Jack Toft
Years ago

Kings v United Dec 1

United: "OK boys, let's cruise up to FNQ, snorkel with the turtles, watch a cane toad race, milk the snakes, dethrone the Kings, then have tofu burgers in Brunswick afterwards Sunday Night"
Cairns: Hold my gin and juice.
Sydney: Yes, Yes, let the hurt flow United, we don’t serve soy lattes at this venue.

United would be looking to go at least 1 & 1 this round, hoping for 2 & 0, now it looks like it could be zip and two. Cairns took care of business Friday night and now the Iceman Emperor has assembled Sith Lord Bogieman and the Knights of Hoops. The only thing on the menu today is pain served with a side salad of pain.

I had this Kings v United game as the MOTR. I still think it will probably be the GF Preview, but anything can happen. The Kings are the team to beat this season and are fluid in their execution. United are more of a confidence team. When they have their confidence they can go 6 straight win, but were they too busy focussing on today on Friday?

Sunday afternoon sessions are the Kings timeslot. I'm thinking the game will be tight, but the Sydney Siths should have the measure of the Melbourne boys.

Topic #46455 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see Melbourne recovering from Cairns trip. They haven’t looked that great even in there wins. Sydney be eight.

Reply #777957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kings are jedi's

Reply #777963 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Toss a coin. Melbourne could bounce either way after the Cairns loss, Long in particular.

Reply #777966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put the whistle away ffs

Reply #777988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like watching Adelaide play. Sydney with more free throws than Melbourne have points! Will Vickermann pull a Weaver and get booted for the calls to even up a little?

Reply #777990 | Report this post

Refs suck as usual. Foul on Bogut was a Trimble flop...(who is a massive flopper)! Great game by Barlow so far.

Reply #777991 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Melbourne playing some matador D on the perimeter. Ware just blowing by Melo like he isn't there.

Reply #777992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Trimble bloke is flopping more than Redhage used to.

Reply #777994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another Aylen special. Absolutely pathetic.

Reply #778001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you get to this level and have no idea how to play defense

Reply #778002 | Report this post

Great game Barlow. Huge impact for Melbourne.

Reply #778005 | Report this post

Great game Barlow. Huge impact for Melbourne.

Reply #778006 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Interior D for United just woeful today. That's been the story of the game.

Reply #778007 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

These referees are terrible. So many incorrect calls and seem to be guessing most of the time. That ethnic looking ref has been crap in every game I've seen this year. Surely better refs calling c grade

Reply #778009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Melbourne playing a zone? Is it to cover the fact that Trimble has no idea what defense is? Because I'm pretty sure he looks more lost in a zone than man. Then again he probably would foul out in a man.

Reply #778010 | Report this post

Funny how all these complaints about ref calls were not there when Sydney lost to Melbourne in melbourne on ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC 4th quarter calls. How does a taste of your own medicine feel melbourne fans? You sound as salty as Big Trev at Perth. Just waiting for all of the Sydney are buying a championship comments now.

Reply #778012 | Report this post

Noufy  
Years ago

I was looking forward to a good contest, but it was destroyed by the refs.

Reply #778018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referees an absolute joke in this game. Considering Weaver's meltdown over 1 bad call in Melbourne, I’m surprised Vickerman didn’t completely lose it.

Reply #778026 | Report this post

Power  
Years ago

Agree the refs were terrible but united's defence is worse . Time after time sydney were given open lanes

Reply #778027 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, Sydney were beating Melo off the dribble, getting inside, and then scoring or drawing fouls at absolute will. I did think the Kings got a Perth-esque 'homecourt benefit of the doubt' on some calls, but I don't think that was the difference. Kings approached the game like United were undersized which, with Long's inability to defend at the rim without fouling and Barlow's inability to match Tate physically, they kinda were.

Prather looks rusty and should not be playing PG but I think they really miss his ability to penetrate with the other guys they have on the roster.

Reply #778038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about bogut's flop which led to Long fouling out. It is easily the worst performance from referees over the course of a game I’ve witnessed in 30 years.

Reply #778039 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not even close to the worst refereeing performance this season, let alone 30 years.

Reply #778040 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Although I want to watch the replay again. Bogut did definitely flop, no question, but seen that same thing called god knows how many times by NBL refs.

Reply #778041 | Report this post

Power  
Years ago

As a united supporter whingeing about refs is counter productive .Our defence is s joke . When you start coaching kids the first thing you do is teach them to be accountable on defence .United are not

Reply #778058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne's Trimble, Long, Prather and Goulding struggle defensively, Trimble can score 30 plus but it doesn’t cover his defensive liabilities. McCarron got five points of his seven in garbage time, Newley and Didi just to long and quick for him.
You add Lisch, Moller and Cook to that side who are all quality defenders and will make it even tougher.

Melbourne’s bench is ordinary, certainly defensively but offensively poor as well. Casper left due to a dispute or lies told to him but why let Moller go, when all they’ve recruited can’t play D. Big names don’t win premierships, teams do.

Reply #778067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see Purchase get some minutes.

Reply #778069 | Report this post

Couldn't have said it better myself 778067. With that type of rational thinking you mustnt be a diehard melbourne irrational fanboy. Way better insight than that idiot Corey.

Reply #778070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble and Long played exactly the same last season and both there teams sucked. Long gets offensive boards, a lot of them put backs and cheap points, Trimble can score in heart beat but let's points in half a heart beat. Nothing has changed.
Sydney seem to be trying to follow a similar path to Perth, load up as many good Aussie players and put two good imports around them. Didi obviously a bonus, but as it stands within the rules. Bogut a gun , Newley having a great season, Lisch is great and will be when gets over injury. Walker and Kickett to old professionals that play when required. Moller and Bruce been great selections and now getting Cook coming off injury is the final piece. Hunter is young and learning.

