Anonymous
Years ago

The No Rules Kings

Kings sign Taylor as injury replacement for Lisch>

Lisch returns and Taylor is still playing.

They don't even pretend anymore. What's next, we let them have 6 players on the court?

Topic #46493 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are all out tonight, #Numpties.

Reply #779104 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

SHITNEY

OI

SHITNEY

OI

SHITNEY SHITNEY SHITNEY

OI OI OI

Reply #779105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what's next is a bunch of dickhead Perth fans jump on here and circle jerk themselves into conspiracy theory nirvana..

Reply #779106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor kept his place because Moller is out injured, I'm certain the kings would prefer to have Moller out there fit and playing. Cook was not ready to play this week but hopefully Cook and Moller will be available next week and Taylor will be gone.

Reply #779110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor is now playing as an injury replacement for Moller.

Reply #779111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Five imports. Ware Lisch Taylor Didi Tate. Still cant beat us.

Reply #779112 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Lisch isn't an import dickhead

Reply #779113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are all the salty Sydney fans tonight?

Reply #779114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney has no fans they just have bandwagoners who appear when Melo comes to town

Reply #779116 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

11 & 2. Not bad. Something Perth won't ever be this year.

Reply #779117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch's birth certificate says America. He is not Australian. Five imports. Did he give up us US citizenship or is he a dual citizen now? I can go to China and do some test and pledge my allegiance to their country, but guess what, I'm still not Chinese. Just calling a spade a spade. Lisch is American.

Reply #779118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Joe, I guess we will just have to be happy being reigning champs, right? And winners. Winners are grinners. How does it feel right now?

Reply #779119 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

11 & 2. And I don't have to live in Perth so I feel pretty good. See you when you come to the city. Not that hard to win at home.

Reply #779128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you please show me a photo of the trophy or banner you get for being 11 and 2? Thanks in advance.

Reply #779130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redage, Grace where were birth certificates, fuck me some Perth supporters are dumber than dog shit.

Reply #779131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You forgot Scott Fisher. But even with those guys, Perth never lost a single game where we played five imports in the same active game.

Reply #779133 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Are Perth fans poorer winners or losers? It's hard to say.

Reply #779134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Taylor is now playing as an injury replacement for Moller."

Well apart from the fact that is specifically not allowed under the rules,

according to Sydney fans its not possible because Moller is only earning like $20k

Reply #779137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rules are made to be broken, right? To be fair Taylor is probably on less than Moller

Reply #779139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fuck off Angus, you spend half your time here trying to hang shit on Perth and their fans. Don't worry so much about what other fans are doing, you're a miserable pratt.

Reply #779141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget Angus. There is a reason not even his pet dog will play with him.

Reply #779142 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Quality banter gents.

Reply #779147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the rule was you can't have the same player as an injury replacement for multiple players?

Reply #779151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus taking the bait.
Gullible much.

Reply #779152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne been bringing in Stilth for Prather, as long as you notify the league re injury replacement.

Reply #779154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the fuss over Taylor.
Shaun Bruce is ahead of him in the pecking order.

Reply #779156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

S M A C K E D

Reply #779160 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Perth complains when they lose and complain when they win. Act like my 5 year old.

Reply #779161 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, I'm not sure how this NRP system isn't just an extra roster spot. Especially in Melbourne's case, as they're using a fourth import there.

Reply #779162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch is naturalised. So was fisher reshape and grace. It's topics like this that make it so much sweeter when the cats lose. Their fan base is full arrogant jerks.

Keep on trucking, you’re making up the numbers this season. And I’m not a kings fan, just anti Cats.

Reply #779166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Said so well.
I remember some Perth numpty worried about what the Kings would do to them in another topic.
Now the same idiot will be gloating and calling the Kings Violet Crumbles again.

Shame that no Perth fans understand what that is in reference too.

Reply #779174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You think no Perth fans know the violet crumble reference?

Reply #779175 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth complains when they lose and complain when they win.

Consistency and stability are two of the cornerstones of Cats culture :)

Reply #779176 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Consistency yes

Mental stability? Mhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply #779177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee Kings owner Paul Smith is quiet on Twitter today. He came to town bagging everything about Perth up to game time then...nothing? Sounds like he's happy to drum up the hate and banter until his team gets their arses handed to them. Not even a sportmanlike 'too good tonight for us' tweet.

