Jack Toft
Years ago

United v Kings Dec 14

Can this round get any better?

Cairns and Cats kicked it off on Thursday in front of a packed house with a game that could have gone either way of it wasn't for the brilliance that is "Cotton Candy" Last night SEM scored the highest losing score in a 40 min game in Mitch Creek’s homecoming game to his old stomping ground in a game that was undecided until the very last second. Don’t worry, Joey tried his best to lose it in true Sixers fashion.... (Classic Joey move 101: Shall we put Teys on in the clutch?)

Just when fans though they had time to pop around to the Mother in Law’s for a cuppa, this game will give them an excuse to plop on the couch. The top placed Kings lock horns with United, who are doing their very best to get to number one, but hey, they are Victorians so they are used to being #2 behind New South Welshmen.

I would like to say that both teams carry reasonable form into this game, but Sydney had a woeful weekend last weekend. They crunched their gears in the West and then when the Snakes slithered into the Harbour City, they were no match for the hottest team in the league. They called for it, but the anti-venom did not come in time. Yep, double dacked in a weekend.

For Sydney, was it just a shocking weekend, or have the Violet Crumbles returned? It would be a shame to see them crash and burn, but serious questions need to be asked whether their suburb early form has evaporated and now they are just another team.

United took some time to get out of the blocks, but are travelling quite nicely now. CG43 celebrating his 300th in style last round and there's no reason why the party won't continue.

United by 7

Topic #46533 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Really tough ask for Sydney, and why the Cairns game last week was so important. Could easily be a 3 game losing streak after tonight. Melbourne have their issues but they are the most potent offensive team in the league when they get clicking, although so far its been more with individual brilliance than anything team orientated, and they are just as prone to long stretches of bad, one or zero pass offense. If the Kings can keep United under 90 and Bogut can neutralize Long, I think we have a chance.

Reply #780462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney are stuttering, it's amazing that a player of Mollers caliber could make the difference on how the kings have performed last up starts. It’s the hustle plays, box outs D and big boards required that was missed. Lisch should have helped that and he would have been much better this week after returning from injury but is out also. Cook should be available that should help but will also be rusty. Weaver will have the kings ready but Vickerman can smell blood. Prather showing better form last start and with Long and Trimble firing I don’t think the kings can go the distance. Some great other match up though Bogut v Long, Ware v Trimble, Newley v McCarron, Barlow v Tate. Can Louzada keep Goulding quiet, don’t think so. United by 8.

Should be a great game.

Reply #780463 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is Moller back?

Reply #780474 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Moller isn't back

Reply #780475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne to win, Bogut to stuff the stat sheet

Reply #780479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Xavier Cook is playing

Reply #780480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller is a loss but Cook is a good replacement.

Reply #780482 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

No Moller & no doubt no adjustment on Kings defense again this weekend means this one might get ugly.
United win it

Reply #780484 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great review Andy Brown...oops, I mean Jack Toft

Reply #780489 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What an appetising entree.

Reply #780493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal is so annoying with his Bogues this and Kicks that

Reply #780494 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Never ceases to amaze me how many folks confuse Gaze with Heal.

Reply #780495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is excellent, Heal is a pain in the arse.

Good game.

Reply #780498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it never cesars to amaze me that Heal still has a job in the NBL

Reply #780500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is unbelievable how well Sydney are coping with the absence of Moller so far.

Reply #780501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaver is one smart coach, Cook been a good addition. Good game.

Reply #780502 | Report this post

Malcolm  
Years ago

Cooks not Cook.
Certainly an upgrade over Kuany.
Moller overrated.

Reply #780503 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah impressed by Cooks' D. 16 point lead doesn't mean a lot versus Melbourne though, so should be a good 2nd half.

Reply #780504 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bogut gets a nice long break now I guess. Sheesh

Reply #780505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs are on one... As usual

Reply #780506 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

With the way this game is being called, good thing we all tunes in for the Kickert/Smith-Milner matchup

Reply #780507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do we know the euro ref's name? He is awful

Reply #780508 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If they are going to call that foul there as Bruce drives inside... Jeezus. Even as a kings fan, that's horrible.

Reply #780509 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Is it just me or have the crowd mics been turned down for the last couple of games? Hard to pick up the atmosphere from Adelaide's game last night and in Melbourne now.

Reply #780510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks been handy, no way Moller is over rated. When there both up and going kings will be even stronger. Newley, Tate, also makes super strong in the 3-4 position.

Reply #780511 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Vintage Cotton flail from Ware

Reply #780512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RIP Prather

Reply #780513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather off injured yet again
Long fouled out

Reply #780514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron so over rated. Melbourne wasted the money on Long , Trimble and Prather.

Reply #780515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings smash United
Purchase hits a 3
Fans of both teams end up happy.

