Anonymous
Years ago

NBL owners discuss equalisation

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20191210/281994674368409

The message coming out of Sydney is so wildly inconsistent. First it was we are just building the best team because we're the best and everyone should follow our lead, then it was well we're not actually spending over the cap, then it was we are but so are 6 other teams, then it was we are but only by a little bit, and now its everyone needs to follow our lead again. Oh, and we and we alone are making the NBL better again

I'm not sure if its the NBL, or Trump watching his impeachment hearing.

Topic #46515 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

That seems like a pretty reasonable article. Every team wants to win a championship, if they've got the resources they will spent what's required to build the best possible team. They're not going to go "oh we could get this guy but it would make us so much better than everyone else so we won't". That shouldn't be expected of a club. That's up to the NBL to make sure we don't have *systemic* "haves" and "have nots" where the have's are the same year after year and the have nots get sent broke trying to compete and losing year after year (not to be read as an expectation that every team is equally talented and finishes on the same wins and losses - some clubs will be great some will be crap each year, that's competition). That's an NBL issue.

Where the Kings may be at issue, is where they spend beyond their own means. It's important for clubs to be sustainable and endeavour to achieve a semblance of profit as best they can so that they have some money in the bank for a rainy day. We can't keep having this "oh we need new investors or we go baibai", there's only so many investors willing to lose money, and we have had more than enough clubs go under in the NBL history.

Reply #779785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kings new owner isn't a person that spends beyond his own means. He gets about after games and is very easy to chat to. The kings are very well lead at senior management level.

Reply #779787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The kings new owner isn't a person that spends beyond his own means."

How do you know?

"He gets about after games and is very easy to chat to."

Is that point meant to be related to the first?

Reply #779788 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

In my view this is the single most important issue in the NBL.
No doubt the competition is on the upswing. However, until you have a league where every team feels they can win a title every nine years (currently) then the poorer cousins will continue to scrap, do ok, recruit well, and then lose the players to bigger markets. Of course, Cairns is a case in point here.
A clearer, more even spending cap is what is needed so when any team, Cairns through to Sydney, identify local and international talent, then they are in the market to keep them. Much of this is player driven in all sports these days however, so it needs to be driven by the competition.
A big time, bigger picture negotiator is needed as the larger market teams will understandably want to control their revenue. This is the challenge, getting a better share for small markets to keep them competitive and legitimate in the competition. I get that the average 'Joe Supporter' from Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, may not want this to happen.
Any competition needs opposition, so a 4-team powerhouse league is not going to have the interest and variety. NZ, Illawarra and Cairns are fabulous additions to the league and give it regional support. Without them the NBL becomes a city league with a more finite spectator base.
Similarly, an effective draft system (I think AFL works OK) would help with equalisation.
It must be great being a Perth support knowing you will be contesting a title pretty much every year. But the danger remains that the NBL continues to head down the path of the EPL where money talks, 3-4 only are genuinely competing for a title and can buy up the good players, and many clubs would consider a top 6 finish as a ‘successful’ season.
Thoughts?

Reply #779789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know about a draft. Where do the players come from for the draft?

What I'd like to see is more transparency in luxury tax payments and those payments be spread 100% to teams that did not breach the soft cap. Currently the league limits luxury tax receipts to help teams make the salary floor. But I'd like to see it changed to help teams make the soft cap instead.

Reply #779790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a self made millionaire, started in a very working class area in the Illawarra, you learn how to be frugal from a young age in the old days.

Sydney would not even be in the top two spending clubs. Put names to paper of United and cats squad with $$ value next to them, you will be surprised. Don’t class Bruce, Moller, Hunter etc as big paid players.

Reply #779791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"However, until you have a league where every team feels they can win a title every nine years"

Out of interest, champions from the past nine years:

New Zealand
Perth
Melbourne

Other grand finalists:

Cairns
Adelaide
Illawarra

So given Brisbane weren't in the 2/3 of that time and SE Melbourne weren't in the league at all, the only team that should feel aggrieved is Sydney!

Reply #779792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Name a competition in the world where it's even. Bayern Munich have eight titles in row, only two three clubs can win any of major euro league titles in either football or basketball. In the nba if you haven’t got a few super stars you got no chance. Jazz fans think they can win every year but don’t, same with most clubs.