He might be investigating whether they can get a rule change to switch last night's L to a W.

Reply #779180 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"Lisch's birth certificate says America. He is not Australian. Five imports. Did he give up us US citizenship or is he a dual citizen now? I can go to China and do some test and pledge my allegiance to their country, but guess what, I'm still not Chinese. Just calling a spade a spade. Lisch is American."

Entirely wrong!

To be an Australian you have to have Australian citizenship.

I was born overseas. So were my forefathers for 4 generations (i was the 5th). Before that we (obviously) came from elsewhere. That elsewhere is the Nationality we always claimed until we naturalized in Australia, as a family. I am Australian. Further, if I went to china and took Chinese citizenship, I would (also) be Chinese.

(I was taken aback by this comment so went straight to "replies". If others have written on this, I haven't read them yet. Hope I do see others objecting to this sort of rubbish).

Reply #779194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You must be aboriginal as they are the only true Australians.

Reply #779198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""Taylor is now playing as an injury replacement for Moller."

Well apart from the fact that is specifically not allowed under the rules"

It is permitted under the rules.

Reply #779201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what the hell is wrong with people? Someone starts a thread about Sydney, and immediately you all start carrying on about Perth. You need to seek professional help, your obsession with Perth is unhealthy.

For what its worth, I think there is a lack of transparency around these rules.
I had no problem with Sydney using an import slot to replace Lisch, but it starts to stink when he replaces a bench player.

The other problem I have, and I suspect the reason this was originally prohibited, is that it starts to look like you just have an extra player on your team. You have 12 players instead of of 11 (ignoring next stars) and only play the 12th man for injuries. How can you say that is within the rules?

I questioned it when Perth did it with Dech, using him to replace Cotton and Martin. But that was Dech, somebody unable to get a game otherwise. Not a highly paid import.

Sydney's weakness has always been the age of their players. That goes out the window if they're allowed to keep extra players on tap.

Also, whilst I think it is great that we are seeing Expat Marquee players coming home, I think it needs to be an either/or. I don't think teams should be allowed to stack their teams with the cream of Aussie talent, and then hire 3 (4) imports on top.

Reply #779249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its pretty clear re the Kings and their imports though. Lisch has played for the Boomers and is naturalised, Louzada is through the Next Stars program and doesn't count against the import cap as is the case with Hampton and Ball. Then Taylor, Tate and Ware are the imports. Thus three imports, If any Perf supporters want I can dumb it down a bit more for them though.

Reply #779278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tate had a good year but is also a budget import, Taylor was sacked by Adelaide and is super budget import.

Hoops is a good forum but you just got cut through the bull shit from the west side of the nation.

Reply #779282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the rules are fucking obvious unless you're a butthurt Perth fan throwing a tanty.

Reply #779283 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

If people stopped biting on the "four imports" crap, then people would stop putting it out there... but until then...

The last couple of posts have been bigly common sense... I agree that some transparency would be great, as previously, other times players (not even imports) haven't been able to switch to be a replacement for another player... Also, the fact that Taylor is replacing Moller and yes, I know they TECHNICALLY have an import spot free, it's still pretty poor form, considering how they're testing the boundaries as it is...

I'd rather have promoted a young kid temporarily as Taylor has been useless anyways...

Reply #779285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly ask Weaver would he prefer Moller or Taylor out there, you don't have to be Einstein to realise Taylor is an asset to the opposition.

Reply #779286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think its pretty clear re the Kings and their imports though. Lisch has played for the Boomers and is naturalised, Louzada is through the Next Stars program and doesn't count against the import cap as is the case with Hampton and Ball. Then Taylor, Tate and Ware are the imports. Thus three imports,"

OMG, you can't honestly be that fucking retarded?
You think you're the only one who understands the rules?
When people refer to "4 imports" it's called sarcasm. Look it up you dumb piece of shit.

Reply #779309 | Report this post

Malcolm  
Years ago

Plus Taylor was shit anyway even Adelaide a team with useless Ramone Moore as an import didn't want him.

