Shayno
Years ago

Boxing out

Just had a disagreement with a domestic ref, according to him u can box out anywhere on the court as long as the rebound is in dispute even if the ball is down the other end

This makes absolute no sense and has me questioning life it self!

Is it me that's out of touch or the referees?

Topic #46520 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

That ref clearly hasn't been watching NBL- don't they realise boxing out is no longer allowed?

Reply #780033 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

if he didn't watch a video replay he's clearly not a real ref

Reply #780036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which night is this and which stadium?

Reply #780043 | Report this post

if you get there first you can occupy any space on the court - the question is why would you box out anyone the other end of the court ? It's a rebounding technique - the other end of the court you should just deny - but nobody has the ball...... Unless a super strong slam dunk has hit the back of the rim and the ball has jettisoned metres into the air - I've never seen a rebound go past 1/3 of the court - unless I'm on NBA 2K

Reply #780048 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Shayno

Where on the court did the boxing out occur? Most people wouldn't bother much further than the limits of the key.

Or was it a bit of argh-bargy being justified as "boxing out"?

Reply #780051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares anyway boxing out is useless nowadays.
Your better off just hunting the rebound, no one boxes out in the NBA

Reply #780062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are at a disadvantage if you box out because you are grounded whereas an athletic player can jump all over the top and grab the rebound

Reply #780063 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

The box out occured at the 3 point line corner on the opposite side of the court to where the shot was going boxing out a player who wasn't anywhere near the shot/rebound

This was in vic but my point is u cant throw a full court pass then box out down the opposite end. The ball has to be in the vicinity.

Its like footy and Shepparding, ball has to be in the vicinity

Reply #780106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are not at a disadvantage if you box out. In fact that is the only way you can stop a more athletic player getting airborne.

Reply #780112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The box out occured at the 3 point line corner on the opposite side of the court to where the shot was going boxing out a player who wasn't anywhere near the shot/rebound"

He's allowed to do that. If you intended to crash the boards, why can't he box you out?

Reply #780113 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Shayno, feel free to cite the rule you think exists regarding this.

Reply #780125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rule 17.6.2(ii) - a player shall not box out Shayno when he doesn't feel like being boxed out, even if the ball is down the other end of the court in a hypothetical argument.

Reply #780126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not state which stadium or night so can't help....

Reply #780139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like many things in coaching it depends on various factors I think. There is little about rebounding that is set in stone. Although Bobby Knight might have argued: put a body on the player and hold contact. Myself, I say if you are up against a very good offensive rebounder hit him and seal him off. Doesn't matter if you don't get the ball, make sure he doesn't.

Reply #780140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like many things in coaching it depends on various factors I think. There is little about rebounding that is set in stone. Although Bobby Knight might have argued: put a body on the player and hold contact. Myself, I say if you are up against a very good offensive rebounder hit him and seal him off. Doesn't matter if you don't get the ball, make sure he doesn't.

Reply #780141 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

I cant find any rules towards boxing out but my point remains u cant box out when u are no where near the ball, its illegal contact.

I am questioning to where it becomes a legal box out??

According to this ref u can box out anywhere on the court as long as the rebound is in dispute which i argue is utter crap.

And u cant box me out if i dont come off the bench.

Reply #780217 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"Doesn't matter if you don't get the ball, make sure he doesn't."

1 of the first things I learnt. My man wasn't to get the rebound

I watch the very best play (on TV. NBA & NBL) and am most disappointed at this facet of the game. The usual excuse/reasoning I hear for this lack of boxing out is that the athletes are just too fast/good and they blow right past. I can understand that PoV but not every player is going to beat you, are they? The best will. But I bet with technique and as much dedication, the old box-out would still be viable in today's game.

Reply #780224 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I cant find any rules towards boxing out but my point remains u cant box out when u are no where near the ball, its illegal contact.
If that's true, there should be a rule saying so. Cite it.

Reply #780225 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"And u cant box me out if i dont come off the bench.“

Gold. There's a meme right there.

Reply #780241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I cant find the rule but its illegal" is also meme-worthy

Reply #780245 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Ok as requested i cite rule 33.5, 33.9 and 34 1.1.

I would believe that boxing out where u are no where near the ball is illegal contact therefore a foul.

There are no specific rules when it comes down to boxing out but i would categorise it under either blocking or guarding off the ball.

And someone said why would u box out full court?? Thats what im trying to understand because according to this ref u can which i say is a lie.

Reply #780249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My question is, why would you care if someone boxed you out full court? Even if its "illegal", how does it impact you?

Reply #780257 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Shayno scouting report

Strengths - ?

Weakness - Hates being boxed out, especially in the backcourt.

Defender instructions - During pre game shoot around walk to the opposition end and start boxing Shayno out.

Alternatively begin boxing him out as he gets off the bench to check into the game.

Reply #780258 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Shayno

Don't play on December 26th.

Reply #780273 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ok as requested i cite rule 33.5, 33.9 and 34 1.1.
How on earth do you think any of those rules back you up here?

Reply #780281 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Ahhh the hoops forum.....i should of known better.

U live and u learn!

Reply #780282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't get shitty cos no one agrees with your interpretation of a rule that doesn't exist!

Reply #780283 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

None of those rules are about boxing out, nor do any of them mention the location of the ball. You're wrong.

Reply #780286 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

If the rebound is up for grabs it's boxing out, if there is no rebound up for grabs it’s general play. If the boxing out manoeuvre was simply positioning in front of you then that wouldn’t break any general play rule, unless he continued to block you while you moved.

Reply #780323 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

I once again state there are no Official rules on boxing out hence why I will still believe that you cannot box out full court!!

State the rule where you can?

Reply #780369 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You're the one saying the rule exists.

Reply #780371 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Yes true because when you are not in the vicinity of the ball its no longer a box out and becomes illegal contact aka a Sheppard hence a foul.

Reply #780374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were you in a position to crash the boards? How hard did this guy box you out?

Reply #780379 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes true because when you are not in the vicinity of the ball its no longer a box out and becomes illegal contact aka a Sheppard hence a foul.
So point to the rule that says that.

Reply #780381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm trying to imagine this box out in my head, and it’s pretty hilarious. But I feel for you Shayno, maybe try "boxing out" the ref? Probably best to do this in the car park.

Reply #780417 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Some good laughs in this thread. Clueless Shayno and friendless pedant koberulz. Double Clutch was the only one who actually intentionally was funny.

Reply #780424 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

I will box out everyone i see now, no matter the game.

Think im just going to stay on the pine these days, check in for the last few seconds, get the ball, record the turnover then wander slowly back into the night.

Reply #780434 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Why stop there Shayno? Why not box everyone out as you walk around town. There are no referees on the streets as they say.

Reply #780450 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:22 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754