Yes I think it would be good for clubs to post there spendings but it won’t change results. Money speaks when you get the best players. Mathew Knight retires you bring in Kay, Martin getting older you bring in Norton. Ware and Boone go you get Trimble and Long. None these players left for less money and the hawks offered import money to those two.

Reply #779794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's a self made millionaire, started in a very working class area in the Illawarra, you learn how to be frugal from a young age in the old days."

You could rationalise his personality entirely the opposite way. Unless you know the man or the Kings' finances personally, you're just speculating.

"Sydney would not even be in the top two spending clubs. Put names to paper of United and cats squad with $$ value next to them, you will be surprised. Don't class Bruce, Moller, Hunter etc as big paid players."

Well, put names to paper with $$ value next to them. Otherwise this is just more speculation. We're already heard the 'we're not spending as much as you think' rhetoric from Bogut etc.

Reply #779795 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I think mid season trades would be very harsh on a lot of players at the bottom of rosters. Imagine just being told you have to move from Perth to NZ just to earn 50k... I also have issues with a draft as i don't think it is fair on players.

Reply #779798 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

I get what the Anon above is trying to say regarding other leagues, but you cant compare the NBL with them. Those leagues you mentioned are long running leagues (over 50 years in the case of the Bundesliga) and have established teams with strong supporter bases and the talent is spread across 36 teams and 2 divisions.

There is also no competition in most European countries for supporters, here there is AFL, NRL, Cricket, A-League households only have a certain amount to spend on memberships etc and if your home team isnt competitive you wont go.

The Kings, Cats and UTD can spend millions over the "Cap" as the rules allow it, but when its only a 4 team league in 10 years time because Hawks, Cairns and Adelaide fans have given up on an uneven league..will it be worth it?

Reply #779799 | Report this post

Charon72  
Years ago

Need to implement a cap maximum that even the poorest club can afford to keep up with. Only way forward.

Reply #779801 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What would mid-season trades achieve?

Draft would be hard to do, how do you make players nominate? Wouldnt the good ones just say nah ill pick my destination thanks i wont go in the draft? Wouldnt the really good ones be in Europe or NBA a year or two later? Would any enforceability deter people joining the NBL?

Lets say none of those are issues, what happens when you draft this Australian potential stud who isn't going to the NBA/Europe, you spend a few years developing him and then he's out of contract - what's to prevent him just going to a big market club who can afford to poach him? Essentially making the worse clubs feeder clubs as we have now with Cairns.

So we've got this dilemma where we want good talent to be in the league, but it's a hefty price that only half the clubs can afford.

Do we make it competitive and let go of the talent? If that occurs, will that diminish the league in the eyes of the world and make it harder to lure top talent that improves the leagues revenue?

To be totally honest, I think it's worth considering semi-radical ideas such as 1) a "hard cap amount"
2) A franchise tag for all teams that allows them to pay 1 player up to xx within hard cap and up to xx outside of hard cap; ie, means rich clubs can't go outbidding teams on several players
3) All teams put in a pool of XX cash which is used to pay for partial amount of draft player salaries, the higher the pick the more the player receives. This means the league could have the hard cap amount fairly high to attract top talent, and the top teams via their success end up paying part of the less successful clubs salary cap
4) The total league salary (including money out of hard cap via franchise tag) is averaged, those spending higher are taxed and distributed to the lower spenders
5) An expectation is set that clubs are capable of paying the draft pool money and spend on players to a minimum extent within a certain amount of the hard cap; keeping in mind receiving money via 3 if they're not big spenders

Reply #779802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My dear old Nan, god love her, used to use recycled newspaper in the toilet.
That was the last time I saw so much shit on one page.

So there needs to be equalisation, but everything Sydney has done is fine???

Dumping Kuany mid-season to sign a gun-expat is fine because they should have been allowed to trade???

Furthermore, when anybody mentions a "draft" you know they are dribbling shit. It's never going to happen, because even if you could iron out all the complexities it is basically illegal in australia

Reply #779803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, a draft is a restriction of trade, even the afl draft is a lot more flexible, once you done your two years basically you can go anywhere, clubs don't want players there that don’t want to be there. The players union in the afl is strong and they get what they want. What the draft and trading does is give the afl all year publicity where as the nrl dies off for a few months.

Reply #779806 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see what happens with Machado and Oliver, I would presume other teams would offer them big money after this season whilst Cairn's will try to do their best to retain them. Can see Perth going after Oliver and not sure about Machado, maybe targeted by SEM? Kings and United have two of the best PG's in the league, Cat's can't get him as we would retain Cotton and Terrico and go after a big so no room.

