tigs
Years ago

Will The Melbourne Tigers Ever Return?

I know Melbourne United is commercially doing well but I just think they have to rebrand back as Melbourne Tigers. Such a rich history and could create an even bigger rivalry with the Sydney Kings. Is there any chance this could ever happen? I doubt it but I just think it needs too.

I think South East Melbourne Phoenix is going to work, although I was hoping for the Magic to return Phoenix is growing on me and I think it will stick. The name 'United' is much harder for people to get around and I think it has to change even though it’s Larry’s baby.

Topic #46434 | Report this topic

anonny  
Years ago

Gaze to buy a licence and for them to return as a seperate identity

Reply #777429 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Tigers singlets hang on the rafters @ United's home.

The Tigers are there already..in spirit.

Reply #777432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also want the SE Melbourne Magic, Geelong Supercats, Townswille Crocodiles, North Melbourne Giants, Hobart Devils, Canberra cannons to all return to the nbl. Late 80s nbl is the best.

Reply #777433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

united own the tigers nbl brand and history. A seperate Tigers NBL team aint happening

Reply #777434 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No, unless Cram wins a record Powerball jackpot.

Reply #777437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United have had no problems having people get around them, regardless of what you think. The Tigers brand on the other hand had a massive problem with getting support due to the perception of a connection with the Tigers Jr clubs.

So the short answer is no. There is zero chance if it happening, because commercially the brand had become unsustainable.

Reply #777445 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Nope only in NBL1

Reply #777449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sometimes when I'm at work I'll open up a spreadsheet and dream up a league that has the Tigers, Magic, Cannons ect. and I build a 26 game schedule where every team plays each other twice (once at home, once away. If I get a chance, I can kill two hours doing it. And I dream the league continued to grow in the 90s and 00s and was now one of the biggest sports in Australia and the Australian players in the NBA all play in it and the NBL is actually worth watching.

But it's just a spreadsheet dream.

I am not a happy person. I have a sadness deep inside nobody knows about.

Reply #777470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tigers owe Gaze big money, part of why they rebranded.

Reply #777481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No mention of the Newcastle Falcons?

Reply #777483 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"The tigers owe Gaze big money, part of why they rebranded."

I've seen this posted before and its obviously absurd. Changing a team name does not absolve the owners of debts.

For the record, no I don't believe the Tigers will be back in this version of the NBL.

Reply #777533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the tigers!

Reply #777565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I've seen this posted before and its obviously absurd. Changing a team name does not absolve the owners of debts."

It can if the previous business continues to exist with no or very little money, making pursuing them not worthwhile, and a new business is opened separately. Don't know if that happened in this instance though.

Reply #777576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure that if LK owned Gaze money at the time the business was rebranding, it would have been a drop in the ocean in terms of what LK is worth. Would have been more unnecessarily damaging and costly to LK and his new brand to do something shonky to Australian Basketballs favorite son.

So on the face of it, that rumor sounds absurd.

Reply #777577 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754