Anonymous
Years ago

WNBL Round six

Townsville Fire got blown off the court. Remind me why some ball sack keeps picking Garbin for the Opals she can't do anything right.

Topic #46380 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

and Seebohm for the opals coach

Reply #776432 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Flyers are... flying.

Reply #776434 | Report this post

Aussiedownunder  
Years ago

Does anyone have any news at all on the Boomers/Spirit game? The Spirit are favs?

Reply #776546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunno. Spirit have been good at home but I still would have thought Melb should be favourites in this one unless they got an injury to a starter.

Reply #776550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comfortable win to the Boomers. I also expect an easy win for the Capitals.

Reply #776556 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Is the Canberra game streaming?

Reply #776570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers deserved the win but the final
score not a good indication of the overall game. Game was in the balance until several Spirit shots ringed out in Q3. Boomers then controlled the paint very well and forced repeat turnovers and tool control of the game. Overall much better defence by Spirit but team need more scoring from their bigs.

Reply #776582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anybody knows the player budgets for the different clubs? Is BA making a big mistake by not limiting the amount the clubs can spend? Seems this year the wnbl is at risk of turning into 4 top high spending teams and the 4 teams with less money seem destined to finish last.

Reply #776584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lynx are done, definitely.

Reply #777681 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep

Reply #777683 | Report this post

Hduwn  
Years ago

At what stage does Andy have his job looked at?
The offence doesn't flow and the cattle are there so time for change.

Reply #777697 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Surely not yet, since he has spent his entire WNBL career to date overachieving. This season we seem to be worse than the sum of our parts, but we've also got a major piece missing.
There's been some awful basketball in our past 5 quarters but I put most of that blame on the players. We had done well to stick with the Caps for 3 quarters so I'd be surprised if his instructions at the final change were to start sucking as hard as possible. Last night we looked flat from the opening tip. It was extremely un-Lynx-like.

Reply #777713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with Luuuc ; there is only so much you can blame the coach for. Players need to be more accountable.

Reply #777718 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The lack of a salary cap / points system is hurting the WNBL.

Reply #777719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on LC ! This is not a league anymore. It is more like 2 division. 4 clubs being able to spend a lot more money/recruit high level players and the rest developing young players. Poor management of the league by BA

Reply #777720 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Over achieving? The biggest budget in the league for years, the pick of any top notch import in the world, finishing top of the ladder and getting bounced in straight sets a year or two ago, attracting good Aussie talent from other clubs? Sounds to me like if Andy doesn't deliver this year he needs to be under serious review. His game plan doesn’t suit the players he signs and other teams have worked this out

Reply #777740 | Report this post

Hduwn  
Years ago

I don't think he has overachieved I would say the opposite. Unlike previously when the lynx sucked he has had the cattle but not the results. Hardly any local talent has been developed maybe actually none and until this year he stuck with the game plan of not needing a big.
Hell of a lot of talent has gone through his roster for no result and also poor retention of players which I think speaks volumes.

Reply #778161 | Report this post

Have a look at that d$#% Molloy tonight. Rather than looking at his coaching he's blaming the refs.

Reply #779275 | Report this post

Now he gets a tech. Am I the only one that thinks he's a hopeless coach?

Reply #779276 | Report this post

The dick just walked off without shaking any hands.
No personal skills!

Reply #779279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're definitely not alone Molly

Reply #779299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know why Kennedy isn't AC Ing for Boomers anymore?

Reply #779301 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

Just two totally different people above who both have a beef with Molloy but can't spell his name.

Reply #779303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think what matters is the context of the post, not that one of the post has miss spelt his name.
I would have to agree that Molloy does not get the best out of his players.
I know for a fact after talking to some of their past top line players that they would NEVER go back to Melbourne while he is coaching!

Reply #779433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is belger next naturalised playerf for for opals? Born 1990.

Whitcomb 88, Griffin 88, Mitchell 85

Reply #779436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin 87'

Reply #779437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not mandatory to have a naturalised player. Once the good ones are retired don't scrape the barrel just for the sake of having an American in the team. Would rather have someone local who is better and has some pride in the jersey.

Reply #779439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't have any though, kinda my point.

We have Wallace as the only youngster coming through. Name another sg under 25 that has opals potential right after 2020.
Nicholson the only other I would consider and she’s already 26-27. Talbot is a sf imo, born 94.
All the others are 30y.o or almost 30.f

Reply #779444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you would never know that Atkins was a starter for the WNBA champions. she does nothing.

Reply #779453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andy Stewart you are disgrace

Reply #779455 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What's with all the hashtags on this broadcast?

Reply #779458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lynx fucked up again

Reply #779461 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This Lynx team needs some sports psychology pronto. Every friggin' game we play well in, we seize up after half time and completely forget what got us the lead. If ever there was a time to get the monkey off the back it's when we're finally at full strength and facing a team who just played a close one < 24 hours ago, but nope, we still managed to choke it away horribly. The turnovers are infuriating, especially after watching 4 seasons of some of the most attacking, free-flowing, attractive basketball you could ask for. It's so un-Lynx-like.