Reply #779310 | Report this post

Malcolm  
Years ago

I hope Cooks joins Sydney's playing roster ASAP. Sick of people crapping on about how good Moller is.

Reply #779311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tate had a good year but is also a budget import, Taylor was sacked by Adelaide and is super budget import."

Thanks for officially confirming that Sydney Fans are the most delusional on the planet.
So your logic is that teams can have as many imports as they want, as long as they are crabs? I'll be sure to let Joey know.

I can absolutely, positively, guarantee you, that Sydney hasn't spent the money they have, assembled the team they have, and hired a coach from American, only to skimp out and save a couple of bucks on their starting forward. Tate is no more budget than most of the other imports. Just because he is probably getting less than Cotton & Ware, doesn't make him budget. Especially not when he could be playing in Europe.

Okay, Taylor was the best we could afford at the time, and he is rubbish for an import, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is cheap. Remember that Sydney had to buy out his contract, so he must have been on decent coin and Sydney must have offered him more.

Taylor also highlights the other problem.
Taylor FAILS to get drafted and he's an Import.
Did DOES get drafted and he's not an Import???

Reply #779313 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Taylor also highlights the other problem.
Taylor FAILS to get drafted and he's an Import.
Did DOES get drafted and he's not an Import???"

Not at all how the rule works and yet only marginally the stupidest part of your post, impressive.

Reply #779315 | Report this post

Malcolm  
Years ago

Sydney didn't break any rules signing Taylor to replace Lisch.
Will Sydney haters only be happy if they signed Daniel JOyce instead.

Replacing towel waver Kuany with Boomers level player Cooks on the other hand is a different story.

Reply #779317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So piss off Taylor and give young Aussie Kuany a job again, problem solved.

Reply #779319 | Report this post

Malcolm  
Years ago

Taylor would've pissed off but he was there to replace Lisch and then Moller got injured.

No rules broken as Sydney only have two other imports on the roster Ware and Tate.

Reply #779321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...and Didi and Lisch.. wink wink.. Anything to help Andy get some NBL "success" to mark his league commitment a success. First the MVP (which should have been Cotton's), now this year no rule left unturned in order to get him the chip.

Reply #779325 | Report this post

Malcolm  
Years ago

Salty cunt aren't ya.
Just accept Sydney have broken no rules FFS dickhead they just got hammered by the Wildcats a team many on this forum don't rate that highly.

Reply #779328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, and Adelaide smashed Perth. And Melbourne smashed Adelaide. And Cairns smashed Melbourne. And Illawarra smashed Cairns. And Brisbane smashed Illawarra. And New Zealand were just smashed on their flights. So what is your point? Not a cupcake league? Despite the clear cheating, they are not expected to go flawless? Do you think that Perth could take them in a best of 5? Put down the pipe and stop responding to every friggin thread.

Reply #779330 | Report this post

Malcolm  
Years ago

Don't have a pipe cockhead.
Happy to have ruffled your anonymous feathers though.

Sydney aren't cheaters

Reply #779333 | Report this post

Malcolm  
Years ago

Sydney have broken NO rules.

Reply #779334 | Report this post

Bill Beaver  
Years ago

Would really love to take all the "oh em gee, the Kings are spending so much money" trolls on a personal tour of Auburn Basketball Centre and its glorious surrounds so you can see just how "lavish", lavish really is.

For those playing along, Auburn is the ghetto. It's pretty much Beirut circa 1987. The stadium is old as the Earth and is smack bang in the ghetto. It's as working class as you can get.

Bogut was stated as saying the group wanted that as it had character, and so that "the development guys weren't paying $25" to park at Qudos bank arena, etc. If they're going budget with the core things like where they train and spend 85% of their time, what's the likelihood that they're splurging elsewhere? Habits are habits across the board. They do recovery at Bogut's house don't they? LOL.

Trollers gonna troll.

Reply #779650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think that training venue availability is in any way related to roster expenditure, then I don't know what to tell you.

Reply #779652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many teams train at the venue they play home games in? Not many I would say and I bet there is no correlation with overall success for the teams that do.

Reply #779656 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

You can say you don't like the rules or wish the league was more transparent, sure, but if you think the Kings have broken the rules then I don't know what to tell you, either.

