Big Nanna Jones
Years ago

NBL Trading Cards

Any chance we will see some NBL trading cards in the near future? A Illawarra Hawks LaMelo Ball Rookie card would be so cool.

Topic #46414 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still have some from the late 80's and early 90’s. has there been any the last few years?

Reply #776933 | Report this post

Big Nanna Jones  
Years ago

There hasn't been sadly. I wish there was !

Reply #776934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah everything is digital now :(

Reply #776941 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

taipans did a local promotion with Maccas a few years ago where they gave away taipans cards all season. I went in twice and got Aaron fearne both times. go figure..

Reply #776946 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

With NBA cards picking up again, kinda surprised LK hasn't taken up an NBL series.

Good/cost effective promo tool. Plenty of talented Aussie designers who could knock everything out too.

Reply #776948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like someone needs to send LK an email, I'm looking at you ME

Reply #776950 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Couldn't a Hawks connection do some trading cards? I suspect the Ball cards could become collector’s pieces.

First Ever to raise brand profile?

Reply #776953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would need to a very limited amount to give the cards any type of value, it wouldn't be hard to make with a the digital technology that is available now.

Reply #776954 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

A new set of NBL trading cards would be sensational! You could even have a dopes of the NBL subset with Homicide and company. But First Ever should NOT be trusted with this project, their design aesthetic is incredibly dated.

Reply #776974 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I think any "value" would not be monetary...

It would be really great for them to do basketball cards again, kids and adults alike would really love that, but I would imagine the turn around would be tough, especially with how the teams fluctuate at the start of the season...

I used to make my own basketball cards back when I was able to take my camera to games at the SEC and used them as the photos and did all the stats and stuff on the back, got them printed and cut up at Kwik Kopy, if I can do that, I'm sure with the resources available to the NBL, even doing some crowdsourcing to get some fresh designs, it would be possible if they were motivated...

Reply #776980 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Bring back Futura!

Reply #776982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think any "value" would not be monetary...

So the NBL should pump the cards out even if they don't make a profit? Why did they stop making them in the first place?
No value in it for the NBL and that’s monetary.

Reply #777020 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

WookieE can you show us some photos of your work?

Reply #777108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread reminded me I have a bunch of signed SEM Magic and NM Giants cards. Pretty sure I have one of John Dorge dunking on Paul Rees signed by both. Going to have to dig them out for a trip down memory lane.

Reply #777172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a guy on Facebook who makes current NBL cards. Page is called custom NBL basketball cards.

Reply #777277 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@Perthworld they're by no means supposed to be Tyson Beck level quality, but were more for me to use my own pics from when I had a media pass (& decent seats and could take my camera to games) and have something for players to sign when they used to come out after games at the SEC... One of the more significant downsides to Qudos now...

http://imgur.com/gallery/w3CjrYu

Reply #777311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I asked Melbourne United if they would make up a set of the current team for fans, and they said it was too expensive especially because some of the players only stay for one year. Didn't really make sense to me, seems super cheap and a nice souvenir.

Reply #777320 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

WookieE those are pretty legit. Well done.

I love how the very next response details a club saying it's too expensive.

Reply #777338 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

How could it be too expensive to do this on a budget?

I saw the Wookie's efforts. Could individual teams use someone like WookieE to design the cards, and just pay for printing designs submitted electronically. There’s probably people out there who’d do it for seats and a press pass.

Reply #777442 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Thanks Perthworld... They were a big time homage to the very early 90s Upper Deck that were my favourite back in the day... Always cool to have something cool for players to sign that stands out a bit (part of the reason I ended up doing custom Lego figures as well)

Now I think about it, the Kings did player cards last season, and released them over the course of the season... They were pretty decent quality , but more just a standing photo on the front and maybe an action shot on the back with some bio? The exact details escape me, but if last seasons management could figure it out, I'm sure pretty much every other team could... Most teams would have photographers on staff or access to them for photos...

Reply #777559 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

I copied WookieE's design for the Crocs cards a few years back. I remember I got one of each signed by the players and framed them in one big frame. At the mid season luncheon it was auctioned off and went for $1200! Wish I knew who has them now

Reply #778191 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Were the players surprised they were signing trading cards of themselves?

Reply #778290 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Surely its not environmentally friendly to have playing cards any longer.

Reply #778321 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@Rod - Nice! That's a decent sum... I did a similar thing in that link I posted before, first photo I think, when the Kings came back from their "hiatus" and have it on my wall next to the frame they did for their first championship... The Taipans did something similar with their Lego figures, I did a custom Ikea frame with the full team a couple of seasons ago with the logo backing, looked super nice... They auctioned it off for charity and got a couple of grand which was really good...

@Perthworld - Pretty sure they were all really stoked with them, and I had a few doubles as well just in case they wanted them... Rusty Hinder was especially happy when I gave him some extras for his kids as I got him to sign it on his last game at the SEC when it was known he was retiring - he said that he'd never had a card made of him and recognised the style from when he used to collect them as a kid... The Perth guys were always really cool, Damo and Greg especially, and as a Kings fan Redhage was lovely too, which was annoying! Before the cards, I was making my own posters and stuff as well for players to sign, so I had a very small "oh, this guy" sort of "reputation" and that look of half-recognition when I would ask them to sign something different...

Not as weird as when I get players to pose with Lego figures of themselves though... Jawai's face when I asked him for a photo with a little Lego version of him was priceless...

Reply #778360 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow NBL minifigs! Pics of Lego?

Reply #778377 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

If you search NBL lego on the book of faces or instant gram you should be able to find them, not sure the rules around posting links to sites that sell stuff are :)

Reply #778404 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow, how did I not see these before? or even a mention on here.

You have a real talent for this - scrolled down hoping to see some old school figs and wasn't disappointed - the D Mac Giants scowling face is so on point and past/present Gaze Copeland set are amazing.

Current Boomers with accurate hair styles (which would not be easy) were oustanding.

Reply #778417 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Thanks... I'm working on pricing for this season including Boomers in the non-yellow versions which a few people have asked for, but it's tough to get different varying skin tones for different players when they're not available...

Reply #778482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The hawks have basketball cards, at every home game this season they have a different player each game for season ticket holders only tho, I got a lamelo ball card at the hawks v Melbourne United game, I reckon you might see a few on eBay soon.

Reply #785053 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:18 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754