Reply #779477 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Stewart needs to go. The formula doesn't work. You get the big bucks every year and the results aren’t coming. No development of any young talent. Time to change things up

Reply #779488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league needs to be taken down and nbl women should be setup ASAP.

Reply #779494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league needs to bring back the point system and salary cap unless they want only 6 teams to play next year. Listening to LJ commentary about the league shows she has no commercial understanding of how tough it is for some of the teams to survive and retain sponsors when a few teams can outspend the rest. The season will kill regional basketball and make the sport just for capital city clubs.

Reply #779498 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I just ran some quarter-by-quarter numbers, and the Lynx scoring percentages are:

1st quarter: 114%
2nd quarter: 98%
3rd quarter: 118%
4th q. + OT: 68%

Our average score at 3 quarter time is a 62-57 lead.
Followed by an 18-26 4th quarter choke.

Reply #779502 | Report this post

Anonno  
Years ago

Ebzery needs to worry more about trying to win the game than complaining about calls on every possession

Reply #779503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lj at the Sydney kings game said next year will be great lol.

Reply #779505 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

What will be great exactly? She seems to think just talking positively will make the league magically improve its commercial appeal.

Reply #779506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LJ has no clue about about the pressure on some of the clubs financially. Her statement
"I don't care what the score is at the end of this game @AdelLightning @PerthLynx big time players are making big time plays right now and it is so fun to watch!" says it all. It is not like the public is showing the league much love. Sure some clubs have owners and sponsors with lots of money but even they will want some kind of return - and what about the rest who lack the money and will never player finals under current league rules?

Reply #779508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe LJ is talking about the live streams being great, next year!

Reply #779512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next year is only 24 days away. Just 24 days until we get a live stream that works for more than 15 minutes!

Reply #779516 | Report this post

Hduwn  
Years ago

Andy Stewart should lose his job.The lynx have the cattle but they are not thriving under him. If I have to watch Imani with her hands up high flashing to the ball inside just to have the ball shipped across the court I will scream. Come on the ball should be going inside every time down the floor let's get this sorted.

Reply #779529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't look good with this betting stuff either. A 15second delay between live and livestream...

Reply #779530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh no, this has just been released... Bendigo have released Becc Tobin for the remainder of the season.
https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/6540951/wnbl-becca-tobin-released-from-bendigo-spirit-contract/

Reply #780213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

off-court matters

Reply #780215 | Report this post

Hduwn  
Years ago

Stafford for Perth is useless!

Reply #781923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames will get the win over southside (missing OHea & Russell so not really an upset) but they lose Planeta to a knee injury

Reply #781925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek should be in opals, but 3x3...

Reply #781938 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Stafford for Perth is useless!

She's not, but she definitely had a mare of a game today.
2 ugly wins in a row for Perth, both in which we seemed determined to choke it away at the end but were out-choked by our opponents.
Sure beats losing though.
Swags wasn't at her best but was clutch when it counted.

Reply #781991 | Report this post

Hduwn  
Years ago

I am a season ticket holder and can say she is useless what has she done? Havnt seen her do a post move on anyone, seems to like to be outside the paint then in, fumbles the ball and plays the laziest cement in her shoes defence I have ever seen!

Reply #782011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with Brondello in the stands it seems like Nicholson and Seekamp are actively trying to play themselves out of the opals squad today

Reply #782113 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm glad I am not a Boomer member anymore.
Another star studded team and just manage to beat Adelaide who shot terribly.
The common person here during the last 5-6 years is Molloy.
What does it take for that guy to get the sack?

Reply #782245 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Kunek is only getting better. Just look at her stats over Talbot.
Planeta ACL

Reply #782298 | Report this post

Hduwn  
Years ago

Kunek is definitely better than Talbot not sure how she is in the WNBA to be honest. I mean great player and worked and person but not as talented as alit of the players in the league who are not in the WNBA lead alone the opals. Doesn't kunek want to play 3 on 3 or would she rather be in the opals squad?

Reply #782330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talbot is perfectly suited to being a role player in the WNBA, athletic enough to defend her position, low maintenance / good character, good passer, can hit open shots, doesn't need volume usage. Everything Kunek isn't and perfectly suited to fill a role on a team with Taurasi. Same goes for Opals, I wouldn't start her and not in the league of a Bec Allen but great 8th player for an olympic campaign.

Reply #782335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 onn3 has certainly improved Cole, Kunek and frolings game.

Reply #782337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no argument there, and Garrick as well. Can we have naturalised Aussies in 3on3. Schwagmeyer would be unbelievable in all that space.

Reply #782350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"not sure how she is in the WNBA to be honest."

because she is contributing very well to her team maybe?

Reply #782369 | Report this post

eagleye  
Years ago

Dickel will get Talbot to the WNBA when she plays for South

Reply #782377 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

WNBL streaming. You have one job and you can't do it.

