Perthworld
Years ago

Kings with a historical ladder lead after 9 rounds

I was reading some boring standard article about Lisch returning from injury bla bla bla yadda yadda yaddaa but then it included this stat:

They [Sydney] have the biggest ladder lead by any team at the end of round nine in NBL history, three and a half games ahead of second-placed Perth (8-5).

Damn.

Topic #46475 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL records are being broken every week atm.

Reply #778615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the 40min game.

Reply #778617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld had to get a reference to the Pussy Cats in there somewhere...

Reply #778626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He copy and pasted it from an NBL article.

Reply #778631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's nice Perthworld thanks for telling us.

Reply #778632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for fixing the thread title.

Reply #778638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"an historical"

Reply #778648 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely a.........an before a vowel

Reply #778653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have sides gone on to win the premiership or is it a false dawn.

Reply #778656 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

An asperate h requires "an" not "a" as the "h" is not pronounced. "an historic"

Reply #778661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing that can stop the Kings from winning the title this season is the refs.

Reply #778664 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"The only thing that can stop the Kings from winning the title this season is the refs."

And a good old choke.

Reply #778665 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

and a Bogut brain-fart or two

Reply #778668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injuries.

Reply #778672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arthritis and other age related issues might slow down the Kings.

Reply #778675 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Injuries is a good one too, they aren't spring chickens, it would take multiple injuries though, would be rare for Lisch, Bogut and Newley all to go down at the same time.

Reply #778677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not fair. Sydney cheated. Perth should be in this position if Sydney didnt cheat.

Reply #778682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didi about to bail and go back to USA soon tho apparently?

Reply #778699 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Has anyone noticed how calm Will Weaver is?

Reply #778700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didi confirmed last week he is here for full season.

Reply #778703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a next star Didi wants to maximise his chances of being a high pick on the draft.

Reply #778715 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

FWIW, the NFL uses this metric to compare the relative strength of teams' draws in the run to the end of their season. The metric is the average winning percentage of opponents in the remaining games to be played.

Using this metric, the Kings have a relatively weak draw remaining. Their remaining opponents' winning percentages average to 45.8%. Only Brisbane (45.7%) and Adelaide (45.6%), have (slightly) weaker draws.

In contrast, Illawarra have the toughest draw remaining (55.4%), followed by Perth (54.0%) and Cairns (51.8%).

The other three teams are SE Melbourne (50.0%), Melbourne (48.7%) and NZ (48.3%).

So this metric would suggest Sydney are well placed to remain way ahead of the pack.

Reply #778720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NFL is American so that formula is imperial, not metric

Reply #778723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So this metric would suggest Sydney are well placed to remain way ahead of the pack."
Great, and for the idiot that is talking about a "metric Vs Imperial" I hope he stays in his on back metre, cos we are Metric and you can't stay in your own back YARD no can you.

Reply #778747 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If Bogut and Casper stay healthy, Sydney should be the hottest favorites since...I'm not sure when.

Doesn't guarantee them victory.

But, they don't seem to have a weakness that is easily identifiable. Given we're almost halfway through the season, I'm not expecting one to emerge.

They're the real deal. The only loss they had was when Weaver and Didi missed the 2nd half, and Taylor was fresh off the plane. And they lost by 3 points.

Reply #778766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne on paper have still the strongest team and I no games are not won on paper but there squad is the best.

Reply #778816 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sydney have 2 players who are more valuable than anyone on United's roster. 2 players you'd rather take into a playoff series.

Since Cooks arrival Their roster superior to anyone's on paper. No question.

Reply #778897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which two players, the media keep telling us Long and Trimble are the best in there positions, so it can't be those two. As I said on paper before the season Melbourne were favourites even with the bookies. Melbourne even released Moller and if you really want Ware you could have made him an offer he could not refuse. You thought you had better players.

Reply #778908 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Pre season favouritism means nothing, no one knew how good Tate and Didi are or how the teams would fit together

No one knew whether Will Weaver was the next Dean Demopoulos or the next Brett Brown, or the next Goorj. We now know he can coach.

Casper and Trimble- They're both elite players. Trimble is elite at one end of the court but Casper is elite at both!

Long is a better scorer than Bogut obviously, but Bogut is better at everything else- rim protecting, defensive positioning, passing, screening, rebounding, moving without the ball

Do you take the 2 young guys,or the 2 experienced pros who've won championships in France, NBL, NBA?