Reply #778103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny to watch Weaver's press conference - he said that the referee crew in today’s game was the best. That’s no surprise given they were in Sydney’s back pocket all game.

Reply #778119 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Saying the Kings had the refs in their backpocket ignores the heat the Kings were putting on the rim. The first Q where United racked up a ton of fouls and the Kings a ton of FTs, at one stage (maybe 5-6 mins in), the Kings had not take a single shot outside the paint. The two times in the game where United began to chip away at the lead were the times the Kings went away from that and started becoming perimeter orientated. Seems to me that's the way to beat United this season, take advantage of the weak perimeter D to attack the basket and draw fouls on Long or score easy baskets.

Reply #778179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What about bogut's flop which led to Long fouling out. It is easily the worst performance from referees over the course of a game I've witnessed in 30 years."

Either you haven't watched a lot of games in 30 years or you still don't know the rules.

Reply #778186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Sydney seem to be trying to follow a similar path to Perth, load up as many good Aussie players and put two good imports around them"

They have four.

Reply #778189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow complaining when he ran into Ware on a moving screen was laughable, I'm glad the refs are cutting down on illegal screens. You start to see good offence rewarded.

Reply #778192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Funny to watch Weaver's press conference - he said that the referee crew in today's game was the best. That’s no surprise given they were in Sydney’s back pocket all game."

Hey mate, YOU'RE an IDIOT! Did you even watch when Sydney lost to the refs, or specifically Vaughn Mayberry, in Melbourne? You are a joke of the highest order!

Reply #778195 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Kings game plan strategy "take the ball to the hoop" exposed Melbourne's porous defence.

Reply #778199 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

lol... back pocket, alright...

Tate was great again today, Mr Consistency has been the team MVP this season hands down... His ability to take Barlow out of the game was as key as Casper being able to get the basket at will...

Bogut being able to have a single-single and still win, while only needing to play 20mins will pay off in the long term...

Lisch coming back (when?) will just make them more dangerous, but being able to fit both him and Cooks into an already stacked line-up will be tough and hopefully it's not reminiscent of the Kings replacing an underwhelming import a few seasons ago when they were top of the ladder in the first half of the season to only go tits up by the end...

Reply #778201 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm very glad the NBL is doing so well atm, is what I dreamed of back in the 00's when I was a volunteer at press conferences after games with 2,400 people, and doing game write ups, player interviews and MP3 packages for the Melbourne Tigers

Life circumstances change, and where I used to go watch NBL every week or two, I haven't made it yet this season

But if reffing like that continues , I'm nOT sure I'll bother

Fairly sure I tuned to Viceland to watch basketball. Now nearing the end of the game, Barlow just fouled out and I'm wondering if some netball umpires turned up at the wrong stadium and nobody realised

"Administrative error" perhaps

Reply #778205 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And don't get me wrong, Sydney thoroughly deserves to win, and by a large margin

I'd rather see basketball reffing and Sydney win 106-90 instead of netball with 125-103 or whatever the final score ends up being (still 7 minutes to go as I write this)

Reply #778209 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cos, you aren't allowed to...

- Compete for a rebound. Refer the foul on Walker

- Touch an opponent. Refer the foul on Newley drawn by Goulding

- Defend a guy driving to the hoop. Refer Barlows 5th

However, you are allowed to engage in theatrics and you will often get rewarded for it. Refer myriad of examples, eg

- Taylor drawing the foul on Goulding,

- Trimble acting with regularity because that's what the NBL refs have taught him he can do. Kicking his legs out purely to draw fouls. And then getting frustrated on occasions when the refs don't actually call the softest of contact!

-Long trying to box out Bogut and this 7 foot, broad shouldered, 15 year NBA veteran and all defensive teamer hitting the deck like he just got nailed by a Barry Hall shirt front. Bogut is smart, it hasn't taken him long to learn the NBL way.

Just when this comedy of officiating malady couldn't get any less palatable, they found a way to ping Goulding for 2 fouls on the same possession.

Way to ruin what should've been a good game

Reply #778215 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just after writing all that, turn the game back on. Foul on Louzada, Smith Milner going to the line for a 3 point play

Watched replay 3 times, can't see why Didi got a foul

Ruining what could be a good display of basketball by turning it into netball

Reply #778217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding fouled the guy he was defending, then decided to wrap his hands around the back his head and drag him down. I'm not sure you really want to be blaming the refs for that.

Reply #778229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone else at the Kings game yesterday notice the court announcer calling Jo Lual-Acuil Jnr "junior"?

Seemed pretty disrespectful to me. Shouldn't he have done some research to learn the pronunciation of the players' names ahead of the game given he's the court announcer? Or just taken an interest in Melbourne United and learnt his name over the course of the season thus far?

Does this mean he's going to start calling Casper Ware "junior"? Or John Roberson "the third"?

Not a good look for the self-proclaimed 'hoops capital'.

Reply #778243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go away junior

Reply #778246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He calls Casper ghost, he has name for all players, not certain your problem, he's always respectful to players.

Reply #778249 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hoops Capital lol

Reply #778256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know he calls players by their nicknames. Stuff like calling Walker 'Waxy' and Casper 'the Ghost' is fine.

My point was, it sounded like he looked at Lual-Acuil Jnr's name, drew a blank, and decided calling him 'Junior' was OK because that was the last part of the name.

If he gets called Junior regularly, I stand corrected.

Reply #778260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find it's Roberson the fourth. (IV).

Reply #778261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ right you are. Hopefully The Fourth continues to drain plenty of threes.

Reply #778263 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:24 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754