Anonymous
Years ago

Illawarra - Is it time for the League to step in?

Such threads arise periodically when teams suck, and answer is generally no, let them sort their own shit out, come back next year.

But is this scenario different?

The NBL has invested a lot, and has much riding on the Next Stars program.

Lamelo Ball, for all his detractors, has brought unprecedented publicity, and is actually doing a bang up job.
And the Hawks have made a right hash of it.

Remains to be seen if the Snakes have anything left in the tank for Monday, but if the have the Hawks are likely to lose and plunge to 2 & 9.

All those millions tuning in to watch Lamelo, are getting an abomination of a team, badly coached, and something needs to change.
Whomever assembled that squad needs the sack, the coach is hopeless, and they haven't even been able to replace an import who got injured a month ago.

Topic #46390 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone knows the owner is bleeding money and won't be there next season. They are getting stuff all out of the LaMelo deal - the Slam sponsorship is minor at best - the crowds still aren’t there and Flinn was far and away the cheapest option. The only question is if they survive after this season.

Reply #776668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Move the Licence to Hobart!!

Reply #776669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart lol

Reply #776670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart don't need Illawarra’s license Hobart is getting its own license IF the Tasmanian government comes to the party with cash and cheap land. If it was moved any where it should be south west Sydney hawks and keep a few games at Wollongong wile growing the support in Sydney’s southern and western suburbs.
Nsw needs at least 2 NBL teams.
Even with all the crap that has happened with the hawks Lamelo is still looking at going number 1 in the draft.
I’m surprised they haven’t signed an import yet, saying that a few of the players have stepped up a little the last few games but they need some serious help right now so I hope this import is worth the wait.

Reply #776671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Even with all the crap that has happened with the hawks Lamelo is still looking at going number 1 in the draft."

And?

Reply #776673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you no the league is not already helping Illawarra, my sources say they are. I'm hearing a new owner is on the horizon but wants majority share holding. Illawarra will be fine imo if new owner gets in and takes control.

Reply #776675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Crowds still aren't there"
Just emphasises my point. Hawks failing to capitalise on Lamelo, by failing to assembly even a half-decent team, and failing to win games. This was a Golden opportunity to re-ignite the Hawks and they are squandering it.

"Hawks getting nothing from Lamelo deal"
Then they are even more grossly incompetent that I imagined.
They've got a good player for free, global exposure, should me making a motza on merchandise, and they should be raking it (relatively speaking) from sponsorships.

"Finn the cheapest option"
I would have done it for less, and done a better job. He is costing them money due to not having a clue.

"The only question is if they survive after this season"
At this rate, they don't deserve to.
If they can't make a go of this opportunity, then they should just fold.

"How do you no the league is not already helping Illawarra, my sources say they are"
ROFL, yes they are receiving a subsidy, and the league is paying for Lamelo, but that's not what I asked.

I'm asking if the league needs to step in and either force decisions on the hawks, or simply take direct control.

Reply #776677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't know the league is not helping Illawarra above and beyond what you have stated. I’m told they have done more. Am I 100% correct, I don’t know but neither do you.
The nbl is a private business now, we follow it as it is because it’s a 100% better than what was there but you don’t get all ins and outs. If the current owner goes Illawarra should flourish.

Reply #776680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't understand why they haven't signed at least one cheap import

Reply #776683 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Thanks for the offer to coach the Hawks for less. Please post your coaching cv here for all to critique.

Reply #776684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra don't deserve a team. Every other town has shown up to watch Lamelo. Time to move to Tasmania or Bendigo.

Reply #776689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo lol that's funny and Tasmania will get a team (if) the Tasmanian government forks out the cash and the cheap land, with no government support the team won’t last in tas. If you live in tas and would like a NBL team get out and drum up support for it and show the tas government that the Tasmanian people want this to happen.

Reply #776702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Even with all the crap that has happened with the hawks Lamelo is still looking at going number 1 in the draft."

And?)

As far as the NBL are concerned the hawks are doing a good job with melo so why would they need to steep in?
Dose it matter if they are coming last? Someone has to, it could easily be Cairns or the breakers in last place, would we be having this conversation then ?