Reply #779657 | Report this post

Bill Beaver  
Years ago

My point is, choosing to base yourself at Auburn speaks volume of the mindset.

Comments like "we don't really want players paying $25-100 each training session to park at Qudos" tells you where their minds are at.

Character doesn't have an off switch etc, if they're frugal/conservative in one aspect, it's not far fetched to think that that's the mentality across the spectrum of the culture.

I know it's easy to hate but dig deep and look at all their little tidbits like emphasising "no phones during team time", stringent group expectations on when you can be expected to miss a team commitment (I think Bogut said something along the lines of "you can for a funeral or a birth, but a wedding, no".

This team seems to adopt that sort of mindset - it's very different to last year.

Reply #779660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Character doesn't have an off switch"

Or in the case of Bogut, an on switch.

Reply #779662 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bill Beaver you are a mildly entertaining piss take account. Well I hope so for your own sake. Tell us more about Auburn Basketball Centre and its lack of paid parking as it's really gripping stuff which helps us deep dive into the 2019-20 Sydney Kings frugal culture.

Reply #779663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the development guys weren't paying $25" to park at Qudos bank arena"

"we don't really want players paying $25-100 each training session to park at Qudos"

Holy shit, the hyperinflation in Sydney is unreal. It's pretty much Berlin circa 1923.

Reply #779665 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I played at Auburn for years and it's not only unpaid parking, you would be also able to leave it there for up to 2 hours with only a slight chance of having a window smashed in.

Reply #779666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The stadium at auburn is old but it's OK, not glamorous so what. It’s actually closer to Lidcombe than Auburn. Like all Sydney you can’t buy a two bedroom unit in the area for under 650g and it’s certainly not the rough and tumble area it was in the past.
It’s the only stadium that doesn’t come under basketball nsw clutches and has the best finances of all nsw clubs.

Kings are run on business lines this season and I’d be surprised if there in the top two spending clubs.

Reply #779669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kings are run on business lines this season"

What does that even mean?

Reply #779682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't spend what they don’t have, it’s run on a budget, the owner is a smart man, he’s not there to lose money.

Reply #779687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats fans up high and mighty like their team isn't bought, and they develop all their own local talent. Let’s have a look. Well straight away Cotton, White, and Hunt are Americans. We all know they poached Kay and Norton from the development club Hawks, and had to outbid MU for Kay. Hmmm, Majook a journeyman, Steindl cut his teeth in FNQ. Even Martin a former Razorback who followed Bevo over to Perth when they went belly up. Who does that leave? Starting centre Vague? Wagstaff? Hardly built. Geez who woulda thought in a professional league, a bunch of mercenaries.

Reply #779702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has ever said the Wildcats only develop WA born players, or criticised the Kings for not doing the same. Idiot.

Reply #779704 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Even Martin a former Razorback who followed Bevo over to Perth when they went belly up.
I'm surprised the Wildcats could afford to poach him in 2010 given his stellar NBL resume to that point. How they managed to outbid the NBA and Euro teams who were doubtless chasing his signature is beyond me. He'd played two full seasons at that point, and I think he even started some of those games. It's not often you find a player with that good a resume.

Reply #779708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reasoning with a cats fan is pointless..
Just wait when Cotton is naturalized and they'll be all smug about it. But then another import on another team will do the same and they’ll be cheating too.

Let’s remember 2014/15 season
Drake U’u - USA
Earnest Ross - USA
DeAndre Daniels - USA
Jermaine Beal - USA
Shawn Redhage - USA
And that was back when it was only a ten man squad.
They did it years ago, but now sydney do it an it’s cheats.

Now watch some cats fan break this down to show why it isn’t the same

Reply #779709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo brought over that squad. Trev just inherited it and been riding it ever since

Reply #779710 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Who signed first, Wesley or Ross? I can't even remember. I do remember nobody caring about Wesley, and everyone being outraged about Ross, so I'm not sure where the notion comes from that it was perfectly fine back then but suddenly an outrage now.

It's also worth noting that nobody changed the rules specifically so the Wildcats could sign any of those players, and I haven't seen anyone complaining about Kendall Stephens and Terry Armstrong playing (well, being on the roster) for SEM.

