Jack Toft
Years ago

Breakers v Bullets Dec 9

Round 10 finalises with a Monday night game across the ditch.

Both teams have had recent wins over Illawarra, but hey, I would give South Adelaide's U18 Div 2 boys half a chance at the moment, especially if the Hawks are Ball-less.

Brisbane haven't ventured to Auckland yet this season and New Zealand at home are running 3 and 3, albeit those wins being Illawarra twice and Cairns once. The Bullets have not been impressive on the road, with both of their away wins being against the Hawks.

But, just like you can't beat a battered sav with sauce washed down with L&P, I do like the Breakers at their home ground. I think it's time to rumble and despite having more problems than Jacinda Ardern having an intimate candle light dinner with Donald Trump, the Breakers seem to bounce when required and have got the reserve firepower. Beyond Lamar Patterson, they might as well have Les Patterson taking shots. They are yet to score a ton on the road and have only got there once, but had 5 centuries against them.

The Breakers at home are a bit like a whack a mole, just when one guy is down, someone else stands up and I think this will be the case today with the Breakers reaching behind the fat fryer to serve up a dry, old battered sav to the Bullets.

Breakers by 8

Topic #46510 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You still on Breakers by 8 with Rice Jr being cut?

Reply #779567 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL..... just found out about that!

Rice is cooked

Reply #779572 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hopson is playing tonight so Rice Jnr was always going to be released.
I'm heading to the game after work, hopefully NZ can get up

Reply #779583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopson's back. Does anyone know if Webster's playing? I like Brisbane in this one - NZ is too dysfunctional.

Reply #779584 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Rice is fried

Reply #779587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rice is leaving
so as they say in Italy, aranciniderci

Reply #779592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Webster and Hopson are in this should be even money.

Reply #779598 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Depends on Webster and Hopson's match fitness, but the Bullets are more than capable of dropping this one in any case.

Reply #779599 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I'm going to say Bullets.

Only because I don't know NZB's modus operandi to winning games. I don't know their blueprint.

Reply #779604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets and nz are both rubbish, coin toss on who turns up. Maybe nz at home, unless Paterson really steps up.

Reply #779610 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

At least Brisbane have won 3 more games; which shows you just how bad NZB have been doesn't it.

Reply #779637 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I can't think of a more shit-tastic match-up right now in the NBL. Thankfully it tips off at 2:30pm here in Title Town.

Reply #779664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been a very entertaining first quarter. Delaney doing good. Hampton out with hip injury. Brisbane are an enigma.

Reply #779671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So far it is a game of outstanding defence. That is why the 2 teams combined for 12/37 shooting in the 1st quarter. It definitely was not because both teams are ordinary.

Reply #779675 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hopson sweating like Patrick Ewing out there.

Reply #779676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamar Patterson off the bench. Lemanis is a genius.

Reply #779678 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ lighting it up from 3

Reply #779679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoying the commentary compared to homicide, Heal bull shit fest.

Reply #779680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Enjoying the commentary compared to homicide, Heal bull shit fest."

Ditto. Thank god NZ is immune to NBL Hub Syndrome.

Reply #779681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is hampton injured or just out of the rotation?

Reply #779683 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hip injury, as opposed to a Ball injury.

Reply #779685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injured hip

Reply #779686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with Lemanis copping the abuse for choosing Gliddon over NBA players for the World Cup team, but then playing crab NZNBL level imports over him for Brisbane?

Reply #779688 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Delany had been superb! Attacking the rim hard all day and tearing the Bullets apart with his athleticism

Reply #779689 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Buzzas to roll these pricks in the second half

Reply #779690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delaney very good though caught out defensively a few times, even commentators mentioned it.

The commentary far better than the over top crap we get in Australia.

Reply #779691 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Yes, Casey Frank is one of the best around.

Reply #779692 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Some quality guesswork from the refs re: the charge/block calls tonight.

Reply #779693 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

DELANY JAM!!!!

Reply #779694 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Delaney showing why he should've been playing 25mpg for the last 2 years.

Reply #779695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even the commentary were saying that Paterson was destroying Delaney on defence, there is two ends court, though most people don't see it.

Reply #779696 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Who in the entire NBL does well against Paterson individually? I'm not sure there's anyone that can stop him. Let Delaney earn his lumps and develop his defense.

Reply #779697 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

32 FT Hopson and Webster down stretch almost brought it home. 10 up 2.05 to go.

Reply #779698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patterson is fantastic, Sobey, Cadee, not so.

Reply #779699 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

Boomer Gliddon is a gun

Reply #779700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patterson off the bench hahahaha AL starts his two dud imports and brings his stud off the pine

Reply #779701 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Had free tickets and was glad to see the Breakers slug out a W.

Reply #779705 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

#sacklemonass

What a joke.

Reply #779706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still too early to write the Breakers off. Hopson is a class act.

The Breakers should never have signed Rice and let Delaney, Henry, Weeks and Hampton work harder.

Reply #779712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glidden a boomer really probably the biggest joke in Australian basketball this year like sobey and bubbles thinking the nba is possible

Reply #779714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon got paid by Brisbane and has just stopped trying. He has fallen off hard.

Reply #779717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

buzzies very soft right now

Reply #779718 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bullets don't have enough to challenge for top 4. Patterson is brilliant but the supporting cast isn't enough.