Reply #783057 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Be glad you missed that 2nd quarter, PW, it was a shocker.
(But yeah, it's a joke that they haven't got it functional yet)

Reply #783061 | Report this post

Insider  
Years ago

Dear anyone with a spine on the Lynx board, get rid of Stewart asap. We will win nothing with him in charge!

Reply #783078 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

You have to wonder if the Lynx has a future with Andy at the helm. Lynx has all their main players back yet play without heart and a lack of intensity. No run, selfish plays, not enough passing. No sign of life there at all. No aggressive rebounding and no defensive pressure.

Andy Stewart is gone.

Reply #783080 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

The WNBL must be a tough league if the WNBA champion can't fire a shot. Never has ever since landing down under. Atkins will be gone at season end. Stewart will be gone once it's clear Perth can't make the finals.

Reply #783081 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Perth 59 Canberra 76. A very disappointing lost. Have to play 3 of the top 4 teams coming up. Lynx needs to string a few wins together. Not over yet, but today's lost is a big blow.

Reply #783083 | Report this post

Hduwn  
Years ago

I feel so bad for the Perth lynx team they have the talent and just can't hold it together. If it wasn’t for Katie we would be a train wreck.
McGee is useless has lead boots on and can’t stay on the floor certainly not value for money and Atkins needs a della Donne as threat inside to kick it out to get her shot going.
Andy has to go and we need to desperately hold on to Katie and Lauren plus whittle and Payne, you can raffle the rest

Reply #783099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scrap,the league please, run in it into the ground why don't u.

Needs lk, not lj.

Reply #783107 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Since becoming the Lynx I reckon Perth fans have been the luckiest in the league with the product we've been able to watch here. Even when the talent wasn't the greatest or the balance wasn't ideal, the team has been on the same page and played a clean, proactive and hard-working brand of basketball that has been great to watch - win or lose. I dunno what's gone wrong this season but it has become a mess. We're definitely worse than the sum of our parts this season and I find that the hardest thing to cop when supporting any team.

Griffin always destroys us, but with her out there's no reason we shouldn't have won today. We've got quality players and we've also got some depth. At home, fresh, vs a depleted team who lost in OT < 48 hours ago. Yet there was about a quarter and a half of resistance and a whole lot of meh.
Katie was magnificent, but the only other highlight was Sami being in the building. #ledge

Wasted season for Perth.

Reply #783114 | Report this post

Spectator  
Years ago

Perth's run home:
Home vs Flyers (Loss)
Away vs Caps (Loss)
Home vs Spirit (Win)
Away vs Fire (Loss)
Away vs Spirit (Win)
Away vs Lightning (Loss)
Away vs Boomers (Loss)
Seven left with only two wins a possibility based on current form. If they lose both games next weekend, do they pull the pin and let Petrik see out the season before targeting a big name coach in the off-season? Despite Georgiu's man-crush with Stewart, he has had more than enough time to prove his worth as a wnbl coach and given the talent he has had at his disposal, he has failed miserably. Time to bite the bullet and do what's best for the club, and more importantly the program rather than allow the love-in boys club to go on for another season.

Reply #783143 | Report this post

Shown  
Years ago

Did I hear right that Katie Ebzery was staying in Perth during the off season? Is she going to be playing sbl? She would have to be a crucial lock for Perth once they fire Andy!

Reply #783167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlikely to play SBL with the Olympics.

Said to be filling in with Cockburn and training with them in the lead up to the Olympics.

Lynx have a Cockburn connection through their coaching staff

Reply #783168 | Report this post

Shown  
Years ago

Does that mean she is likely to play for the lynx again in 2020-21 season?

Reply #783169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She likes living in Perth but there is zero chance she is with the Lynx next season if Stewart is still the coach.

Reply #783207 | Report this post

Yogi  
Years ago

Is there some issues there? Or are you just saying due to the results etc she won't stay and he is the obvious reason.

Reply #783208 | Report this post

Yogi  
Years ago

Is there some issues there? Or are you just saying due to the results etc she won't stay and he is the obvious reason.

Reply #783209 | Report this post

Cranks  
Years ago

Hasn't she also finished her uni study and is a qualified teacher? Maybe some relief teaching in Perth during the off season

Reply #783210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogi coaching is partly technical but mostly managing people to get the best out of them and in that department he is drowning

Reply #783211 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Flames really need Scherf to stop missing bunnies and lay-ups. It cost them again yesterday.

Reply #783214 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Pretty damning for Perth that Sydney are ahead of them with their injury toll and thin squad.

Reply #783239 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

James Harvey fan
A few hours ago

Flames really need Scherf to stop missing bunnies and lay-ups. It cost them again yesterday.

Sydney need to look to pass the ball into her more, and Kunek needs to learn basketball is a team sport

Reply #783278 | Report this post

Cranks  
Years ago

Pressure certainly on at Perth with everyone including Andy out of contract.
He has to go their performance this year has been terrible.
Sign Katie as soon as possible and sign Lauren then see what happens with the rest. I think Payne and whittle are both good locks with swags and Allen.
Then get a decent big something we still have failed to get even with the tallest player in the league.

Reply #784184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:43 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754