Jack Toft
Years ago

Cairns v Melbourne Nov 29

Round 9 kicks off with Melbourne travelling to Cairns to face the snakes. Normally I would tip United without hesitation, but the Snakes lose the games they should win and win the games they should not. With Melbourne hot favourites, they should win, but Cairns seem to get these ones out of the blue. I'm as triggered as an NPC trying to work out if it's OK for transgendered women to play with genetic women.

Melbourne have bagged six wins on the trot and it looks like lucky 7 is about to happen. Before too long, they should be in second spot right behind Sydney. Number 2 is a position most Victorians find themselves in, right behind the smug, superior Sydney siders. For Melbourne, Prather is back, but Ili is out.

Shouldn't make much difference to the result, this game is the entree to Sunday's bash with Andrew and the Bogiemen. The only real question is whether Melbourne will go gang busters, or keep some in the tank. That's where the snakes can strike if they really want to, but I think Melbourne will just cruise and try to keep their noses in front by a couple of points all game.

Melbourne by single figures

Topic #46436 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Vickerman go all WWE again

Reply #777491 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

keen to see if Vickerman kicks a chair into the crowd again.

Reply #777546 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good chance for an upset in this one I think, with the Mel-Syd game on Sunday.

Reply #777548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne should win this comfortably, Cairns will be tough early but there bench depth is to week, even there starting five have defensive weaknesses. Melbourne with Long being angry after not playing much last outing and Trimble who has improved out of site will be keen to get a big win. It'll b 10 plus imo.

Reply #777553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.twitch.tv/melbutd
Interested in listening to this

Reply #777598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome! Santamaria and Williams aka Melbourne United cheerleaders....mute!!

Reply #777600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentators praising Melb on ball defence. Mustn't have seen machado dime up deng, hit Oliver on a roll that was fumbled and blow by Trimble for an open 3

Reply #777601 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Can someone please get Shawn long some shorts that are a better fit.

Reply #777602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen Barlow called for three fouls, why do the stats people only have two. Australian stats people are useless.

Reply #777618 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Thought you were supposed to put your hand in the shooters face when guarding.
Didn't know you couldn't do it.
Livingston sounds pretty good (at perth) txt from mark worthington to the telecast, telling them that.

Reply #777619 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Jenni Screen pls be quiet. Kthxbai.

Reply #777625 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

United= Pretenders.
Should be smashing Cairns.
They should be looking at winning this because they won't be beating the Kings.
Could be 1 & 1 but looks like 0 & 2.

Reply #777627 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

A lot of wrist on that block from McCarron.

Reply #777628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United with Trimble are so bad. Just doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.

Reply #777630 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Now it's getting embarrassing for Melbourne.

Reply #777634 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Folks still waaaaaay too keen to write teams off early this season. United could easily take this from here.

Reply #777635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is now as bad as Heal, keeps talking his mates up. Long getting eaten by Oliver and he's still raving that Long best big man in league.

Reply #777638 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

All over for Melbourne with Dead Man aka 'The Corpse' Dave Barlow fouled out!

Reply #777639 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

On this display Kings will beat Melbourne by 20+ on Sunday

Reply #777641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's clear that Melbourne aren’t going anywhere with their defensive issues. Can’t fix Trimble, losing ware for Trimble is a complete makeup change of their whole team defense. Trimble out there with no idea and relies on the help of his team which results in mismatches and players in 2 minds because they know he going to get broken down every time.

Reply #777643 | Report this post

Is it just me or is this female commentator the most annoying commentator there is in Australia? Who is she? Her comments are boring and she loves stating the obvious just to hear her own voice. She makes want to mute the telly..

Reply #777644 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

It's Jenni Screen and apart from listening to her own voice, she LOVES to say "they'll get another opportunity".

Reply #777648 | Report this post

Suck Crap Goulding. How embarrassing.

Reply #777649 | Report this post

Rof  
Years ago

I guess unitrd kryptonite is cairns huh always suck balls vs them

Reply #777650 | Report this post

Jenni Screen.....you are embarrassing. You trying to sound like a basketball expert just sounds like you trying too hard. Please just watch it on telly with the rest of us.

