Anonymous
Years ago

Ben Simmons makes a 3pt shot

About damn time

Topic #46363 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is shooting 100% from the 3 this season. Is he the greatest shooter of all time?

Reply #775901 | Report this post

Ware2Bogut  
Years ago

Wow can we garantee a medal at tokyo now.

Reply #775902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, he is. And Yinka Dare was the greatest playmaker of all time.

Reply #775905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league should be worried now.

Reply #775906 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

And Brett Brown was his coach. He has never made a three when coached by Lemanis.

Reply #775909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis Would put Kay in the starting lineup and use Simmons of the bench.

Reply #775915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't know what Lemanis would do with Simmons because he never bothered turning up. Pretty simple isn’t it, turn up work hard earn spot. Simmons and Bolden struggle with this concept.

Reply #775919 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Great overall game by Ben. 18 points (on 9 shots) 7 boards, 12 assists a steal and a block on only one TO.

Reply #775924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Lemanis Would put Kay in the starting lineup and use Simmons of the bench."

Yes, he is crazy but people like ME, rjd would agree with the insane thing lemanis does.

Reply #775925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" You don't know what Lemanis would do with Simmons because he never bothered turning up. Pretty simple isn't it, turn up work hard earn spot. Simmons and Bolden struggle with this concept."

why should people like Simmons and Bolden who play in the best league in the world earn their minutes ? People like kay, sobey, goulding who play in an average league like the Nbl are the ones who should earn their minutes. Oh wait, they should not even be in the boomers team because they are not good enough.

Reply #775926 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Big Ben draining the long range bomb was a thing of beauty. His new found range should translate well to fiba play.

Reply #775928 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"why should people like Simmons and Bolden who play in the best league in the world earn their minutes ? People like kay, sobey, goulding who play in an average league like the Nbl are the ones who should earn their minutes. Oh wait, they should not even be in the boomers team because they are not good enough."

Ah, ok. So star players are under no obligation to play hard or well?

I can see you've never coached a game of basketball in your life.

Goulding and Kay outplayed numerous NBA guys on not only their own teams, but in the tournament in general. But hey, they don't play as a 5 minute-per-year NBA bench scrub so I suppose they should just quit.

Please, I bet you, give yourself an uppercut.

Reply #775930 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cool good for him now he can always say he hit a 3 in the NBA like Shaq.

Reply #775931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME the only person who should be giving themselves an uppercut is you champ.

Lemanis is about to be fired off your advice/logic yes! Ben Simmons has literally gone to Basketball Australia and said "I want this guy out and I want this guy in". Bolden has obviously complained to Simmons who he's tight with and this is what's happened.

Welcome to 2019, actually this has been happening for years now. As a head coach you are NOT the show!!! The star is, and yes the number 1 pick/NBA all star shouldn't have to "earn" anything at camp. He has the power to get your ass fired cause HE is the show. Whether you like it or not this is top level basketball/entertainment.

The growing list of coaches who thought they were the show gets longer by the day, with familiar names like Fearne, Beveridge, Joyce, Gleeson in Melbourne, Stacker, Westover, Gaze. All coaches who tried hammering their square gameplans and offences and defences into the round hole of modern hoops.

Reply #775933 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

LMAO at #933

Reply #775934 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Haha. One tongue in cheek comment and the fanbois stop watching NBA plays of the week just long enough to post more of their usual rubbish. Whoooosh.

Reply #775935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut was the number one pick, he never seem to have a problem.

Reply #775936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool story Hoopie and great debate. Thanks for stopping by. Keep that head in the sand. Maybe some hard working 14th or 15th man at Preseason Rockets camp will take James Harden's spot on the team next year! Someone better tell the beard to show up and show out at camp!

Reply #775937 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

in the NBA, the superstar is king because of the $ he brings. They can keep it!

Thank God I live in Australia, where common sense and teamwork still has some impact, where someone who needs to put up 30 shots to get 10 baskets is told to sit down instead of to keep shooting, and where players are told to work hard at both ends of the court instead of being carried on defence by team-mates who are paid millions to shut up and suck it up.

Reply #775938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME you seem like a really good dude with great morals! But unfortunately what you're talking about is dead and buried in Australia too! If you've been playing along at home you'll of hopefully noticed that the NBL is literally copying everything the NBA does. It has become a product now, and it has become a show. It's ok to keep your same morals you had and love that part of sport, but it's moving to the NBA model whether you like it or not. Money talks. Do you know why the new USF foul rules were brought in? Do you remember the Hoops uproar that it would ruin the game? No no the league is still breaking records. You don't have to love what they're doing but you can't stop it.

Have you noticed ex NBA players creeping into ownership groups? This is not great for comfortable coaches who've buddied up with their GM's and owners. With more basketball expericed GM's and Owners coaches will have far less scope not to succeed, and he far more vulnerable to being fired.

Lemanis has had a few years now to get on board the "must have a quality import point guard to win in this league, and he's refused. This will catch up to him, not quickly like the NBA but it will. I remember David Blatt being 1st in the East, but his bumbling time outs and late game sets didn't pass the eye test so he was fired. As more eyes go on the NBL so will there be more questions on what the coaches are doing.

Reply #775939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry I meant Hoopie not ME

Reply #775940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Common sense and teamwork?