Hope Cairns can somehow hold onto both of them, but under the current situation it's hard to see.

Reply #779811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Martin retires and Cotton gets his citizenship, then Machado would be a perfect target for Perth

Reply #779812 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"If Martin retires and Cotton gets his citizenship, then Machado would be a perfect target for Perth"

I did think of that, but surely not. Machado, Cotton, White, Kay, Oliver starting 5. Surely not.

Reply #779817 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If Perth plan to spend like United, no reason why that isn't a real possibility. I imagine Oliver/Machado will be on Long/Melo money after this season, and Cotton would be one of the best paid dudes in the league.

Reply #779820 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

The league is shaping up nicely with greater import retention, reminds me of the days when we had Grace, Crawford, Loggins, Davis, Rucker, Copelane etc etc who were stalwarts of the NBL.

Reply #779821 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"That was the last time I saw so much shit on one page.".
Did you really check out your dear old Nan's toilet etiquette? You're a good lad!

Reply #779822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I did think of that, but surely not. Machado, Cotton, White, Kay, Oliver starting 5. Surely not

Cheats ! Cheats ! Cheats !

Reply #779823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth planned to spend like Sydney maybe they could sign LeBron!

Reply #779826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no, but I had to wipe my ass with what was available

Reply #779828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns got Newbill from breakers and have been able to keep him, they can spend on there imports. The truth is Kelly wanted a better point guard than Trimble and got the player he wanted. Cairns top six would be on good money but then the rest falls away. Injuries to there stars would hurt them.

Illawarra owner doesn't want to spend, hopefully he moves on as I believe there is another interested party but they want control.

Reply #779836 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How many ownership changes have there been at the Hawks? It's too hard to keep up.

Reply #779842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks get owned by the Wildcats every year

Reply #779843 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That too.

Reply #779844 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Do we really need to revisit league equalisation at all?

The equalisation payments are there to enable the bottom teams to be able to afford the salary floor, basically keeping Illawarra and Cairns alive.

In this end it is successful, they are alive.

In fact Cairns right now are in the playoffs, Illawarra have been gifted the LaMelo sideshow in addition to the hand out payments they receive. What better endorsement that the league equalisation efforts are working.

Reply #779854 | Report this post

Darren  
Years ago

Hi Anonymous, I see you mention talk of new Hawk's owners. Can you fill in any more than that?

Reply #779855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good points love broken Love broker.

Reply #779857 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Funny part is Cairns are giant killers at the moment. Budget is getting it done

Reply #779860 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Further to my point under the LK era in one season.

- Cairns have finished 2nd on the ladder.
- Hawks have finished 4th on the ladder and went on to the Grand Final.
- Wildcats were dead last in December that season before their turn-around.
- Melbourne, Sydney and to an extent NZ were deemed amongst the leagues highest spenders and none of them made the playoffs.

Sydney went on to have some stacked teams under Andrew Gaze and made the playoffs once.

Having money does not guarantee you success.

Not having money does not guarantee you failure.

Reply #779861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This place is like an onion.
Just when you think you're pealing off the last layer of stupid, there's another layer underneath.

The Hawks, despite Lamelo, are eating shit and dying. At this rate they won't be in the league much longer.

Having Cairns slightly competitive, once in a blue moon, is simply not enough.
They've pulled a rabbit out their ass this year, and at any other time they could be reasonably thinking of a ring. Instead they'll be lucky to make the playoffs, before once again plunging into the abyss and disappearing until the planets align again.
LMFAO at the idiots claiming their imports are on good money.
Cairns have been running their own next stars for years, except they aim a bit lower. Guys go there to strut their stuff for a year, look good, and springboard to bigger and better things.
Why else do you think Oliver chose Cairns over Perth??? It wasn't for the money. I'd imagine he was guaranteed a start and minutes. Something Cairns can do, but Perf never would.

The dreams of expanding with another team of sheep-shaggers are rapidly fading, as the Breakers lurch fro one catastrophe to the next..

Adelaide have gone from a team routinely challenging for a GF spot, to a team routinely struggling for a playoff spot.

Brisbane, even being propped up by Larry, are just alsorans.

But I guess as long as Sydney get to buy a title, everything is cool?

Reply #779862 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's much like the "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" thing. If talent does work hard, then tough shit.

Money doesn't buy championships on its own, but combine it with ownership that has a clue and a budget team isn't going to keep up.

