ME
Years ago

Will Magnay v Harry Froling

Interesting match up last night between these two. Both Queensland juniors, AIS products and left college early to pursue pro careers. Froling touted as an NBA prospect while Magnay has battled injuries / illness for past two seasons.

However, their trajectory seems to have altered with Magnay looking much more polished and a more regular contributor at both ends for the Bullets than Froling has been for Adelaide in his second season. Very different attitudes and approaches to the game as well.

Does Magnay have a bigger upside and higher ceiling or can Froling get himself back into shape and back into the Joeys rotation?!

Topic #46381 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hadn't seen the Bullets guy before, but he seemed active, eager and knew when to finish with 2 hands.

Froling looks fat. Its that simple, he has no muscle definition, at his age, I still believe this responsibility lies on the 36ers training staff etc to push him off the court in the gym/diet etc

As for who's better, both have potential to be something, or fade, so I don't get too caught up in these comparisons, personally.

Could have Froling got the key rebound in the last 2-3 minutes last night? We will never know, coach gave him no chance to at least attempt to do something positive on court.

Magnay had his way with the lack of height we offered to combat him most of the night.

Reply #776449 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Magnay

Reply #776500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frolling was fairly impressive last year, but he just looks like a chubby toddler this year. Magney looks miles ahead of him.

Reply #776504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

magnay is a future Landale.

Reply #776506 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Magnay's ceiling will be defined by whether or not he can develop a reliable outside shot.

Froling seems to have the tools but not the desire to work hard enough.

Reply #776512 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Froling reminds me of a big version of Trahair.

Reply #776514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is an easy one to answer, Magnay.
He has the look of a 10+ year pro and a possible Olympian so he's miles in front.

As for Froling, no one doubts his talent. He’s got great skills for a guy his size but he’s wasting his talent thus far. Unlike others, I wasn’t overly impressed with his ROY campaign. Remember, last year was a weak year for first year players. He was just the best of a bad bunch and he certainly wasn’t dominant considering his size and skill set. That had a lot to do with his conditioning.

What concerns me about Froling is he’s built up a reputation as a quitter (college perfect example). At the end of the day, he needs to be A LOT more dedicated to his body. Sure, the 36ers can influence his strength and conditioning work but he still needs to push himself).

Additionally, only he can influence what he puts in his mouth. He really does look fat and what he’s eating/drinking is clearly a big contributor to that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s over 20% body fat and you need to be much lower than that to be a professional athlete.

His body (knees, ankles) will break down if he doesn’t start taking things more seriously.

Reply #776515 | Report this post

"magnay is a future Landale."

Yeah I was thinking that when watching him. If he can develop his shot he has a similar ceiling I'd say.

Reply #776520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if Froling is even the best player amongst his siblings anymore. He looks like a fat kid.

Magnay is bouncy, energetic and long. He is raw, but if he can improve his handle and shot then he will be seriously good .

Reply #776538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that people call Froling fat. I know he went over to Adelaide to hit the gym and get up shots. He's a big bodied kid and still growing. Those sitting on the couch throwing bricks at Froling should get off their fat srses and get into the gym.

Reply #776547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In three straight possessions towards the end of the 3rd Qtr Magnay showed his superiority on both ends.

Play 1, Froling sets a screen at the top of the 3 point line, rolls into space and goes up for a layup. He barely got off the floor, and was blocked cleanly from behind by a soaring Magnay, but was bailed out by a Patterson hands foul.

Next play , Magnay catches it at the top drives right around, Froling is glued to the floor, trip and falls over, and Magnay stuffs it two hands.

Next play, inbounds pass and Adelaide turn it over, Brisbane pass inside to Magnay under the basket and dunks on a feeble Froling attempt to block.

Magnay all the way

Reply #776548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Strange that people call Froling fat. I know he went over to Adelaide to hit the gym and get up shots. He's a big bodied kid and still growing. Those sitting on the couch throwing bricks at Froling should get off their fat srses and get into the gym."

Are your eyes painted on?
'Big bodied kid and still growing' is a cop out. He’s clearly not fit enough. If you can’t see that, you’re an idiot

Reply #776549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol thanks mr froling.

'I'm not fat I’m just big boned!’

Reply #776563 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

or

Reply #776567 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Big difference between Froling this year and last (outside of conditioning) is last year he went on a tear from deep, which opened up the whole game for him - guys were leaping out at him at the perimeter giving him the ability to attack off the dribble, etc. I'd pick Magnay in a heartbeat based on current form.

Reply #776568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not certain what height Magnay is listed at but next to some big guys out there don’t look that tall. Eye test only.

Reply #776577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's legit 208cm

Reply #776580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Acuil, 213cm plus arm length had Magnay struggling.

Reply #776587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are your eyes painted on?" Nope.

Clearly you know nothing about the guy. Yet another fat arsed numptie sitting on the couch thinking you know somthing about the game.
Clearly you don't. Have another beer.

Reply #776594 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Statswise not much in it between the pair it's just that Magnay looks to be improving and Froling hasn't so far.

Reply #776599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay 3 and 4
Acuil 11 and 13. I'd say that’s reasonably conclusive of that worked out.

Reply #776610 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Froling 4 and 0 at HT.

Reply #776614 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ended up with a skinny 9 and 4.

Reply #776641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith Milner is ahead of both of them.

Reply #776643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling reminds me of Nikola jokic

Reply #776662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Exactly what he told the Jazz when he expected to be a lottery pick back in June. HAHA. Last laugh on us though, because he truly is the joker for making some of us believe he was a legit prospect.

Reply #776663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Media mates always helps, Heal was telling us that the Froling brothers were the next Gasol brothers.

Reply #776674 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Last laugh on us though, because he truly is the joker for making some of us believe he was a legit prospect."

Not really as it benefits the Sixers more as he is more likely to stay

Reply #776676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay very poor last night. Pineau beat him easily.

Reply #777951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for update Shane. Doesn't change anything.

Reply #777973 | Report this post

Magnay over Froling easily.

Reply #784887 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Magnay.

Reply #801928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:23 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754