Reply #776704 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Whoever suggested moving them to South West Sydney may need to get a stadium built there first.

Reply #776707 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's been 3 and a half weeks since their tweeted video of the meeting between Flinn, Campbell, Demos and others where they had a bunch of import names on a whiteboard. Does make you wonder what’s going on.

If Ball was to bail, their season would very quickly go from mediocre to catastrophic in terms of on court results.

Crowds- give them a bit of time. Why do they have so many games on a Monday night!? Wait till they’ve played home games against Sydney, and more home games on Friday or Saturday to give a better indication of the support in the Gong.

Reply #776713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As far as the NBL are concerned the hawks are doing a good job with melo so why would they need to steep in?"

Wow, just wow.
This has incredible potential to go bad, real, real fast.

At this rate there is a very possibility that LaMelo leaves early, having achieved all he can, and goes home to prepare for the draft.
And do ya reckon LaVar goes quietly???
Or does he come out and blast the Hawks and the League.

"Dose it matter if they are coming last? Someone has to"
Yes it matters, it also matter that they are a mess and look utterly incompetent.

"it could easily be the breakers in last place,"
Yes, and they need to get their shit together also

"it could easily be Cairns in last place, would we be having this conversation then ?"
Remind me again who their Next Star is?

Reply #776715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns? Cairns are better than Adelaide and Brisbane.

Reply #776716 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NZ are a right mess ATM too!

Reply #776718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard that Illawarra went to Kessleman to pay out the contract of Aaron Brooks so they could get a replacement, and he declined. They have now applied for $$$ under the hardship clause to get said replacement, but it will be at a significant less cost than they would have used if LK came to the party re: Brooks.

Reply #776719 | Report this post

Makia  
Years ago

I don't blame the Hawk's schedule entirely for the crowds, but it does impact the ability of some people to attend.

Their schedule is composed of:

Fridays - 2
Saturdays - 1 (likely to be in Canberra)
Sundays - 6 (including 1 in Canberra)
Mondays - 4
Tuesdays - 1 (New Year's Eve)

Reply #776720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Cairns? Cairns are better than Adelaide and Brisbane.)

Just saying it could be a number of teams at the bottom. Last year it was Cairns at the bottom.

Reply #776725 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

It might just be it took them a while to gel, they killed it tonight. If they had a decent centre they could contend for the title.
Blanchfield is washed up though and is more of a hindrance than a help.

Reply #776810 | Report this post

Old mate  
Years ago

Great thread knobhead
Great win by the foundation club full of pride and passion
Go Hawks

Reply #776812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogilvy and Blanchfield were very good at both ends tonight.

Reply #776813 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

Blanch was shooting open bricks towards the end.

Reply #776814 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

Coneradd > Blanch

Reply #776816 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All those millions tuning in to watch Lamelo, are getting an abomination of a team, badly coached, and something needs to change.
Or they get his triple double in an OT home win. I agree they seem hapless from home crowds, and I don't know that Flinn is the coach I'd pick, but I don't think the league would be unhappy about that triple double and any attention it will bring.

Reply #776818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flinn is like rest team, learning as they go along. They are doing ok imo.

Ball also developed a lot size to his frame since he arrived, it shows he's working hard on and off the court. Coenraad said he has improved so much in his after game interview.

Reply #776824 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Great turnout tonight. Well surpassed my expectations. Can anyone close to Wollongong shed some light into why there was a much bigger crowd than usual? Being a monday night against low Cairns I would have expected no more than 2500 regardless of the Lamelo Ball effect.

Did this game get promoted heavily more so than usual?

It was great to see. Hopefully this builds some momentum for the Hawks on and off the court. Im a big critic of this club, but it was great to see a healthy crowd on a Monday night there.

Reply #776826 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is school finished?

Reply #776827 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

Get your own name #812 you knobhead...

Reply #776828 | Report this post

old mate  
Years ago

He has.

Reply #776841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Whoever suggested moving them to South West Sydney may need to get a stadium built there first.)