Yes, the early years were competitive, but a lot of older contracts were still on the books so the effects of the new cap weren't as apparent yet.

Reply #779863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it seems like each new season the rich clubs take the piss more more than the season before. it started off fairly even but it is rich vs poor now.

Reply #779866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet a poor club like Perth is 2nd on the ladder and perennial championship contenders. Perth so poor they can't even offer Oliver enough to convince him to sign on cause he won't play for free and the pure motivations of great culture like Cotton, Kay and Co. Just those evil Sydney and Melbourne city slickers. Well at least with all this attention on Sydney, and their iffy form, Melbourne can get away with the largest payroll in NBL history and no one is saying boo about it. Long, Melo, Prather - all 5 star imports, at least on reputation as Prather has been so-so. Add Goulding and Money Makin' Mitch McCarron who are on good coin, plus the ability to have savy vets like Pledgehammer and attract Illi away from NZ and Jo Lual Acuil away from Euro ball. No one cares though but wait and see come finals time. LK gonna make it happen.

Reply #779867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 867 so right.

# 862 go back to lawn bowls, it's more your budget of a sport.

Reply #779870 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Why else do you think Oliver chose Cairns over Perth??? It wasn't for the money. I'd imagine he was guaranteed a start and minutes. Something Cairns can do, but Perf never would.

Dario Hunt started from the start of the season until the last 2 games.

Why would Cam Oliver be any different had he chosen Perth?

Unless of course you feel Gleeson would put Majok or Vague in front of Oliver?

Reply #779871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But I guess as long as Sydney get to buy a title, everything is cool?"
Yep like Perf has done for years.

Reply #779875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, that expensive two import squad from last season was a real game changer.

Reply #779876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^
Exactly, Kay and Norton went there for the love of Gleeson, no money was involved.

Reply #779878 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

"poor club like Perth " with the richest owner in the league and biggest home crowds.

Reply #779886 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Equalisation, to be equal, isn't happening because it isn't possible. This is as stupid a pursuit as I could even imagine, a total waste of time and effort.

If we want a fair and reasonable league then I am sure rules just need to be adhered to, there are rules, right?

As for everyone on here pointing out one team's list against another team's budget and yet other team's win/loss records etc... etc... Well, I agree with KET, it's funny how Cairns right now are probably the hot team no one wants to play!!

Sydney had one of the best lists for a number of years, but couldn't get it done, Melbourne, the same, only one team can win the championship so there will be 8 teams who what exactly, are losers, really let's get a grip guys...

Nothing is equal, there are rules, apply them and let teams do their best to roll the dice and try to win every game they can, there is so much more to get right rather than try to make things impossibly 'EQUAL'...

Reply #779889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL Perth is a poor club.

Cotton the highest paid import in the Nbl, brought in mid-season to guarantee finals.

Norton and Kay brought over with an offer the Hawks couldn't get close to.

Until a few years ago Perth out-spent everyone, propped up by a sugar daddy owner.

Perth now sooking because Melbourne and Sydney are beating them at their own game.

Reply #779897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth still spending big, White wasn't coming back till they paid what he wanted. White would’ve gone back to Korea where they pay big in a lot easier competition than nbl.
The pecking order of spending would be United,Cats, Kings and Phoenix would be up there as well.

Reply #779910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Until a few years ago Perth out-spent everyone, propped up by a sugar daddy owner."

Perth may have outspent others, but they weren't "propped up" at all. Yes, Bendat is wealthy but he has always ensured the club is profitable and sustainable. Can we say the same about Sydney?

Reply #779913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can say the same about Sydney, you just don't want to believe it.

Reply #779924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no evidence to suggest that Sydney are sustainable or not. Perth has got the runs on the board.

Reply #779925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth may have outspent others, but they weren't "propped up" at all."
What utter piffle. Clearly you don't remember the days when Perth were losing money.
Selective memories it seems. This is one the exact reasons Perth are hated. "Oh no we have never cheated"

Reply #779928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Clearly you don't remember the days when Perth were losing money."

When was this?

Reply #779929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably when Vlahov and Longley were running the show, before sugar daddy came along.

Reply #779935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is the highest paid in the league. Don't listen to what anyone else about that. Even Melbourne balked at the price Perth offered Nick Kay, and MU are the highest spending club.

Reply #779937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um, the context of this discussion is about the Cats in the Bendat era. The giveaway was referencing Bendat in the very next sentence.