The NBL is 40 minutes of middle pick and roll with shooters spaced and a centre rolling to the rim! It's literally the same play over and over for 90% of the game! Just like the NBA

Reply #775941 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

And Patty Mills started for the first time in forever. I think we finally have an Australia Day date we can all agree on.

Reply #775942 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

"And Patty Mills started for the first time in forever. I think we finally have an Australia Day date we can all agree on"

@Curtley: I would happily get behind that.

Reply #775947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ryan broekhoff 12 mins 3 3s 9pts 4 rebs 1 stl and ever time he shot a 3 they chanted Aussie Aussie Aussie OI OI OI

Reply #775948 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

"Must have a quality import point guard to win in this league" - Some people in the Perth Wildcats group would have something to say about that...

Reply #775953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1-18 not bad, thought he made world peace with the headlines.

Reply #775958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Simmons has regressed this season

Reply #775961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are a fool if you think Bryce Cotton is a shooting guard and the majority of Perth fans (and definitely their front office) aren't dumb enough to think he's a shooting guard. Perth have cracked the code a little bit and been blessed with Damo's ability to "guard" the other teams point guard to rest Cotton. Damien Martin has stood in the corner on offence for the past 3 years! The offence is a healthy diet of Cotton middle and side pick and roll. Cotton IS the point guard. Damo just guards the other teams point guards.

Reply #775963 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

If Cotton is our Point Guard who is our Shooting Guard?

Reply #775967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME and Koberulz, pretty sickened by this thread heading. Have some sympathy fellas, the reign of lemanis has fallen and the 3 was the dagger in their 'never been wrong' hearts.

Reply #775975 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #775977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're underestimating how important Ben Simmons is in relation to the 'sample size' theory. Simmons outweighs the risk. BA believes this to be true, as well. NO fan of the Boomers is of belief, that on principal Lemanis should still be there, IF it means we wouldn't have gotten Ben Simmons. Talent will always squash the quality of the coach and the 'sample size' of that coach. 7 years is a long time, the players are smart enough to use prior history to their advantage moving forward. They all have and will play basketball after the Lemanis influence.

It's time to move on, its happened, its going to be a very good 2020 campaign.

Reply #775979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cute link, though, I'm sure you'll go on as long as there is someone willing to reply. God speed.

Reply #775980 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You're underestimating how important Ben Simmons is in relation to the 'sample size' theory
Chicken flower altruism desk fourteen triumphant.

Look, I can string random words together into things that resemble sentences too!

NO fan of the Boomers is of belief, that on principal Lemanis should still be there, IF it means we wouldn't have gotten Ben Simmons.
TIL I don't exist.

Talent will always squash the quality of the coach and the 'sample size' of that coach.
I'm expected to take you seriously and you don't even know which thread you're in.

Reply #775981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Koberulz shut the fuck up loser

Reply #775982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the above points, that you've highlighted and mocked, have relevance to the topic and side topics to do with the current Boomers situation.

You're a pretty difficult poster to reason with, that's ok though, you're just that type of personality etc

Good luck trying to get some enjoyment out of the Olympic campaign.

Reply #775983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone who agrees with the Lemanis sacking please put your team together, I don't know enough about the nba, you must have this in your knowledge.
Team and position please.

Reply #775984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Craig, happy to break it down for yo though it is getting trickier as we move into positionless basketball.

There are really only 3 roles on a basketball team anymore.

1) A high usage guard who is elite using a middle pick and roll.

2) a wing who can switch a large amount of screening action without it being too big of a miss match. As well as preferably be able to space the floor with a 3 ball.

3) a 7 foot middle pick and roll big who can catch a lob and protect the rim.

Chris Goulding is really the last of the successful shooting guard who still has plenty of turnout action run for him. No one really plays through their shooting guard anymore or recruits strongly in that position. There's no Rotnei Clarke's, and Kevin Lisch and Corey Webster are far less effective than they were with bigger usage rates.

So what is a point guard in 2019? Most say it's the guard with the highest usage rate and best at creating off a middle pick and roll. Guys like Casper, Randle, Machado, Roberson, Ball etc. Cotton plays very similar to these guys and with the same usage rate. He doesn't use tonnes of turnout action, and most of his damage is done off the dribble in middle pick and roll with ball in hand.

It's easy to get mesmerised by the leadership and toughness of Damo and many people attribute that to what a point guard should be. This great organiser and leader. You're right this are typical traits of a traditional point guard. But the reality is Damo stands in the corner on offence for a large portion of the game. His elite defence is why he remains on the floor in a guard position. His defence is so good it makes up for his lack of shooting.

Just because of Damo's low shooting percentage doesn't make him not a shooting guard. It just means he's not an elite one lol. His defence is however which means he can be on the floor in that "off guard" "2 guard" "shooting guard" whatever you want to call it role.

Hopefully that's cleared it up for you.

Reply #775987 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Simmons makes a three and people somehow go on about Lemanis.

Reply #775993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

XztatiK, put the dots together, makes sense to be honest.

Reply #775995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great day for Aussie hoops.

Reply #776000 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Was the Blatt reference above meant to sound familiar? Highly successful coach ousted because the Rich Paul-connected superstar felt their relationship wasn't strong enough, so they forced a break-up and replaced the coach with someone that the superstar had a better pre-existing relationship with (who then ran a more superstar-centric offense).

Reply #776127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rjd, they one the title after the move was made. Hush now.

Reply #776164 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754