Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v United Dec 16

A new look Hawks team has had the full round to prepare for this clash. It will be interesting to see how a Ball-less Hawks with some new blood in the form of Billy Preston deal with a United team who crashed and burned earlier in the round against Sydney. Will those Cockroaches make it 2 from 2, or will the Soy Boys take advantage of the bottom of the table Hawks?

Sydney came back strongly against Melbourne by opening up a can of Whoop to beat them by 23 points on Saturday. Casper Ware dropping 28 against his old team and Tate plucking 12 boards giving the Bogieman a yellow slip in the process saying "take a seat old man, I've got this" For United, it was a sea of red ink on the scorecard. McCarron scoreless, Prather off injured, Long fouled out, Acuil fouled out. Everyone is entitled to one shocking game per season and I think United opened up that cage and released that grey pigeon instead of that white dove.

But the problem with releasing white doves is that there is always a Hawk willing to swoop. They have had 9 days between their last game against Brisbane and this. They went in without Ball and perhaps this 9 day break is what they need to shake down some moves and re-invigorate their plays. It's not like they are completely horrible, they just can't seem to score when they need to. The average winning score this season is 97, but they are only scoring 86 at home and 87 on the road. They are falling short by 11 ppg, which is simply 6 FG or 4 three pointers. It's not much, but significant.

I don't think it's a lack of shots on goal, they are putting them up, but it is just the execution and some silly turnovers.

You can put this one down as a danger game for United. If the Hawks have used their break wisely and got Bancroft Brand sand paper to polish off their rough edges to work on some plays and their shooting, United might be in for a shock. If they have been out on the breakwater at Thirroul with Oscar catching some waves, then United have this one by 30.

Despite their best attempts, United have got this one

Topic #46551 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm keen to see the new hawks imports.

Reply #780911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very hard to bring in imports this time of the season and have them as straight up contributors. United are struggling but will be to good for an Illawarra team minus Ball. This might just the game to play United into form.

United easy, 10 plus.

Reply #780927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love Monday night NBL
You're back to the grind at work on a Monday morning, the weekend just a memory, and then you are reminded that there is still one more game of basketball left. It's like finding an unexpected $10 in the pocket when you chuck on a pair of jeans.
It's a pity the Hawks will be flogged in this one but I'm still happy there will be a game to watch.

Reply #780928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks by 10+. United to implode!

Reply #780930 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Danger game indeed

The whole Hawks team will feel rejuvenated.

Imports often bring their best in game 1, and there's two of them.

But, beware the wounded beast. United will be hungry and have too much talent.

Start is key. Don't let the Hawks get any confidence up. Crowd will be hyped to see the new boys. Silence them early and roll it home.

Reply #780935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, Monday nights are fantastic.

Reply #780939 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Jack

School kids, Illawarra Eunuchs, what's next?

Reply #780967 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

With the announcement of Dan Shamir's extension, look for the Hawks to come out firing.

Hobson and Preston to each drop a 20-piece.

Home team by 4.

Reply #780969 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"With the announcement of Dan Shamir's extension, look for the Hawks to come out firing."

What does the Breakers re-signing Shamir have to do with the Hawks?

Reply #780983 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

There is no breakwater in Thirroul....

Reply #780992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nbl has prather in the lineup

Reply #780997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dech starting over naar at pg

Reply #780998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never thought I'd see the day where I thought Peter Hooley was a better commentator than the great Andrew Gaze! And I mean nothing to do with basketball knowledge. Every word Gaze says is a passive aggressive backhanded comment or even back handed compliment. It's s snotty little jab followed by a "but makes the shot". It does my head in! Mate we know no one is as good as you were! We are not arguing it, nor do we want to. Just let your guard down and enjoy some hoops mate! You don't need to shit on everything!

Reply #781007 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Just need Thursday night games now. Ideal for Summer!

Reply #781008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble making Naar look like Steph Curry.

Commentary so much bias towards Melbourne.

Reply #781010 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hobson seems ... Erratic

Reply #781011 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

new hawks imports have looked terrible so far.

Reply #781012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a terrible quality game so far. Smith milner sucks.

Reply #781013 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

ugly basketball what a terrible showcase for aussie bball

Reply #781014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are awful

Reply #781015 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Critics are out. Looks like a good battle. United off their game. New Hawks imports trying to find their feet. If they can start making some shots Hawks are a chance.

Reply #781016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early days on the imports, they seem to be ok, should be fine when they settle. Melbourne defensively are woeful, very unusual for a vickerman coached team.
Will will Melbourne explode or coast home is the question. Go the hawks.

Reply #781017 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Imports definitely give the Hawks more length on D. Imagine how good they'd be playing if the Hawks had signed them a week or two after Brooks went down.

Reply #781022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobson looks good

Reply #781024 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Always a highlight the NRL or AFL interviews rather than focusing on I don't know Basketball

Reply #781026 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Naar has to stop picking up his dribble.

Reply #781027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Hawks would be trying to get shooters with their new imports... These two look the opposite so far.

Reply #781035 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Preston and Blanchfield: the NBLs answer to the Splash Brothers.

Reply #781037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield has been woeful.

Reply #781038 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

the hawks are a disgrace for the game of basketball man just delete this club

Reply #781039 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Blanchfield, Preston, Hobson and Grida 4 from 35 at 11%. That is Kevin White territory!

Reply #781040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did hawks get these imports? Better of getting some local players. They have zero fundamentals and look like they're forcing themselves instead of trying to fit in.

Reply #781041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who do the hawks bring back next year or pickup from free agency

Reply #781044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard they were force by the nbl to sign imports

Reply #781046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks should just scrap this season and focus on their own players. Wasting money and not developing

Reply #781047 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Goulding on fire from deep.

Reply #781048 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

United play terrible and still win by 21.

Reply #781049 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The imports definitely need to be upgraded. What are AD Smith and Ontario Lett doing these days?

Reply #781050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it took the hawks a month to recruit those 2 trash imports. The hawks general manager should be sacked pronto.

Reply #781051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The hawks should of just signed liz cambage.

Reply #781052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV if imports usually bring their best in their first game, well...

Reply #781054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks need new owner, till he's gone they are going no where. Main reason Bevo checked out.

Reply #781058 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Is this the Hawks' way of sticking it up the NBL for forcing them to spend money they didn't want to spend?

The Hawks are trash.

Even Matt Campbell has no endeavour to win....he admitted it in an interview.

Reply #781077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the hawks and taipans aren't championship teams just development teams

my guess 2 yrs from now

Sam froling 36ers replace DJ
Grida wildcats replace Wagstaff
Emmett Naar Euro or new franchise
Sunday Dech Wildcats replace Martin

Reply #781080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have the hawks made money with Lamelo ball playing for them

Reply #781081 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

They're breaking even so far.

Reply #781084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1st time this year United have not conceded at least 90 points.

Reply #781087 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I was there for most of the game and agree with Angus, if those imports came in shortly after Brooks went down, they'd be decent now...

I enjoyed watching Naar be more aggressive, a downside to Lamelo coming on board was a significant drop off from him...

Reply #781089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naar was good in the first half when one on one with Trimble, the second half was like all season after United adjusted. Hawks are woeful.

Reply #781095 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Being matched up on Melo is a great way for any young guard to get their confidence offensively.

Reply #781114 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754