Jack Toft
Years ago

Breakers v Hawks Nov 30

The Breakers have nothing but L's against their name and have slumped to bottom of the table. Today the Hawks, who are not without their own issues, will go against them on the Breaker's home pine. It's pretty much a case of who will lose this game. They say one third of Kiwis were extras in LOTR, so can Abba the wizard conjure up a spell to get his team across the line? Corey Webster has a knack of icing a 3 when needed and with Finn Delany back, the funn is back in the team. I feel like I should sip a Guinness each time a commentator mentions his name. That's today's drinking game.

For the Hawks, LaMelo Ball is the glue holding the team together and the only real question is how many brain farts AJ will have today.

Both teams have their own young NBA hero attracting the attention on NBA scouts. There was talk about LaMelo Ball's brother joining the Hawks too. Imagine what Illawarra could achieve if they had a pair of Balls.

Surely the Breakers have got this one?

Topic #46447 | Report this topic

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

This might be the battle for the spoon.

Reply #777724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Next Star program has had a lot of positives. But is this one of the negatives? That if your Next Star commands minutes and plays in a critical position, you may not have the results you want?

Reply #777725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game almost sold out again.

The media keeps talking up that the Breakers are giving away a lot of tickets, but how do you get one of them? It seems that they are selling a lot of tickets and are using clever digital marketing techniques possibly to push to new audiences, particularly the previously I only watch NBA crowd. I wonder if it's been a Hampton / Ball thing this year or if they've made genuine strides in ticket sales or there are mystery giveaway (somewhere).

Reply #777728 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

According to Boti Nagy, NZ are without Webster this week and next, due to the ankle injury last week.

Reply #777746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very tough for Breakers without Webster and Hopson. Loe still out as well. Hawks should win.

Reply #777750 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Lamelo v Harmpton definitely gives Hawks the edge.. Surprised to hear Webster talking up Zac Henry. I have not seen anything to suggest he can dominate at the point. So it comes down to who is going to score 20+for Breakers. Hawks have lifted of late.

Reply #777751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm keen to see if Lamelo and Sunday have mad more improvement to their game.
After seeing’s the videos of melosunday pre game and post game 2 am training sessions I’m beginning to see what it takes to make it to the nba draft.
Maybe all the hawks team need to train this hard, and any young NBL players should take note.

Go melosunday .....or Balldech....what ever sounds best.

Reply #777758 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"I'm keen to see if Lamelo and Sunday have mad more improvement to their game.
After seeing's the videos of melosunday pre game and post game 2 am training sessions I’m beginning to see what it takes to make it to the nba draft.
Maybe all the hawks team need to train this hard, and any young NBL players should take note."

I think you raise a good point.

I see what some NBL players (locals) do in the off-season and it has genuinely made me wonder what guidance/programme the team has over them. You see guys going to F45 type of places every day and then doing a shooting workout once a day and thats it.

Then you see what they doing in the US - 3 a day's covering all on-court skills (the lot) (ball-handling, defence, shooting etc.).

Certainly the difference in "smartness" of training is world's apart.

Reply #777759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep^
Melo has quietly working had behind the scenes and its paying off, what I didn't realise was Sunday was doing the same, Sunday has made huge improvements in his game and if he keeps going like this, maybe he will make to the nba.
Makes me think a bigger effort is needed by all the young and not so young NBL players.

Reply #777761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi, Where can I find the latest team list?

Reply #777763 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL has always been a very lazy league but part of it is having more structure in place for players especially in the off season.

Reply #777764 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

I hate seeing team's decimated by injuries, you would want to test yourself against the a full team.

Breakers have had no luck thus far and in sport you need a bit along the way to get you a chip. Adversity make's a team a culture and a club.

They have been a great team for a long time, personally there has been no transition from the old to the new.

Got a lot of respect for that ball club maybe because the pain we have gone through the most recently.

Reply #777765 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Committee won't do it for Breakers. Somebody has to step up and get 20+. Henry or Hampton only options really.

Reply #777766 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Crowds still looking good for NZ despite all the turmoil.

Reply #777767 | Report this post

Aussiepride  
Years ago

Yes, Sensational crowd!

Reply #777769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers playing some defence and getting the chance to run.

Reply #777770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok is not NBL standard.

Reply #777771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie shutting down Melo.

Reply #777775 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Their next crowd figure sans Ball in opposition will be interesting.

Reply #777776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You talk shit Perthworld.
We don't care.

Reply #777779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carry, carry, carry, rewarded with 2 FTS.

Refs wonder why they are treated the way they are....