Reply #780516 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Is Jack Purchase related to Nigel Purchase, and did Nigel play for the Gaze Tigers???

Just Drew's excitement

Reply #780517 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

United should give Crockett a call.

Reply #780518 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What an utterly pointless and boring cash burn United are this season. Surely Vince is on his last chance.

Reply #780519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was not quite the blockbuster I was hoping for.

Reply #780520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Malcom said "Moller overrated" Man if you knew the guy and his commitment to the game you would never say that. Outstanding player and person.

Reply #780521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne showing that you can have the most expensive team in history of the nbl but if you can't play team you are f..led. Melbourne look unhappy and like there exploding from the inside. Big names all playing bad and there bench have gone backwards big time since there championship. They clearly needed an athletic 3/4 man yet they went with Prather who hadn’t played in 18 months and even in there premiership season only played a third. McCarron gone backwards, Barlow getting older quickly. Long and Trimble have lots of defensive problems. If homicide thinks Long better than Bogut he has no idea. They could miss the finals. Lol for the money spent.

Reply #780523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller biggest asset is his commitment to the team, plus as Gaze said in commentary previously he broke all athletic testings. Kids got game considering he was an afl player a few seasons back.

Weaver doesn't chase fools.

Reply #780525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know how the guy that collapsed behind the Kings bench is?

Reply #780528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sick of watching players stuck on the bench due to soft fouls. The referees have ruined these past 2 Sydney/Melbourne games.

Reply #780534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was a tough watch live in the arena, ouch

Reply #780545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sick of people saying bubbles and sobey could be nba standard .nba is big boys basketball .bubbles slow can’t play defence not athletic. Sobey everything .

Reply #780546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather did a hamstring, will Melbourne persist or go looking for a true four man?

Reply #780555 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Casper has been reading the media talk about Machado this week. Huge game. Right there with Cotton and Creek as MVP favorite.

Kings offense flowed better. United was too often going one pass, Iso then shot

Kings again showing why they're clear favs. Elite at both ends, no weaknesses really. Hard to see anyone beating them 3 times in 5 games if they're healthy

And they have loads of guys who attack the rim, they play smart too, with the way it's being called this year they're very hard to stop. Not as bad as last week but another over reffed game today

Reply #780569 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Also if Prather did his hammy badly, a new import could rejuvenate United ala Felix 2 years ago

Someone like Felix would be a good addition actually. Priority 1 would surely be an elite defender and a lower usage guy who fits alongside the high usage guys

Reply #780570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

deng adel

Reply #780571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather's injury could be a blessing in disguise for Melbourne, as they can now use the league's new rules to replace him with two imports and a marquee.

Reply #780581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Weaver is one smart coach, Cook been a good addition. Good game."

When Weaver questioned the lunch menu, he was told he could have a steak, or the chef could drop his dacks and shit on Will's plate.
He went with the steak, clearly a very smart guy.

Reply #780582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Moller biggest asset is his commitment to the team"

Yeah, his commitment to Melbourne has been outstanding.

Plus you lost me completely when you wrote "as Gaze said."

Reply #780583 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Melbourne gave up on Moller. He sat on the bench. Weaver gave him the confidence and the minutes. For that matter, nobody wanted the King's bench. Walker, Bruce, Kickert, Moller... Weaver did the work, saw the potential, coached them up and reinspired them. They are playing their buts off for a coach and team that gives a rats ass about them. Moller doesn't owe Melbourne any loyalty.

Reply #780588 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Jack toft United by 7. Anonymous United by 8. George. United win.

Reply #780589 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

Cooks seems a great addition for Sydney. His, Tate and Moller's hustle, speed and length are crazy. And they'll add Lisch to that as well

Reply #780590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the person who wrote "Sydney struggling without Moller" please put the cue back in the rack. Silly comment

Reply #780592 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

To me, the elephant in the room is Vickerman's coaching and team selection, which I’m still not convinced by.

The squad isn’t balanced. And either his players aren’t following his instructions, or they’re often the wrong instructions. (I’ve commented on this in other seasons, too.)

I AM a coach, and I know I couldn’t do any better, but I’m sure there are other coaches out there who could do better with this squad.

Reply #780602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The comment was right, Cook did the Moller stuff, the previous weekend losses show his worth. Tate, Moller, Cook and Newley all very good and they have length, speed and play D.
The team Weaver is building is going to be gone for a few seasons.

Reply #780603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game just showed why perth is still the front runners for the title. Melbourne bench is a joke and bogut against a good opponent is useless.
Perth have bench depth and a good big.

Reply #780609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Cook.

Reply #780610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say Perth have a good big Hunt and Majok are probably amongst the worst centre combos in the league.

Reply #780611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay is a big

Reply #780638 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754