m dizzle
Years ago

Phil, Kobe, and the lakers

Phil Jackson is looking to implement the same strategies he used with his championship winning bulls to the current Lakers. The triangle offense and a focus on defensive pressure.

When looking at the two teams there are definate similarities

Jordan - Kobe
Pippen - Odom
Longley - Mihm

I am in no way saying kobe, odom, and mihm r equivalent to jordan, pippen, and longley however they can play the same roles for Phil. Scottie Pippen has been brought in to mentor Odom and just as Pippen did Odom is going to be shouldering a large amount of the ball handling duties. Kareem Abdul Jabeer has also been brought in to work with the big men most notbaly Kwame Brown.

Im not saying the Lakers are going to have Chicago like success but if Phil can implement the same strategies the Lakers, in my mind, will be a greatly improved team.

Topic #4649 | Report this topic

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Yes m dizzle there are definate similarities there. The only difference is i dont see any of those lakers being as good as their bulls equivalents. Unfortunately i dont ever see them being as good. I think the lakers will struggle again this season.

Reply #53896 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

It comes down to this - phil, kobe and NO shaq = no rings for LA. Even if this system works all they'll do is win 45-50 games and just sneek into the playoffs, to be knocked out in 5, maybe even 4 games.
maybe down the road, if they either get kwame playing well or find another good bigman, we will be seeing them in the west finals, but not for a couple of years.

Reply #53941 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

I think people have mis-understood me, i am NOT saying the lakers are championship material, merely that they will be an improved team.

I was pointing out the similarity between the two teams not proclaiming the Lakers as one of the top teams in the NBA, as i think they will only be a low seed in the the west.

Reply #53945 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think the Lakers will struggle to make the playoffs in the West. They ain't even the best team in LA anymore (I can't believe I just said that!!!!!!!!!)

M Diz, I agree, both squads have their dynamic pair, but the supporting cast of the Bulls was way better. Grant, Rodman, Harper, Pax, Kerr, Kukoc etc etc are way better than the supporting cast on the Fakers.

I think Odom will be traded by the All-Star game as I don't think he and Kobe can work. Ruin to the Lakers, it's great...... You never ever trade away a dominate big man.

Just ask the Bucks about trading dominate centres.......

Reply #53962 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:56 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754