Maybe try reading next time instead of using words like piffle.

Reply #779939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh so you think bendant wasn't involved then? Dream on.

Reply #779942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok I think someone has had a bit too much smoke inhalation.

Reply #779944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes so the cats were a basket case, wealthy owner turns up bails them out, spends more than every one else for championships but when other clubs do it the league won't survive. All you people that can predict the future please put out the lotto numbers. Bendant dies you will be back to challenge stadium.

Reply #779950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has both lost money and made money with Bendat underpinning it

Currently they are about break even due to the spending required to keep pace

Reply #779952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendant dies you will be back to challenge stadium.

No.

Reply #779969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendant will look after the club for 2-3 years he has said after he's gone. So if they break even this year how much will they lose next year?

Don't worry Jack will cover that. Kinda pointless having all these chips when the club is essentially broke.Eh.

Reply #779970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF are you all talking about. It was reported in a financial article that Wildcats made 1M PROFIT 3 seasons ago. Nothing has changed since then, if anything the advertising dollars is going up and up.

Reply #779971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess you still don't know what sustainable means.

Reply #779972 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bendant dies you will be back to challenge stadium.
Being at RAC Arena is literally the thing that allowed them to make a profit in the first place, so no.

It was reported in a financial article that Wildcats made 1M PROFIT 3 seasons ago. Nothing has changed since then
Uh, no.

2014 was significantly more than three seasons ago and a lot has changed since then. For example, the fact that they lost money in 2015, which was mentioned in literally the same article you're referring to. A couple of months later, they merged with the Lynx which would have dramatically altered their financial situation all on its own. Then Kestleman bought the NBL and their Wildcats salary costs doubled.

Reply #779981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Perth were the ones who decided all those years ago "we are professionals" and we have to train twice a day back in the day.
That's when the salaries went up and up and the likes of the smaller clubs were kicked out.
Finally the salary cap had a points cap to assist.
Since (as mentioned above) LK has taken over the salaries are exorbitant continue to climb.
The NBL was equalised and everyone shared the same costs for travel, flights, accom etc. Once again LK in and it became effe tively an arms race to see who could spend the most.

Reply #779995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes Perth were the ones who decided all those years ago "we are professionals" and we have to train twice a day back in the day.
That's when the salaries went up and up and the likes of the smaller clubs were kicked out."

Of all the absolute horseshit that I've read on this forum, this takes the cake.

"Finally the salary cap had a points cap to assist."

I heard the guy that created that is an idiot.

Reply #779999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no points cap now and with teams like Perth now only breaking even is there really any point?
LK has allowed this and we are back to the future it's out of control.
If you have any issues with the points cap go read Bob Bellotti's books and then you might understand. Unlikely how ever.
Strange thing was that it worked.
Back to the future.

Reply #780021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok Bruce.

Reply #780022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The points system had mediocre players and teams, Perth used it to keep their players and NZ had the tall black side plus imports. No one else got a look in. You want a decent league spend the money on teams, promotion etc. or you can go back to the crap that was dished up with all decent players heading overseas for more money and the league folding. At least if it folds now LK had a go, not like all the naysayers on here.

Reply #780025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, remember the years that Rotnei Clarke and Brian Elbows Conklin were winning MVP. That is what Perth fans want. MVP Dan Grida!

Reply #780028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The points system had mediocre players and teams, Perth used it to keep their players"

Haven't Perth won 2 of the 3 championships since the system changed?

Reply #780029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've won 3 of the 4 championships since LK took over

Reply #780030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, remember the years that Rotnei Clarke and Brian Elbows Conklin were winning MVP. That is what Perth fans want. MVP Dan Grida!

Where do people come up with this shit?

Reply #780031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The same place as all these fools who claim they know without any shred of evidence what teams are spending, that it isn't sustainable, or that teams are cheating when everything is perfectly within the rules.

Reply #780032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how does that lead you to conclude that Perth wants guys like Conklin and Grida to win MVP? That's the dumbest thing you've said today.

Reply #780034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what you think!

Reply #780037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #780039 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The points system had mediocre players and teams, Perth used it to keep their players and NZ had the tall black side plus imports. No one else got a look in.

This is incorrect.

The Hawks had just as much advantage out of the points system as the Wildcats thanks to the tenure discounts from Rhys Martin, Foreman, Davison, Coenraad, and Demos.

