Anonymous
Years ago

Team of the decade

2020 is approaching so hit me thinking of what is the team of the decade. Obviously the Wildcats get that trophy but does it extend beyond NBL to all Australian sports?

The Wildcats have been the most consistently successful team over the last decade of Australian professional sports. Whether you look at any metric: wins, consistency or even strategy (e.g declining NBAxNBL games).

Thoughts?

Topic #46496 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many threads here lately that scream "this will go well"
The cats are the team of the decade in the whole world, not just Australia.

Hey Perth people your city is so very important and relevant ok so stop acting so insecure. I totally mean that and am totally not just saying to your face shortly before turning around and rolling my eyes really hard and snickering knowingly with everyone else. When people around the world think of Australia the first thing that comes to their mind is not Sydney icons or Melbourne culture or Qld beaches/reefs or Clare Valley vineyards it is the basketball arena in Perth and the mighty bandits oops I mean wildcats.

Reply #779181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would argue that Hawthorn in the AFL would be a better team for team of the decade considering that they have had to compete against 17 other clubs compared with 7 and ended up with 3 flags and a RU

Reply #779196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not the worst thread idea. It is a solid discussions point and the Wildcats would definitely be in the mix. Any team that wins 3+ championships along with some runner ups and other high finishes would be a contender for the best Aus team on the last 10 years imo.

Few other teams off the top of my head (ranked just by championships).

NSW Breakers - Women's cricket (9 wins, 1 runner up)
Wildcats (4 wins, 2 runner up)
Perth Scorchers (3 wins, 2 runner up)
Hawthorn (3 wins, 1 runner up)
Sydney Roosters (3 wins, 1 runner up)

Reply #779200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats have 5 wins in the decade, not 4

Reply #779204 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We've edged out all those other teams and locked this award in after beating the GOAT NBL Team After Round 9 (TM) led by the Calm One last night.

Reply #779221 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hey Perth people your city is so very important and relevant ok so stop acting so insecure. I totally mean that and am totally not just saying to your face shortly before turning around and rolling my eyes really hard and snickering knowingly with everyone else. When people around the world think of Australia the first thing that comes to their mind is not Sydney icons or Melbourne culture or Qld beaches/reefs or Clare Valley vineyards it is the basketball arena in Perth and the mighty bandits oops I mean wildcats.

How can you blame us for acting like this when over here in Wait Awhile we live in the poor man's version of Australia? Thanks for rubbing it in - living vicariously through the NBL is our little consolation prize. Can't we have anything nice?

Reply #779223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bryce Cotton
Cedric Jackson
Damian Martin
Mitch Creek
Daniel Johnson

That would be my team of the decade in the NBL - a lot of standouts in the guard department and also really hard to put imports in when they are only here for a short time. This would be my 2nd team:

Casper Ware
Kevin Lisch
Chris Goulding
Nick Kay
Andrew Bogut

Thoughts?

Reply #779261 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I think your 2nd team wins that match-up!

Reply #779352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wildcats have 5 wins in the decade, not 4"

No. You can certainly say that Perth have won 5 within A decade, but not THE decade.
2000 was in THE previous decade.

Reply #779395 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Firstly, finding another excuse to claim an accolade for the Cats does seem a bit naff. We all know how many rings Perth has won.

If you're looking to compare across different spots The problem is that you have to try and value the achievements according to importance. In Australia, that probably means Hawthorn and their 3-peat.

if you look internationally, it would be hard to go past Real Madrid. They have won 4 UEFA championships. (and their Basketball team has done ok also)

Reply #779413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at the 'importance' of Hawthorn. Especially since the 1st & 3rd wins of the threrpeat were against garbage opponents.

Reply #779414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No. You can certainly say that Perth have won 5 within A decade, but not THE decade.
2000 was in THE previous decade."

No one's counting the championship in 2000. 2010-2019 is the decade (2010's). 2020 is the start of the new decade (2020's). Perth has won 5 in the 2010's

Reply #779668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ won 4 in that time and only lost 1 finals series. Perth won 5 and lost 2.
So NZ had the better winning percentage.

Reply #779670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ also missed the playoffs entirely a number of times.

Reply #779677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NZ won 4 in that time and only lost 1 finals series. Perth won 5 and lost 2.
So NZ had the better winning percentage"

By that logic, until Melbourne lost last season, they were the most successful team of the decade.

Reply #779684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 2019-20 Cairns Taipans

Reply #779731 | Report this post

Hypie10  
Years ago

Undoubtedly the Perth Wildcats

10 playoff appearances
7 finals appearances
5 chips
2 finals losses

No questions

Reply #812209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a Perth thread. No one other than Perth fans care. The Collingwood of the NBL.

Reply #812220 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I would say it's tainted a bit by the weakness of the league in terms of the instability, there’s a literal sketch years ago about the amount of teams that drop out.

Mix in instability financially by the 36ers Hawks and Cairns and what do you have left? Wildcats, Breakers (just as successful) and Melbourne.

It won’t taint it for Perth fans but many others will go "the league was a bit shit for many of those years" and it wouldn’t be wrong.

This is in comparison to your AFLs etc. Geelong, Hawks dominations are more impressive IMO especially in a league where you’ve got 16-18 teams and all of the 16 teams have made a grand final in the last 20 years, and draft means fluctuations of being good and bad. Hawks and Cats have kept going strong for a prolonged period in spite of that. They should have dropped before now and they simply didn’t while others came and went, multiple times.

Cricket wise I’d imagine NSW domination rates up there.

Reply #812222 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:04 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754