Anonymous
Years ago

Breakers player allegedly stole alcohol from Perth Arena

The once wildly-successful New Zealand Breakers are embroiled in turmoil as the embattled franchise stumbles from one controversy to the next.

The Matt Walsh and Shawn Marion owned club's most recent incident involved at least one member of the Breakers stealing alcohol from Perth Arena, as reported by Channel 7 and later confirmed to Basketball Forever by New Zealand themselves, after the team dropped to 2-7 with a round seven loss to the Wildcats.
Full article

Topic #46392 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Years ago

They're taking the piss, surely?

Reply #776727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's going on nz?

Reply #776728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to see here, if you actually read the article. Yawn.

Reply #776730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Nothing to see here, if you actually read the article. Yawn."

Of course I read the article. Its just another example of a terrible culture and lack of leadership throughout the entire club.

Reply #776731 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"It's been addressed, we have coordinated with the arena, the Wildcats and the league," Walsh told Basketball Forever. “The issue has been closed so I’m not sure what the relevance of this is.”

Playing dumb, or actually stupid?

Reply #776732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leave NZ alone, there good for the league and the new owners will be fine.

Reply #776733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Leave NZ alone, there good for the league and the new owners will be fine."

When will they start being fine?

Reply #776734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers have been trash since Walsh arrived.

Reply #776736 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Clickbait CRAP

Reply #776738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Mock

Reply #776739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whinging wildcats

Reply #776740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not everyone can be top of the table, they have had shit luck with injuries, Walsh not the fault for that. Rice was a numb scull but all clubs are not perfect. So many knockers, most of it is all minor shit.

Reply #776741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how much duty free alcohol they buy during the course of a season

Reply #776742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They deserve it after the way they sacked their previous coach. Karma

Reply #776744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh not the fault for that.

No but he is at fault for all the other off court shit.

Reply #776745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big deal. A whole lot if journalists who I have never heard of predicting the sky is falling down.

Perth are feral. Bet they gave them the alcohol and then dobbed them in.

Reply #776748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet someone from the Wildcats snuck on the flight back and served them alcohol there too. Ferals!!

Reply #776749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there players had any sort of respect or fear of Walsh, this stuff wouldnt be happening.

Reply #776750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet someone from the Wildcats own the nightclub where Rice was arrested too. Sneaky ferals!

Reply #776751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet Perth gave Corey Webster autism from a vaccine then flattened the earth and told him about it.

Reply #776758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not funny

Reply #776761 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"They're taking the piss, surely?" Literally taking the puss

Reply #776766 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

the Nbl is behind all this, they're desperate for a Sydney-Melbourne grand final. it's a CONSPIRACY!

Reply #776775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Basketball Forever blog is trash. And their Facebook page says they've got more than 3 million followers, what crap. Most of those followers were bought. Frauds.

Reply #776820 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But, but what about that 36ers development player last year?

Reply #776822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree on Basketball Forever, absolute junk. Please nobody publicise their garbage here again

Reply #776825 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Agreed: Basketball Forever is trash, but they did provide direct quotes from Walsh.

Reply #776829 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I can't wait for what they get up to next.

Reply #776830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The New Zealand jail-Breakers??

Reply #776837 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

Walsh seems like he has his own problems tbh. His behaviour is attention-seeking, unpredictable and unmeasured. Why on earth would you bring up Fitchett and drag his name through the mud? Or Ta Rangi or Illi, all on completely unrelated matters to the alcohol incident? What owner has such poor self-control he feels the need to start a heated argument in the middle of a game?

It's really simple. If your culture is so brilliant, why can not a single quote or reference be found to credit it? If there are so many ongoing issues then it cannot just be other people's faults. The problem clearly lies with Walsh too but on record he doesn't seem to realise this.

Reply #776839 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

NBL let anyone who has cash buy into the league.....it certainly add's an interesting element to the league thats for sure!

Reply #776850 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

What's concerning is Walsh thinks everything is OK since the bill has been settled.

Can he be anymore ignorant of the underlying issues?

Reply #776898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster has rejected the whole story: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12288514

While there's lots to be critical about the Breakers, this sounds like just a bit of a beat-up.

Reply #776904 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I think we need to remember Webster's character when he offers his character endorsement for the team.

Drug taking.
Multiple assault convictions.
Alleged infidelity.

Reply #776909 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"It's been addressed, we have coordinated with the arena, the Wildcats and the league," Walsh told Basketball Forever. "The issue has been closed so I'm not sure what the relevance of this is."

1. Why didn't Walsh just say that he paid for player's drinks if that's all it was? No controversy in that.
2. Why was the league involved if Perth Arena didn't take "issue" with it?
3. How do so many coincidences and/or misunderstandings keep happening to one club?

Reply #776914 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Why would a NZ Breaker steal alcohol?

Must be the only man in NZ to not operate his own perfectly legal small scale alcohol still. It's a regular industry there.

Reply #776917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Multiple assault convictions" - incorrect.

He got into one fight at a bar, didn't he? Where he pulled a Santa's beard (who, allegedly according to some sources, was being a real dick)? And he was discharged without conviction?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/95387078/exbreakers-player-corey-webster-found-guilty-on-two-assault-charges

Reply #776939 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

According to the link Webster pulled so hard on the dude's real beard that tufts of hair came out. Ouch.

Reply #776951 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/basketball/news/article.cfm?c_id=21&objectid=12288514

Corey Webster
"We were leaving the Perth Arena and I asked the staff if I could take a bottle of water. They said, 'yeah, sure' and then the guy next to the lady said, 'do you want to take some beers?'.

"I didn't take any myself but some of the guys said, 'yeah' and took some. Then a second load of our team came through and saw some guys in front with some drinks and they said, 'can we take some'.

"The guy was on the phone at this time and said, 'let me ask my manager'. He hung up the phone and said, 'yep, that's fine' and they took some. So there definitely, 100 per cent, was nothing taken without asking, or stolen - I can vouch for that with my own eyes and ears, I saw the whole thing."

Reply #776960 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:41 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754