Anonymous
Years ago

Thon Maker's future in the NBA

Fourth season into NBA career.
Can't see him improving at all so far still only "22".

Anyone think he will get better or does he have NBL or Europe ahead ?

Topic #46457 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's shooting 46% from three this season: 13 percent better than his career average.

Reply #777985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is nearing retirement age. Probably only got another year or two in him

Reply #777986 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

60%+ from three in November.

Is he injured or out of favour? Saw he DNPed last game. From 19 MPG last season to 12 this season. Might need a change of scenery, but didn't he angle for a trade to get that last season?

Reply #777989 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Have been following Thon's fate closely since the pre-season.

Seems to me that he's cooked as a top-10 rotation guy.

Was essentially between him and Christian Wood for the backup four minutes. Wood has easily outplayed him. Coach Bud has previously said he loves Thon's motor and that Wood lacked the same go, but appears Wood has improved and is now producing well in his 14 minutes per game.

Maybe down the track Thon gets another shot with a non-contending team who has nothing to lose. Maybe NBL teams see the writing on the wall and try and nab him.

Reply #777996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney will probably sign him

Reply #777998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could see another NBA team picking him up for a veterans minimum next season

Reply #777999 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

People said that Maker was better than Kay lolz! Dudes a bum

Reply #778021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" People said that Maker was better than Kay lolz! Dudes a bum "

Then why is kay not in the nba ? he can't even get into a nba d league team. Maybe you know more than the nba scouts ?

Reply #778059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think thon has improved this year. His strength, his 3 pts shooting has all improved.
He is just out of favour now.

Reply #778065 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Don't let Thor’s 3pt% fool you. He’s not even shooting one three per game so far this season, he shot 2.5 last.

Reply #778071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney won't take him, Weaver picks players that play D, Maker jacks threes in his bare minutes and not much else. 7’ plus and can’t chew gum and walk.

Reply #778076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

S,e phoenix would be a good place for him imo.

Reply #778078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Send him to a Charlotte Hornets type team. Nothing to lose there, let it fly!

Reply #778089 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #778196 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Unfortunately for Thon, with Drummond and Griffin the de facto starting big men, and Markieff Morris the first guy off the bench behind them, it means Thon's fighting for minutes with Wood, and Wood has been better (I was surprised some other teams didn’t go after him following how he finished last season). That just leaves spot minutes, which without injuries, probably means he’s not going to see too much time.

Reply #778208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thon is a solid player but he's not getting the best out of his game atm. I don’t think he needs to be in the NBL just yet but if he was he would be like the Bruce Lee of Australian basketball, fly kicking the NBL’s ass one team at a time and their fans.

Reply #778210 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

He's still young enough and has enough good moments that he'll keep getting opportunities at NBA level. There's always a chance he takes a real leap, but in all likelihood he's a deep rotation guy, and that's fine.

Reply #778214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Young enough maybe, there's plenty people in Perth that disagree with that and the odd school photo around that probably shows otherwise.

Reply #778250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wood had a big game today too, which won't help Thon.

Reply #778253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

School photo that is not 100% conclusive.

Reply #778259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It won't happen, but i reckon a season in the NBL could be good for him. Get some good minutes, work on his game, get some confidence, show NBA teams what he can do.

Reply #778264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is the school photo not conclusive?

If I remember correctly, him and his camp never actually denied that photo etc wasn't him. They just brushed the issue off.

Problem with faking your age. Makes you look great but when the potential shelf life is shortened as you can’t fake Father Time, guys who fake get found out down the other end.
Was Ater Majok in the same boat?

Reply #778275 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I remember at the height of the age debate on here anyone who suggested he faked it got hounded. People power (i.e. the sheep) also helped in brushing the issue aside.

Reply #778283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His passport says he was born in 1997. So he is 22 year old.

Reply #778287 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Exhibit A.

Reply #778291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His lack off getting better is either down to age or ability. It's ok to take all the good news but you have to perform and so far it ain’t happening.

Reply #778293 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Then why is kay not in the nba ? he can't even get into a nba d league team. Maybe you know more than the nba scouts ?"

I am getting really sick of reading this kind of reasoning. It lacks nuance or basic understanding of why the NBA recruits the way they do.

For one, Thon Maker is a long, athletic and agile seven-footer. You don't need to have too many things going for you if you have those attributes for an NBA team to at least look in your direction.

Secondly, Thon was recruited on potential. Thon 'potentially' has more potential than Nick Kay. Couple that a long with the physical gifts he has an it's an obvious pick.

But does that mean he brings more to a team than Nick Kay could today? No it doesn't. Why? Because let's say Nick Kay is a 6 out of 10 basketball player. But let's say 6 out of 10 is around his ceiling. Does the NBA pick him up, or Thon Maker, who may be a 5 or a 6 out of 10 basketball player, but IF (and it's a big if), he gets himself together, could become an 8 out of 10 player, who do you pick?

The answer is obvious, and that's why Thon Maker is in the NBA and Nick Kay is not.

Reply #778298 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Thon has flashes but starting to look like he'll never be more than a 10th/12th guy.

doesn't looks like he has the skill set/body to play as an import in the major European leagues/Euro league so perhaps NBL is his best bet to cash in after the NBA.

as long as Thon doesn't call Ater Majok for career advice he'll be ok.

Reply #778313 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Watching his highlights from last season, you'd have to think he has a bit more time in the NBA to prove himself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqrZgod2vIc

Reply #778317 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think he has at least a season or two. But by 25 if he isn't making it happen he'll be dropped.

Reply #778319 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Hope he does have more time but its all about finding the right situation in the NBA, the right situation is the difference between his next contract and the NBL.

See: Torrey Craig/Delly as the perfect examples

Reply #778320 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

That's right, its all about the right opportunity and then making the most of it.

I can't see him falling out of the league altogether though. His combination of size, length, agility and shooting means he'll at least be a solid late rotation guy.

Reply #778357 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't really watch the NBA or Maker, so I'm no expert on his role or how valued he is in the NBA.
From what I have seen, I imagine he's used predominately as an athletic rim-protector??

When he moved across to Detroit last season, he averaged almost 20 minutes a game, so I have to assume they saw some value in what he did. Now it seems he has been pushed back in the rotation to around 12 minutes.

So perhaps its fair to say that he's never going to be a 30 minute star, but I assume a guy managing 12 minutes still has value.
I'd also hazard a guess that he'll probably move again as he looks to find a home seeking his particular skills.

As it stands, I don't really see him in the NBL.
Would he transform into a big minutes starting scorer? Because I don't think he wants to play for what bench-players get.

Reply #778376 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

In the right situation it might work for his skill set. Unfortunately that was probably next to Giannis, in the BroLo role. Unfortunately he just never found consistency there.

Reply #778469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:56 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754