Reply #777781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't majok and deng get any minutes?

Reply #777782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they're shithouse players.

Reply #777783 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Loving having real commentators.

Reply #777784 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers showing some heart.
Hopefully it continues in the 3rd quarter.

Reply #777786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok can't keep up with the game speed. Deng should be given some minutes, but Ngatai hasn’t been too bad defensively.

Reply #777788 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sweet Caroline at a basketball game? F'ing LOL.

Reply #777789 | Report this post

Ware2Bogut  
Years ago

Josh Boone is so washed up

Reply #777790 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Let me start again Lamelo v Hampton ADVANTAGE BREAKERS.

Reply #777791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson is ageless. Still better than anyone on Melbourne bench.

Reply #777793 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Finn Delany has really been dynamic. The kid's got hops!!

Reply #777794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it supposed to be 69 points?

Reply #777796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOT ALLOWED TO ROLL?!

Reply #777798 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Score is off

Reply #777799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We want RJ goes up in the stadium.

Reply #777800 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Transfer hungry jacks deal to Australia. Genius idea.

Reply #777802 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Really foolish foul on Dech

Reply #777804 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Ball just got REKT

Reply #777806 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Now I see what Corey was on about!!!!!! (with Henry).

Reply #777808 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Much more entertaining game than expected. Henry hell of a quarter.

Reply #777810 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Tim Coenraad is 100

Reply #777812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great second half of game. NZ deserved winners. Ball is a freak and Hampton is very good as well.

Reply #777816 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great for NZ's morale to finally get a win.
Hopefully Loe, Hopson & Webster can get back for the next game.

Reply #777826 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Drinks are on the house tonight.

Reply #777827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Isn't it supposed to be 69 points?)

Yep

Reply #777832 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I told you guys Sek would drop 20+

Reply #777836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good work ^

Reply #777841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok so Blanchfield, ogilvy, Boone and the rest of the bench besides Coenraad should be in the gym 2am tonight.

Reply #777844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone as I have said al season is broke.

Reply #777849 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah, I've been saying he was cooked since last season.

Reply #777855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks should get a decent import to play at the four. Ball, Dech, Coenraad, Import, Anderson to start. Ogilvy and Blanchfield are shit.

Reply #777858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers still have problems

sek over dribbles and poor shot selection. Ngatai couldnt guard Ball. Hampton should have been subbed on earlier. No set plays.

Thought the coaching was average.

Reply #777859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ngatai did a good job. Ngatai wasn't there to lock Ball down, he was there because he had the length to contest Ball but had the experience and IQ to switch correctly off ball on certain Hawks actions. That’s why RJ was off because RJ gets lost defensively and doesn’t communicate with his teammates very well at times.

No set plays? They repeatedly ran a simple shuffle cut, down screen into high pick and roll. Shamir is running really simple sets, doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

Reply #777882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Shamir is running 5 out and very basic on ball screens. In the second half anyway. Those sek Henry shots were big, but low percentage off if poor offence. Compared to what other teams, it is a very low level of execution.

Ngatai didn't influence the game at all. He has very little length and Ball got to key at will with Ngatai guarding him. That was how the hawkes came back into the game.

Hampton is statistically our best defensive player, the narrative that he gets lost is weak.

Is Rice still in new Zealand?

Reply #777941 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Rice is in NZ until at least February for his next court appearance I believe.
Sek Henry put the the team on his back in the 4th.
He was NZ's primary offensive target who could create opportunities so Shamir wanted the ball in his hands.

Reply #777943 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Yes that Set was smart. Put the 3 away until he got his confidence going with driving to hoop.

Reply #777944 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He finishes well for his size at the rim

Reply #777945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" No Shamir is running 5 out and very basic on ball screens. In the second half anyway"

Lol is all I can say.

“ Those sek Henry shots were big, but low percentage off if poor offence. Compared to what other teams, it is a very low level of execution.”

The execution was to keep the ball in his hands and play off that. Ilawarra could not contain him. Late game they also tried to double Henry, which is also why Breakers had spread the floor and Illawarra struggles to defend the athleticism across the floor. Watch Abercrombie and Hampton's dunks, it’s really simple offence and it works, but perhaps it relies on a bit better decision making and discipline not to put up bad shots.

Reply #777952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any idea on the amount of viewers from last nights game yet?
The hawks v taipans game last week had 10 million viewers across all social media platforms.

Reply #777962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The execution was to keep the ball in his hands"

Yes, one on five.

"And yes it works"

Yes it is swell

Reply #778032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754