Breakers are now 4-9. The way it's going this season, 14 wins could be enough for 4th. They'll need to go 10-5, but with their remaining schedule it's a real possibility.

If you assume the bottom 6 won't win too many vs the top 3 (Cairns have bucked this trend so far, but with United now healthy and Perth now in form, I think the top 3 will win at least 80% of games vs bottom 6 teams for the remainder of the season. Perth appears the weakest of the 3, so it would be nice to work this into the model, but let's keep it simple for a basic check of fixture difficulty).

Remaining games vs the top 3, and remaining home games.

NZ (4-9) - 3 of 15 vs top 3. 7 of 15 at home.

SEM (6-6) - 5 of 16 vs top 3. 6 of 16 at home.

Ade (6-7) - 4 of 15 vs top 3. 9 of 15 at home.

Bris (6-8) - 6 of 14 vs top 3. 8 of 14 at home.

Cairns (7-7) - 4 of 14 vs top 3. 7 of 14 at home.

Based on that:

- You can count out Brisbane. They don't have the talent to get the required wins against the top 3.

- Count out SEM- very tough ask staying ahead of 50% wins when every 3rd game is against a top team and 10 of 16 are away.

That leaves Cairns, Adelaide and NZ. Cairns are the form team of the competition. But NZ could have the best depth of these 3.

Webster in career best form, Hopson looking very dangerous gives them two legit scorers. Henry also very capable. They go 9 deep with experienced NBL players- better depth than Adelaide or Cairns. So if Hopson turns out good enough, they'll be in great shape.

Reply #779734 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

But, having said that, if I had to stake my life on one of the options, I reckon I'd go Adelaide. Joey Wright is a proven quality coach. Randle and DJ have done it all before. And they've got 9 games left in Adelaide and already have 6 wins, so I think they're very, very likely to win at least 12 games, and quite probably 13 or more, which means they'll be right there.

Reply #779735 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Just add my two cents that tonight shows the Breakers coach has taken a while to figure out the league and the club he's coaching...

Goes without saying, the Rice signing was insane.

But even though I like RJ, Weeks buried at end of the bench was dumb guy is a spark plug.

Ok Delaney was out, but now he’s back as mentioned above let him roll and reach his ceiling.

Hopson and Webster are guns, Abercrombie, Ashley and Loe will play their role, wouldn’t mind seeing a little less Henry. If he’s hitting sure otherwise there’s other options.

Think they threw away their season but they’ll play spoiler 2nd half of the year

Reply #779770 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Honestly Shamir is lucky the club is such a basket case we don't have time to talk about his incompetence or that time he definitely worked with Rick Pitino.

Reply #779771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks should be at end bench, better than Hampton, lol.

Reply #779776 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, I’m about to join the bag Lemanis trend.. but hard to say bringing Patterson off the bench was dumb when he had 36. Sure it’s unorthodox, but the theory seemed to have him peaking v tired starters or the second unit. Of the many things to criticize I’m not sure that’s one.

That said, the recruitment is genuinely hilarious. Cairns are a good example that you get a quality 6-7, then hopefully you have enough depth to get through the year. Ideally you have more depth than Cairns, but point is money goes to getting the stars.

Unlike the Bullets with their 'everyone plays, equal opportunity, oh it’s not working please bail us out Lamar’ game plan. Gliddon and Te Rangi gone backwards as mentioned and Sobey should have gone to SEM.

Reply #779777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Bullets are paying $26 for the title, that's absolutely ridiculous. There is zero chance this team can contend against the top 3, how are they not $126+ by now.

Reply #779782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't win many games in the nbl with out a great point guard, Sobey and Cadee are not that good. Hodgson and Magnay are so overrated, so crap point guard and crap five man and you are going no where.

Reply #779783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Unlike the Bullets with their 'everyone plays, equal opportunity, oh it's not working please bail us out Lamar’ game plan."

I actually think it's the opposite, this team is built around Patterson and Sobey being their creators, it's just that both have struggled mightily to be consistent, and the fact Gliddon hasn't been spreading the floor has certainly hurt that.

Reply #779793 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The Bullets are paying $26 for the title, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Is it though?
I mean the Kings are paying like $4 million for the title. Now that's ridiculous.

Reply #779797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are paying 4.8 million, now that's ridiculous. Second to Melbourne I might add.

Reply #779804 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Nice summary LV. It's worth noting that there re three head-to-head series where teams have yet to play each other. One of those is likely to be important for 4th place:

- Cairns vs SE Melbourne - not yet played each other and have 3 head to head games

There are also some head to heads where teams have played once but still have 3 games, rather than 2, remaining. e.g., Brisbane vs NZ, NZ vs SE Melbourne, Sydney vs SE Melbourne, Brisbane vs Perth, Adelaide vs NZ, Adelaide vs Cairns.

Interesting to note that SE Melbourne end up playing 11 games against top 3 opponents (Sydney, Perth Melbourne), while NZ play only 9 against that same group. Adelaide, Brisbane and Cairns each play 10 games against that group.

Reply #779825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Honestly Shamir is lucky the club is such a basket case we don't have time to talk about his incompetence or that time he definitely worked with Rick Pitino."

Has he been incompetent? Or has it just been a difficult season? He had the Tall Blacks away with the World Cup, 2 NBLxNBA games, a difficult schedule to start the season, and then injuries to key players.

Reply #779835 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754