Reply #779713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Now watch some cats fan break this down to show why it isn't the same"

It isn't the same.

Reply #779715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red (army) tinted glasses show no problems here.
They all played for free to and for the love of the game no championships bought here derp

Reply #779719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you on about? You just listed some random players and you think you made a point?

Reply #779721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus, I know your ass is sore after all those years following the Kings, but you need to get over it and stop crying.

Doing something that contravenes the rules, especially when done to gain an unfair advantage, is cheating.
It's not "Only Cheating if you get caught."

If you break the rules (whether or not you are caught or penalised) that is Cheating.
If you break the rules, and for whatever reason the league doesn't penalise you, that is still Cheating.
If you break the rules, and for some bizarre reason the league says "yeah cool, whatever" that is still Cheating against the other teams.

Cheating can also be violating the spirit of the rules.
If a team went out and hired 6 current NBA players offering them $20M each per season, would that be ok?

The combination of the soft cap and marquee rules, was designed to improve the quality of the league as a whole, and bring back Aussie stars that would otherwise be playing in Europe of China. It wasn't meant to only benefit the Kings. I really don't think it's fair that one team gobble up all the expat talent, then sign 3 imports on top, including poaching the best players from elsewhere.

Didi did not qualify as a Next Star. Simple and straightforward. At any other time, and for any other team, he would be an import.
Its cheating, pure and simple.
Having the league come out, after he was signed, and say "oh yeah, we changed the rules and just forgot to tell anyone but Sydney" does not make it any less cheating.

Whichever way you want to cut and slice it, Sydney have cheated on the 5-man cap. And please spare me your bullshit theories about how everyone at Sydney is playing for minimum wage. Just look at the benches around the league and in fact look at Sydneys own bench.
You dont sign guys like Walker, Hunter, and Kuany, unless you are hard up against the cap.
Using an import to replace Lisch was fine. Using an import to replace one of your capped bench players is cheating.

Signing Cooks is just taking the piss.

As somebody said, whats next?

Reply #779729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical Cats fans, spouting rubbish as if fact!

The League knows where Didi is from and his credentials. The League allowed it, so anyone with a brain would take that opportunity. The League okayed it - no rules broken - no cheating. How dense are you Cats fans?

Lisch is naturalised. Just like Grace, Crawford, Fisher, Redhege... Was that cheating? What if Cotton naturalises? Is that cheating? How dense are you Cats fans?

Throw around numbers that you have no proof of. Show me one bit of evidence that goes beyond you simply theorising. Just one bit? You can't. Pure speculation. Just choosing want you want to believe with leaps of logic. How about Nick 800 Kay? See anyone can play this stupid game. How dense are you Cats fans?

Taylor being an injury replacement? The League okayed it. Not like Sydney is trying to pass him off as Deshon’s twin brother. Plus he’s rubbish! How dense are you Cats fans?

And to top it all off, Sydney get smashed both games over the weekend - I thought there was no parity. But when Perth had the advantage of bull "loyalty" points and turned the league into a two team league with NZ national team you never complained about parity. The other teams were just there to lay out a red carpet for Perth and NZ for the least competitive era of the NBL. Seriously, how dense are you Cats fans?

Reply #779736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"See anyone can play this stupid game."

I don't know, you seem to much better at it than everyone else.

Reply #779738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
Thick as pig shit.

Kay was 1.2 million over 3 years.

Reply #779740 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The irony of telling me to stop crying, while spewing utter bullshit through your cries of unfairness... Hunter, Bruce, Moller, Waxy, and Kickert likely all reasonably within the limit, considering two of those guys were almost out of the league, one is an unheralded rookie, Kickert would hardly have been in demand after last season, and Moller would not be on a significant amount either, being lured back home to Sydney for more mins after being glued to United's bench. You have zero knowledge that proves otherwise, just assumptions based on the kings position on the ladder and how unfair it seems to you.

And I love to hear a (presumably) Wildcats fan talk about violating the spirit of the rules. Jeezus. Redhage made Goulding look like Tim Duncan in comparison to how he carried on on the court.