Reply #778973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Sydney new management and owners put a decent team on the floor and get a decent coach that no one saw coming and everyone gets on the hate wagon.
It was Melbourne decision to take Long and Trimble. At end last season Ware wasn't going that well and Melbourne went looking elsewhere even Boone complained he was just shafted with out notice. Now everyone is complaining.

Reply #778983 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Look, if United seriously had the opportunity to re- sign Casper, but chose to sign Trimble instead for the same money, then they're just bloody idiots

I don't believe that for a second though. Trimble is a kid who had one good season, he doesn't have a resume like Caspers, so he simply isn't worth the same money

Reply #778989 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And I should add, Trimble had one good season for a bottom team

Reply #778991 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#983 Ware wasn't "going that well" because he had switched off after setting up and catching Crudelli lying to him about salaries when Kennedy told him his contract amount. He wasn't going to play for Utd with Vince around.

Boone was cooked so naturally was cut.

Reply #778997 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Casper finished a close 2nd in MVP

Destroyed Sydney in semi finals

Less than stellar GF by his usual standards, although that was his D on Cotton was impressive

Not sure where you get the idea he "wasn't going well"

29 years old, first team all NBL last 3 years, elite at both ends, proven playoff performer, legend of the NBL

United lost their main man.

Melbourne's loss, Sydney's gain

Sydney clearly has the better roster and it starts with Casper, and Bogut too

Reply #779049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Perfworld. How cares. Don't take the bait LV.

Reply #779052 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LOL, the difference one round makes.

Reply #779474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How so? The Kings are still the top I believe?

Reply #779500 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This round changed nothing

Sydney had nothing to play for, and got beaten by a couple of terms who are hungry and played great games.

They won't finish 25-3 either, they'll probably lose more games but they still look like the best team out there. Except in the eyes of a few rusted on Perth fans.

Reply #779504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to play for? How do you figure that?

Reply #779510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sydney had nothing to play for"

If Sydney won both games, meaning perth lost friday, and let's just say Perth hypothetically might have lost today against SEM too without the confidence and momentum from spanking Sydney on Friday....Sydney would be 13-1, Perth would be 8-7 and Melbourne 8-6. Sydney could have almost locked up top spot this weekend if they had that massive lead half way though the season.

Instead they are 11-3 with Perth not far behind at 10-5. Could be a costly weekend late in the season.

Reply #779513 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sydney had a lot less to play for than their opponents

Theoretically every game is the same but we all know that doesn't match reality.

This is a bit like that age old debate about every minute and every referee decision being of equal importance. But, if every minute is worth the same, why does a coach rest their star player when their star has 4 fouls? (Mike Kelly notwithstanding after playing Machado in this situation vs NZ!). If the backup has 1 foul and can easily play out a quarter, why does the backup usually play, until the last 5 minutes of the game?

Some would say all the coaches are just wrong. Maybe so.

Anyway, Sydney- WIN, and you're 5 games clear on top. LOSE, and you're 3 games clear on top. Doesn't make much difference really.

Perth - Win, and solidify 2nd spot. LOSE- the immense pressure builds, the knives are out, you're only a game or 2 inside the top 4. Sydney maintains their psychological edge over you, and you start doubting whether you can actually beat them in finals.

Perth were always going to be hungry after being spanked in front of their home crowd, yet again

Sydney needed a wake up call, you learn more from losing than you do from winning. Weaver would be losing zero sleep over those losses

Reply #779514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like how you answered the question by referencing one of your most bizarre arguments from Hoops lore.

Obviously teams can get complacent when winning by big margins, or when they are head and shoulders above the rest of the pack, but to say they had nothing to play for is pretty idiotic.

Reply #779515 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If you can't work out that "nothing to play for" was a shorthanded way of saying "Significantly less to play for than their respective opponents this weekend" then I really can't help you

Reply #779520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahaha so its our fault you said one thing but meant something else?

Reply #779521 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Peak LV right here.

Reply #779522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've never read a forum with so many regulars who are this mental. I love it.

Reply #779523 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I love this forum

My general assumption is I'm communicating with adults who can comprehend English at a high school level, but apologies for over estimating your abilities!

Reply #779525 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

You dont need to fight every fight LV, most understood you.

Reply #779528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ I like how you based your username off the way Bryce Cotton plays

Reply #779532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We did comprehend English. You just decided to change what you meant midway through the discussion when questioned about your comment.

Reply #779546 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754