Good idea......but fist start building a fan base in the area, a lot of people live out there.

Reply #776846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Whoever suggested moving them to South West Sydney may need to get a stadium built there first.)

Why?
Take a look how the two LA teams do it.
Maybe down the road but not needed straight away.

Reply #776848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate you just sound angry to me.
Nz are at the bottom of the ladder now and Cairns are falling fast, so are they in trouble now? The power house teams are doing what they do and the small teams are doing what they do that's just how it is.
Why speculate if he is leaving? He is here now watch him wile you can or you can have a cry about something that might happen your choice.
Relax mate just enjoy it for what it is and not get upset for something that it might be.

Reply #776849 | Report this post

RJL  
Years ago

@826 promotion in local media was OK, but nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps Cairns being the only team Hawks have beaten was a factor. Word is Monday games are for exposure in the US (Sunday TV there). Mood in the WEC was electric last night.

The irony is that other teams are benefitting from the Hawks (ie Lamelo). Only one or two opportrunities to catch him is seeing great crowds at the home court when the Hawks visit.

Tough crowd here. Flinny is warming to the job. He's learning just like Lamelo. Slowly starting to put it together. Brooks going down was probably the best thing for Lamelo - he's got the keys now, even Coenraad said as much after the game.

Not sure how much the hawks get from merchandise - what percentage do they keep and what goes to the league?

Reply #776920 | Report this post

old mate  
Years ago

Surely they are making bucket loads on jerseys and more?

Reply #776922 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If they're playing Monday night games so they can get on US TV on Sundays, they've made a serious miscalculation.

Reply #776927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay that was an epic win, but one out of how many? Are we suggesting thats a trend now?
Probably need to expand this thread to include New Zealand, Hampton just as important to the program, and they seem to be imploding.

Reply #776928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 million viewers for the hawks game.

Reply #776955 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

When all is said and done this whole thing will be far better for the league than the Hawks. And that's what LK cares about.

Reply #776959 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When all is said and done this whole thing will be far better for the league than the Hawks. And that's what LK cares about.
And I don't blame him. Hawks have been put in a position to capitalise, and if they can't, how much patience can the league have?

Reply #776966 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"And I don't blame him. Hawks have been put in a position to capitalise, and if they can't, how much patience can the league have?"

Have they though?

They've got a guy who hasn't helped them win many games (yes he was fantastic on the weekend) and will be done by the time he's consistently good. They're playing games at times that don't suit the local crowd.

How does this help the Hawks build loyalty among their local fans? It doesn't.

To me they've been set up to fail with the above type "we've done all this for you and you've still failed" rhetoric ready to go to drive in the final nail.

This was never going to be a good long term move for the Hawks.

Reply #776973 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Isaac and Cram

You seem to be talking about 2 different (but potentially related) goals.

1. Improving Hawk's precarious state of viability ($, crowds, sponsorship, public interest etc); and

2. Improving Hawk’s on court performances.

The NBL have certainly given them assistance in building 1., but at the expense of 2.

Hawks should have opportunities to improve 1. as there is no real competition from other regional sporting teams. But they haven’t capitalised on the promotional opportunities of having a Ball.

Hawks roster is poorly constructed, with a lack of matching pieces (and possibly having incompatible pieces) as well as having a very poor age and experience profile (very young and ageing players with not much in between). This was never going to work. That said, I still reckon Illawarra will go on a streak and sweep the gf series.

Reply #776978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And I don't blame him. Hawks have been put in a position to capitalise, and if they can't, how much patience can the league have?"
Which I think is the whole point of this thread?
Nobody is suggesting that LK hand them any more money, at least not without some serious strings attached. We are asking whether LK needs to take more direct action.

Reply #777040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The catalyst for the Hobson signing, I'm told: immense pressure from the NBL (@illawarramerc had a great story on it yesterday). The league put its foot on the throat of the Hawks' ownership, forcing a signing ASAP. Obviously the NBL wants LaMelo’s team to be somewhat competitive"

Reply #778693 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754