Reply #780042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has somebody cooked a cheap batch of meth? The tweakers are out in force.

One drugged out spastic makes a comment about Perf being poor, and the rest of you lunatics all start gushing your usual perf sucks diatribe.

How many times do I have to pound this into your thick heads?
It isn't about Perth.

Perth might decide to match Sydney. Or they might not. They will still be competitive as we saw last weekend. Same goes for Melbourne. Wait for next year to see what Phoenix do but their owner has more than a few dollars to play with.

The problem is teams like Adelaide, Cairns, Illawarra, etc. We dont have the money to keep up. Cairns playing well above themselves this year and deserve to make the playoffs and probably will. But they wont go any further, they dont have the depth.

I do understand the agro directed at Perth and I not saying they should be exempt from criticism. Last year watching them steal Kay and Norton from the Hawks was rude and then signing another gun import in White was rubbing salt into the wound. In a more equal comp that wouldn't be allowed.

Reply #780096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You make some good points about Perth. We should expand on those.

Reply #780097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is equal in the world let at all sport, there will always be have and have nots. The tax seems to be working ok with all sides this season with reasonable rosters, Yes the top three go probably deeper but there is always going to that affect. The league has put pressure on Illawarra just recently to get two more imports and helped them fund it. NZ and Brisbane have good rosters but injuries and poor form has kept them crap. Illawarra have an inexperienced coach which probably didn't help. All other sides are doing good, doesn’t mean you don’t lose games and win others, f..k Adelaide smashed Perth in Perth two weeks a go.

Reply #780101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"put pressure on Illawarra just recently to get two more imports and helped them fund it."

I don't believe that second part is true at all.

Reply #780104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra owner wasn't paying so a deal was worked out between club and league. Illawarra is a small community re basketball, information gets out.

Reply #780110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok so its made up then. Cool.

Reply #780111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the fact that they needed a bail out clearly shows it isn't all working well.

Reply #780119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If funding from the league was available, why did they need to pressure the Hawks? That isn't how the tax is meant to work at all.

Reply #780122 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Because Matt Campbell has no interest in winning.

He is on record saying the Hawks are there for developing players, nothing about winning or even trying for the playoffs.

They are happy to be the sideshow.

Reply #780127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that comment was him trying to find a silver lining in their season, as it had become apparent early on that they won't be competitive.

Reply #780128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coincidentally I spoke to someone who is close to a GM of one of the NBL clubs and his exact quote was "we have not seen 1 single cent of the Luxury tax".

Reply #780131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure the GM of the Kings hasn't seen any money from luxury tax receipts

Reply #780138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean the Hawks probably don't deserve it. It's there to help make the team more competitive, not line the owners pockets. Brooks has been out for the season for how many weeks now, and no attempt to replace him. Melo Ball, their biggest draw, is being paid for the most part by the League. And if it's really a case of fans not turning up for the games, well, that is really on them isn't it. Much the same as it was for Townsville. Sure, it sucks for the people who do turn up (and pour beers on opposing players), but the fairweather Johnson's don't really deserve a team.

Reply #780142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks owe money everywhere allegedly.

Reply #780145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks owe no money, it's just the current owner likes keeping his money tight. I believe there is an other interested party but won’t put money in unless he gets control.

Boone, Blanchfield, Ogilvy, Anderson while not on Prather, Cotton type of money would still be on dollars. Dech and Grida were required at Perth but also left so could be useful money as well, while Naar came with highly rated credentials from college so could be on reasonable as well. In saying all that it doesn’t mean you always perform to your wage packet.

It doesn’t take that much to get to the cap.

Reply #780146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are #101 and #142 the same person?

Reply #780148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone broke, Anderson broken, Blanchfield can hoop but shouldn't be paid top $.
Olgilvy meh. Dech and Grida, double meh.
Pay the cap by all means but that side is shit sorry to say. Melo I have never been impressed by. NBA #1 pick? Says how bad his opposition is.
He's 18 he will develop for sure by maybe in another 2-3 years. He will get beat up in the NBA at that age and lack of defence and shooting ability.

Reply #780151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They might be meh, double meh in your opinion but they still get paid.
Ball will be top 3 draft pick and be outstanding, you have no idea really.

Reply #780157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are not. One is a scholar and a gentleman, the other is a scoundrel. I'll leave it up to you to decide who is who.

Reply #780202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope they do get paid ;)

Reply #780211 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754