare, Vukona, CJ).

If Hampton survives the year with all this, there won't be many worse off-court situations in the NBA, surely..

Reply #775212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monday's meetings are now for etiquette.

Reply #775214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word starting to surface that his drink may have been spiked. No idea how that could even be plausible.

Reply #775217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This starts with the coach he has clearly lost the team

Reply #775219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What an embarrassment. Walhs is a twit, wonder what Shawn Marion is thinking?

Reply #775222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he took a valium and then had a few drinks, the effects of the alcohol at that level come on pretty quickly. But there still should be rules in place to stop that happening.

Reply #775223 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Always suspected Walsh would be a bad owner. #spideysense

Reply #775246 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hmmm

Whilst obviously the timing is horrendous, and I'm happy to believe the worst...
I should point out that a (very small) minority of airline staff can be incredibly precious.

I generally get along famously with the cabin crew, and find that as long as you keep smiling things ok. I've had a couple of flights where I was barely able to walk, but never had a problem.
But on one flight (out of several hundred) I got reported for saying "oh for fuck's sake."

Now in their defence, I am a big bloke, and Vodanovich is a giant compared to most, so you can understand why they are anxious to nip any misbehaviour in the bud

Reply #775264 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Maybe took some gummies?

Reply #775270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 raises a fair point. Was it Qantas? Maybe it was the same lady that served will.i.am

Some other impertinent questions:

- Why was he taking sleeping pills?
- Should he have been drinking alcohol?

Reply #775275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly didn't know who he was until yesterday when i was wondering who the fat bloke on the court with 4 fouls and no points or rebounds at the time was.

Reply #775277 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It was an Air NZ flight.

Reply #775281 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"They were on a red eye flight home from Perth,"

Flight left before 7pm local time, not what I'd call the red eye."

The flight is literally the most red-eye flight you'll see.
Remembering the time difference, it leaves 6.50pm local time and arrives in NZ at 6am local time. And only 6 hours travel time so not enough for a full night's sleep.

I'm surprised they don't actually stay the night in Perth (go to sleep early, wake up early), get a good sleep, and recovery, and take the morning flight back (no need to acclimatise back to NZT so quick when their next game in Adelaide 6 days later). I guess the red-eye may be cheaper?

Reply #775313 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The game was at 7pm New Zealand time, too, so it would make sense to simply not adjust to the new time zone at all.

Reply #775333 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

MACDUB they took the only non-stop flight from PER to AKL. There's no morning option.

Reply #775344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hamptons handlers will be having emergency meetings atm. Doubt it would affect his draft standings but in a shit situation.
Would it be possible for his management to go to NBL and say their client has been placed in a damaging position and negotiate a release to another team? Would Adelaide be in a position to make a play for him, need a guard and star power. Have absolutely no idea if it's even possible but it's bad PR for future future stars going to a basket case team.

Reply #775346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have the Breakers stay in Perth overnight? YOU really think you could trust that placing group to stay in the hotel and sleep??

Hampton's team won't be happy with this. Bad look for the Next Stars etc etc

Reply #775348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should have stayed, Rice would have loved it in Northridge

Reply #775353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Northbridge*

Reply #775354 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a shame. Rice could have learnt the art of glassing from the locals to add to his repertoire.

Reply #775356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rice was promised a walk on role for the new upcoming Lord of the Rings movie. Is that now out the proverbial window?

Reply #775366 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

You Breakers can have both Lemanis and Vukina back fOr ThE cUlTuRe. I'll even drive them to the airport for yas.

Reply #775369 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You forgot Richard Clarke.

Reply #775372 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hampton has signed on for 2 seasons with NZ, Adelaide have zero chance he plays for them.
If he gets drafted, Breakers get a buyout.

Reply #775384 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Should of just had toke with Webster

Reply #775387 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Apparently Vodanavich's cardinal sin was being too loud on the flight whilst people around him slept.
The league should probably stand him down for a couple of games....

Reply #775395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How old is this brat?

Reply #775400 | Report this post

Boxed Out  
Years ago

Heard he was cut off by flight attendant. Became abusive and then proceeded to continue drinking from drinks he had in his carry on luggage

Reply #775434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers are a shitshow.
Long removed from their glory days.

Reply #775452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Apparently Vodanavich's cardinal sin was being too loud on the flight whilst people around him slept."

You sound like you are trying to downplay the incident.

Reply #775454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not saying this incident is major but considering the number of issues the club is having, it puts them and him in the spotlight unnecessarily. Vodanavich is young and doesn't know any better. The problem is that there is obviously nothing in place to improve the team culture, which is currently shithouse.

Reply #775458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. Taken in isolation, this would be a minor incident, but with everything else going on around the club it's made it a complete shitstorm

Reply #775459 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Breakers off court dramas directly follow on court performances. Losing brings out the worst in all aspects of an organisation. Recruitment is vital to success. Bradley is a useful athlete. He has a glaring weaknes defensively when he gets caught in on ball switches. He does not know what to do or he has never been shown what to do. Cotton, Melo, Casper just expose him. Henry tries hard but he shoots so poorly it puts all the pressure on Webster, who has played really well but can't carry all the offence. Hopson is a our best player. He's good but the jury is still out on whether he is a franchise player or not. Abercrombie shoots well but needs someone to set him up. Throw in a point guard still developing his game and management without a philosophy it is a recipe for trouble. Against Perth I thought they bonded together pretty well and stayed in the game longer than most expected. If they can build on this they can at least be a spoiler and pinch some games.

Reply #775470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Vodanavich is young and doesn't know any better"

Lol the guys like 25, i think he knows that you shouldn't get drunk and act like a tool on a plane.

Anyway I would have thought drinking multiple drinks straight after a game on a long flight isn't exactly ideal recovery for a pro athlete and probably something the club would tell them not to do. Not surprised his fat ass had a few drinks though.

Reply #775473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Walsh says sorry (eventually): https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport-video/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503077&gal_cid=1503077&gallery_id=214211

I think the helping Glen Rice, rather than discarding him, is surprising (in a good, decent way that one would expect from the Blackwells not Walsh).

Maybe, just maybe, Walsh has learned and the Breakers turn the corner.

Reply #775479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An article on stuff.co.nz suggests multiple players were getting drunk on the flight, with Vodanavich being the worst behaved. Kind of blows a hole in the "everyone else was asleep" nonsense.

Reply #775485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out there thought: Breakers to get their shit together and make the final. The the start of an epic run starts this weekend.

Reply #775488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bradley is a useful athlete. He has a glaring weaknes defensively when he gets caught in on ball switches. He does not know what to do or he has never been shown what to do. Cotton, Melo, Casper just expose him"

Arguably, Cotton and Casper would expose most, if not all, bigs in the league.

Ashley's problem is that he's struggled to find the middle ground between no foul and no defence. If he can learn to play defence without fouling, which has usually been him contesting unnecessarily or reaching stupidly, he is a good player in this league.

Reply #775489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are physios, S&C guy and a team manager and I am sure many other hanger ons. Someone should have stopped it. Hell what was the Coach and AC doing? Were they upgraded and missed it all?

Reply #775492 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754