Reply #779741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so many posters working in nbl team accounting departments. they know all the figures and have all the proof beyond hearsay and whatever they want to believe to fuel their conspiracy. cook will probably come in and be horrible anyway like taylor, the kings will kangz, perth will win again and their fans will carry on like spaz and they wont care about parity and the little man then just convince themselves of their moral superiority because their players play for nothing and kings will sign 6 imports next year and still kangz. the world will keep turning.

Reply #779744 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Kickert would hardly have been in demand after last season,]

Except Kickert signed a 2 year deal in April 2018, off the back of a 2017-18 season where he averaged 14ppg at 52% from the field, the 13th highest scorer in the entire NBL that season higher than the likes of Newbill, Kay, Newley, Sobey, Wesley....

Reply #779748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Red (army) tinted glasses show no problems here.
They all played for free to and for the love of the game no championships bought here derp"

The sad thing is that you probably dont even realise how big a moron you are..

For all the period you're referring too, Perth complied with a fixed salary cap, and with a completely transparent points cap.
U'u and Ross were scrubs, barely decent SBL-level players.

But don't logic get in the way of a good Perf Rant hey?

You think that despite a fixed salary, and a points system that allowed everyone to see how each player was rated, that Perf somehow cheated.

But with no control, and no transparency, you would have us believe that Sydney are hardly over the cap at all.

Reply #779749 | Report this post

Both sides here look like fools. Don't know which one is worse. Cairns definitely aren’t cheating. Go Taipans!

Reply #779751 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kickert's 2nd year was a team option, and apparently the salary was renegotiated - this was the discussion in the offseason when I believe just about every Kings fan figured we'd be saying goodbye to him based on last season's production.

Reply #779752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the hype over Didi hasn't matched performance, one great preseason game and one against Perth are the really only above ordinary displays. He probably doesn’t deserve a starting spot. Don’t get me started on Taylor, while he has busted his nut he just not very good. Tate Moller and Bruce have been the surprise packets, budget import, player looking for more time and an uncontracted player no one wanted. None of them would be on big money. Kickett contract was a kings option which they probably negotiated down if they wanted to as no one else would have taken him. Hardly star studded roster there.
LV you might want to look at your own roster before y start throwing stone.

Reply #779753 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I stand corrected on Kickert

Kings bottom 5 could be under the $514,800

Still, the Kings have a massive free kick with an NBA draftee giving them a 4th import, ie: a 20 year old who's already played 2 professional seasons in Brazil, a FIBA World Cup and the NBA Summer League. Not an 18 year kid like Lamelo or RJ Hampton.

So their bottom 5 are effectively 8 to 12, instead of 7 to 11. 4 imports instead of 3 (not technically an import, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc....) All of this makes a massive difference.

None of us really know, but they look like the most expensive roster in history to me, with a nice freeby helping them along, 4th import in a 3 import league.

Reply #779754 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And btw, I hope United doesn't get a Next Star

My suggestion would be that top 4 teams from the previous season are ineligible to sign one.

Reply #779755 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So just to break that down, then

- 4 imports instead of 3 (until Moller returns, presumably)

- Bottom 5 really being a bottom 4

So Didi gives them two different free kicks- both quite helpful

Reply #779757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, we all know Didi's history, the League knows, they approved it, they make the rules. Where’s the cheating? Kings just taking advantage of the rules in place. Nothing stopping Perth or any other team doing the same. Though I agree it would be better if the bottom 4/5 teams had first dibs on Next Stars.

Reply #779758 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kings aren't cheating, just taking advantage of dubious rules

The soft cap has a purpose, the Next Stars program has a purpose, but I draw the line at having an NBA player with pre existing professional, national team and summer league experience, essentially a player on loan from his NBA club, but being exempt from being called an import.

Reply #779760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Maybe Perth can sell their culture to Next Stars.

Reply #779762 | Report this post

Malcolm  
Years ago

The latter part of LV's post makes the most sense.

Will all other teams be able to have a draft and stash player. They should.

Ennis who was drafted in a similar spot would be a next star if he was drafted in 2019.

Reply #779764 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[The soft cap has a purpose, the Next Stars program has a purpose, but I draw the line at having an NBA player with pre existing professional, national team and summer league experience, essentially a player on loan from his NBA club, but being exempt from being called an import.]