Reply #777654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, bagging screen when she is an opal Olympian and part or the Victorian high performance team.
She knows basketball, she just struggling with commentary.

Reply #777656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman is Kelly's bunny. Long gets lots of boards but so many off his own missed shots. Long and Trimble are terrible defensively, the Melbourne bench has high reputation but not much chop.
If Cairns could beat Illawarra they would be in second place. There imports and Deng have been excellent, Noi and Jawai useful with little bit help from Kenny.

Reply #777658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williams is an embarrassment. And Santamaria should stick to being an analyst. He's a shitty play by play caller. Screen, meh.

Reply #777664 | Report this post

The problem with Screen is she thinks people watching are morons. That we couldnt tell for ourselves someone fouled a player or that they are behing and "need a basket" to catch up. We arent morons and as you are an Olympian, do you really need to point out the basics. Funny...no. Insightful...
No. Easy to listen to....no shane Heal....no. Repetitive and mutable......ABSOLUTELY. I rest my case.

Reply #777666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne so individual this season, no team work, no fluency.

Reply #777670 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Seen Melbourne in losing efforts of late. Long has looked like a cry baby in those losses.He is up when playing well, but when things aren't going well not so much.

Reply #777707 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Prather did as good a job on Machado as anyone I have seen.

Reply #777708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, well done to the Taipans!
Cairns have now proven they are a legitimate contender for a finals spot. They clearly don't have the most talented roster in the league but they play a tough, gritty brand of basketball on both ends and that toughness got them the W last night.

Machado and Oliver were outstanding and really imposed their will the whole game.

Love the way Kelly has Deng focused on both ends. With his and Oliver’s perimeter shooting, they have really opened up a lot of space for Machado, Newbill and Noi to operate in.

Most surprisingly though, Kelly is getting balanced contributions from 8 players despite their apparent lack of depth.

If they are lucky and have no injuries, the Taipans will be really dangerous late in the season. Crazy to think, if Cairns hadn’t dropped 1 of the 3 games they’ve lost to Illawarra they’d be in the top four now.

I think they are definitely better than both Brisbane (the most unbalanced team in the league by far) and Adelaide. It’s really between them and SEM for the fourth spot, withstanding a late season run from NZB but that’s highly unlikely

Reply #777712 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

toni caldwell warning deng for guarding with hand in face and she also stopped mayberry from going to his beloved tv.

Reply #777715 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

How many people here were hypercritical of Kelly in his first season as coach, and early this season?

Imagine a top 4 of Sydney, Perth, MU and Cairns scraping into 4th. If Sydney drop a few games and MU and Perth are close to 1st, which of them would want to match up against Cairns?

Reply #777723 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

My hand is up.
Critical, yes but not hyper-critical.
I genuinely admire the man and think he is a good fit for Cairns.
But it is pretty obvious there is a much more assertive Kelly out there this season.
Why did it take him so long!
And will he build on it?

Reply #777731 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Deng is a beast this year. Should be a lock in for Most Improved.

Reply #777734 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think Drmic's already got one hand on the Most Improved trophy.

Reply #777738 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A #4 Taipans eliminating #1 Kings in the semis would be sweet.

Reply #777753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng got the other hand on MI, still long way to go.

Reply #777755 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A #4 Taipans eliminating #1 Kings in the semis would be sweet.

Not as sweet as the Sixers eliminating the Wildcats

Reply #777756 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Anstey is the worst commentator...by far

Gaze is best followed by Heal.

Reply #777757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze then daylight, Anstey and Hooley not bad.

Reply #777760 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not as sweet as the Sixers eliminating the Wildcats

Which happened not that long ago in an epic series. Too bad they then pissed the opportunity to break such a barren streak and long drought against United.

Reply #777772 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

pissed away*

Reply #777773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many years has it been since Adelaide last won a title?

Reply #777777 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #777778 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Casey Frank....I forgot about Casey Frank, he and Anstey tie for worst commentators.

Reply #777787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:19 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754