Jetty
Years ago

Illawarra Assoc reject Bevo

The Illawarra Basketball Association AGM was this week and it seems they voted against Rob Beveridge as a director.

Does anyone have any insight on WTH is going on with that?

I'm nowhere near knowing how the IBA or any other Assoc operates, but it looks to me like a complete balls up by members, or incumbent cronies not willing to give up their power. Or has Bevo really pissed off the locals?

To me it seems utter madness.

I grew up in the Gong and have recently moved back to raise my family. My 8 year old son is just discovering the game, and I of course think he's headed to the NBA, as any parent would. Is the association that dysfunctional?
It alarmed me last week watching the latest Hawks video where Flynn presented Dent with his first Jersey and minced no words in pointing out that getting to the top level in Wollongong is particularly challenging... What's all that about?

Any insights much appreciated.

Topic #46528 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Bevo had not done anything to piss off the locals. He is extremely well respected in the Illawarra.

I was not at the meeting but my understanding is that is was because a handful of Board members who held the majority of the proxy votes (between themselves and their associates) did not want to give up the majority of voting they currently hold on the Board. It 100% shows their motives are not in the best interests of the Association of basketball in general.

Reply #780263 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bevo's already worn out his welcome at two NBL clubs so this doesn't surprise me, seems to be a difficult personality.

Reply #780264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is always more than meets the eye with Bevo.

Reply #780265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Zodiac

Load of crap!

Reply #780269 | Report this post

Jetty  
Years ago

Thanks for the insight #263. I can't say I'm surprised and completely agree it smacks of self interest.

It isn't that far to get to sutherland stadium...

Reply #780294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sutherland stadium is an hour up the road minimum from Wollongong and more the further you get into the Illawarra. All these associations are run on self interest, it stinks.

Reply #780309 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Whatever life throws at Bevo nothing will be as bad as when Marvin jettisoned him. #battletested

Reply #780311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably worked out better for the Cats, don't you think?

Reply #780313 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

313, compared to the hypothetical of Bevo winning Perth more or fewer championships than they have since he left?

Reply #780316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, Bevo would have won 8 titles in the past 6 seasons HES THAT GOOD, EVERYONE LOVES HIM!!!

Reply #780318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just remember that two pillars of those championship teams, Damian Martin and Matty Knight, followed Bevo over from West Sydney. Three finals in four seasons is better than ain't bad, just a shame for him that he ran into the NZ national team (+2 imports).

Reply #780414 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Hey @Jetto, the juniors actually runs really well, there's lots of good people doing lots of good stuff for our kids.

Personally, I coach an U/10 girls team, a couple of U/14 teams & an U/16s team, so I see a lot & as a whole, the association runs really well with strong links to the NBL Hawks.

Side note - we have a very strong development program at Bulli High for our Basketballers, so hit me up if you're in that neighbourhood : )

Reply #780491 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

*Jetty

Reply #780492 | Report this post

Bouncing 40  
Years ago

Strong links with the NBL Hawks... yeah nah.

Reply #780531 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

^Bouncing 40, don't know what you're watching, but the players give back big time!

They're around 'coaching' as part of their community engagement program + stacks of the younger ballers are always there watching juniors & having a positive impact on the youths.

Throw in to that Timmy Coenraad's Rebound Nutrition training sessions (which a few of the NBL guys also coach at) & I'd say that's pretty strong.

You don't have too many (if any) associations that share their training base with the NBL team... So whether the links are intentional or not, they're definitely there : )

Reply #780539 | Report this post

Jetty  
Years ago

Thanks Air Delay for the reassurance, and good on ya for giving back to the game so much with your coaching. As I mentioned in my first post, I don't know how the IBA operates nor how successfully it has been run in recent years, so it's good to get that little bit of insight.

Reply #780877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Air Delay one of the best coaches in the business, a true gentleman as well.

Reply #780890 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

OMG - I have fans!

Thanks Anonymous : )

Reply #780955 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:02 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754