And, the NBL pays some of the players salary, and said player is essentially a 12th player who is totally excluded from the usual salary rules eg bottom 5.

Few changes required for next season, this is a bit of a joke

Reply #779765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didi might have done all you have said but he hasn't been that good. Melbourne have been running four imports, Prather, Stilth, Long, Trimble. I see you never complained about that.

Reply #779773 | Report this post

Malcolm  
Years ago

This year sees Sydney, Illawarra, NZand SEM with next stars.
Next season should alternate and see the other teams have one.

Reply #779774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. Next Stars having the final say on their destination is a big part of what makes the program work in the first place. It has to advantage the next star or else they will opt not to play here.

Reply #779800 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Apart from the Didi signing, I don't see a problem (and I'm a Cats fan), everyone's trying to win the chip, Kings are just working harder and doing a better job at it. That still doesn't mean they win the chip and this weekend we saw that they aren't invincible. Cairns have done some damage against the top teams, but lack of experience will stop them from being contenders in the finals if they take that 4th spot, it would however give a little scare to whoever finishes on top if they continue this form. would love to see how Wani is going to fit into the Cats rotation.

Title takes a team hitting perfect form at finals and a lot of luck.

Reply #779809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the "chip"?? lame

Reply #779814 | Report this post

Yeah, it's clearly a 'ship.

Reply #779845 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's c'hip and I've heard it used before but agree that it's lame.

Reply #779846 | Report this post

Can't take a Championship Cruise on a chip. But I spose you can't on a ring either.

Reply #779850 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Chip/ring/flag/medal/trophy, it's all means the same thing.

Reply #779852 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Didi might throw trophy trophy off the ship like Ennis, then play with some chips at the Casino and buy a gold encrusted ring from a jewellery store, using all that spare cash paid to him by the NBL

Reply #779858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Premiership

Reply #779864 | Report this post

Fair to say that ship has sailed for Sydney now that both Perth and Cairns have figured them out.

Reply #779865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is it with people, still carrying on about Perf? If this weekend just past proves anything its that they are the one team you don't have to worry about

I am an Adelaide fan, and the weekend before will probably be the highlight of the season. But I think I have cause to be worried.

I have always respected the Wildcats, we have had a great rivalry over the years, and I think in recent years Joey has done a bang up job. Took us to the GF in 2014, made us the dominant team in 2017, and deserved to win in 2018.

Joey pioneered the Next Stars concept, except that ours was classified as an import. He has better US contacts than any other NBL coach, but we can't afford to spend so much money.

Teams like ours now face an uphill battle.
I know that that have always tended to be dominant teams in the NBL, but they come and go, wax and wain. Go back to 2017, before the rot really set in. The top 4 was Adelaide, Perth, Illawarra, and Cairns. Thats the NBL that were never going to see again.

Sydney are just going nuts. Melbourne arent far behind, and if this season doesnt work out they will up their game again. Perth are already outspending the rest of us, so what happens when they decide to kick it up a notch????
SEM will get Wesley naturalised, axe Benson, and hire a couple of guns. Thats your top right there. If were lucky we can nip at their heals and try to make the playoffs once in a blue moon.

Plus how long do you think guys like Joey will put up with this nonsense? Soon only those big 4 will be able to attract a decent coach.

Reply #779877 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So much for their frugality playing at Auburn:

Smoke forces Kings to find back-up home
Source: AAP News (by Matt Encarnacion) - Tuesday, 10 December, 2019

Sydney Kings coach Will Weaver has revealed how the thick smoke blanketing the city has forced the NBL club to consider alternative training bases.

The league leaders proceeded with their two-hour run at Auburn Basketball Centre on Tuesday despite the dilapidated venue being filled with smoke.

But more forecasts for poor air quality has prompted the franchise to look at holding temporary sessions at Qudos Bank Arena.

"The thing that's most salient to me is how lucky we are to be considering it as an inconvenience for our training," Weaver told AAP on Tuesday.

"As opposed to all the people who are actually dealing with it in a real way."

However the former NBA assistant did admit the Kings staff were surprised at how the smoke had seeped into the indoor venue in Sydney's west.

Three giant fans were used in attempt to air out the stadium.

The club's sports science team will now decide whether to continue preparations for Saturday's match against Melbourne United at Qudos Bank Arena.

"If it continues like this, and we have the expectation it might be this bad again, we're going to train at Qudos rather than train here," Weaver said.

"Only because it's inside and there's not as much as exposure to it."

The Kings had previously based themselves at the Sydney Olympic Park venue but shifted to Auburn this year due to accessibility issues.

Franchise owners spent some money to recently refurbish a team kitchen, locker room and players' lounge, while a paint job is also on the horizon.

Weaver, who came from arguably the NBA's best facilities in Brooklyn, admitted being surprised by the lack of basketball-centric venues in Sydney.

A number of locals were waiting for Andrew Bogut and Casper Ware wrap up their extras before using the court on Tuesday afternoon.

The Kings have been largely considered the league's glamour club, but Weaver has learnt to embrace building a home in the city's blue-collar region.

"The outside of the building, the inside, it's nothing beautiful to look at. But it's representative of the hard work we're trying to do," he said.

"We're not trying to be some glamour program. It's a nice place where a lot of the kids and teams are playing before and after we get on and off.

"There's a lot of opportunities for us to remain centred and not lose track of ourselves and think that we're some kind of jet-setters."

Reply #779880 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Franchise owners spent some money to recently refurbish a team kitchen, locker room and players' lounge, while a paint job is also on the horizon.

So frugal.

Reply #779881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" but shifted to Auburn this year due to accessibility issues."

So it wasn't frugality, it was venue availability...

Reply #779884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL. Making it seem like they are spending millions on Auburn. Err, no. The place is a dump. Spending a few bucks on trying to make it semi-habitable is all they are doing.

Again, rich coming from fans of an organisation that has its own great facility with courts and team offices and an awesome gym next door.

Reply #779894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The smoke in Sydney is on Beijing levels, you can't even open your house windows. People are wearing masks in the street. It’s f..king hazardous, I don’t see a problem here.
Some people have to get a life, f..k me there nearly turning me into a kings supporter.

Reply #779907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Again, rich coming from fans of an organisation that has its own great facility with courts and team offices and an awesome gym next door."

No one was going to mention Auburn until some other twat brought it into the discussion as if it was evidence that the Kings aren't spending big on their playing roster.

Reply #779911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical Perth fans, literally fire surrounding Sydney and all they want to do is put the boot in because a team dare challenge them. Biggest front runners in the league.

Reply #779940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Biggest front runners"

Cos we're always coming first, or....?

Reply #779941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cats are not in front, than its a conspiracy against the Cats evidently. A team uses all the resources it has available and apparently that's cheating. They would rather dominate the broke ass league of the early-2010s than a league that is exciting and competitive.

Reply #779948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They would rather dominate the broke ass league of the early-2010s than a league that is exciting and competitive."

They've been more dominant in the LK era than the early 2010's.

Man, the Cats winning really irks you, doesn't it?

Reply #779949 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No one was going to mention Auburn until some other twat brought it into the discussion as if it was evidence that the Kings aren't spending big on their playing roster.

Exactly. I found it funny coming across the article about them bailing on Auburn (after retro fitting it) to Qudos which was the exact premise the twat had for arguing the Kings were being frugal. Hilarious timing.

Reply #779985 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Typical Perth fans, literally fire surrounding Sydney and all they want to do is put the boot in because a team dare challenge them.

This is a very interesting POV.

If there is a fire in Sydney, then we can never make a negative comment about anything with the word Sydney in it.

Scratch that, it's not interesting at all, it's asinine.

Reply #779986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not bailing perthworld. Learn to read. The smoke was that bad they are looking to train at qudos til it clears. Twat

Reply #779987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So will the DP's be paying $25 or $100 a day for parking?

Reply #779991 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

^ hahaha

Reply #779992 | Report this post

DPs will be parking at Lidcombe and catching the train. If they are lucky there will not be any ticket inspectors.

Reply #780011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the Emperors just rolled the 2nd highest paid team.
Want to tell us again how having Cooks is completely above board?
And how fine their new clothes are?

Reply #780585 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754